The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medici103
VR was 760. What was yours?

Oh it was awful. Not even 600.
Original post by VARRRDAQ
Oh it was awful. Not even 600.

You could still be ok. Wasn't the cut off for VR around 570 last year?
You could still be ok. Wasn't the cut off for VR around 570 last year?

Not worth the risk I would say! Best not to take any chances when there are other Unis with which I would feel more comfortable.
Not worth the risk I would say! Best not to take any chances when there are other Unis with which I would feel more comfortable.

Where else are you thinking of applying?
Where else are you thinking of applying?

I'm sitting GAMSAT too so probably GAMSAT unis. Not decided yet. You?
I'm sitting GAMSAT too so probably GAMSAT unis. Not decided yet. You?

I'm sitting GAMSAT as well so was going to pick two UKCAT (Bart's and Warwick) and two GAMSAT (St. George's and Swansea). Now i don't know whether to go for three UKCAT and one GAMSAT. If I did that then my third UKCAT choice would probably be Soton as I could drive there from my house. The only issue is that I don't know whether my UKCAT is high enough. Never thought I'd have this score and still need to say that.
Really debating sitting both UKCAT and GAMSAT, seeing how I do in those, then possibly sitting the BMAT too. I really like ICL, and with a 2:1 and a good BMAT score will guarantee an interview..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamCW
Really debating sitting both UKCAT and GAMSAT, seeing how I do in those, then possibly sitting the BMAT too. I really like ICL, and with a 2:1 and a good BMAT score will guarantee an interview..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! I don't think I could sit all three without having some sort of breakdown! But if you like Imperial, go for it. Where else were you thinking of applying?
I'm sitting GAMSAT as well so was going to pick two UKCAT (Bart's and Warwick) and two GAMSAT (St. George's and Swansea). Now i don't know whether to go for three UKCAT and one GAMSAT. If I did that then my third UKCAT choice would probably be Soton as I could drive there from my house. The only issue is that I don't know whether my UKCAT is high enough. Never thought I'd have this score and still need to say that.

Exaclty! I'm in the same boat as you, because I got the same score!

GAMSAT unis looks nicer in a way provided you get like 62-63. Are you applying with a gamsat score already or is sept your first sitting?
Original post by AdamCW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you applying in your 3rd year or have you completed your degree?
Exaclty! I'm in the same boat as you, because I got the same score!

GAMSAT unis looks nicer in a way provided you get like 62-63. Are you applying with a gamsat score already or is sept your first sitting?

First sitting. I only booked it because I had convinced myself that my UKCAT score was going to be as diabolical as last year. I was in half a mind to cancel it but then thought about the possibility that my score wouldn't be enough for NCL, King's or Soton.

I'm not enjoying physics revision. Biology is fine, chemistry is ok (95% of the time) but physics.... I thought that physics and I had parted ways forever after GCSE.
First sitting. I only booked it because I had convinced myself that my UKCAT score was going to be as diabolical as last year. I was in half a mind to cancel it but then thought about the possibility that my score wouldn't be enough for NCL, King's or Soton.

I'm not enjoying physics revision. Biology is fine, chemistry is ok (95% of the time) but physics.... I thought that physics and I had parted ways forever after GCSE.

Are you applying for grad courses only?

Yup, physics is quite difficult although I did A level physics so it is manageable. I find biology the difficult as the biology tested is mainly graph analysis.
In my final year of uni at the moment so will be finishing in June.

I really don't know anymore. St Barts was one until I saw that you need a B at AS Level Chemistry to apply.

It all depends on my UKCAT and GAMSAT scores really. I'm just decided whether it's worth the stress of taking the BMAT just to apply to ICL.

I like KCL, Soton, ICL, St Georges, Warwick and Newcastle. So.. 4 of them. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you applying for grad courses only?

Yup, physics is quite difficult although I did A level physics so it is manageable. I find biology the difficult as the biology tested is mainly graph analysis.

Yeah, there is pretty much no way I could afford the 5 year courses unless I win the lottery. If it all goes wrong I thought about studying abroad. Italy, perhaps
Original post by AdamCW
In my final year of uni at the moment so will be finishing in June.

I really don't know anymore. St Barts was one until I saw that you need a B at AS Level Chemistry to apply.

It all depends on my UKCAT and GAMSAT scores really. I'm just decided whether it's worth the stress of taking the BMAT just to apply to ICL.

I like KCL, Soton, ICL, St Georges, Warwick and Newcastle. So.. 4 of them. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you're in a tricky situation where you like Imperial and St Georges, for which you'd have to sit 2 extra exams.

Probably not worth sitting all 3. You want to avoid GAMSAT if you can - it's a gruelling exam and pretty expensive as well! I haven't sat the BMAT before but looks like it looks the nicer of the two exams.
Yeah, there is pretty much no way I could afford the 5 year courses unless I win the lottery. If it all goes wrong I thought about studying abroad. Italy, perhaps

Ah that's a shame. Thought if you get in 4-year courses have their benefits too I suppose, apart from obv being 1 year less, more emphasis on clinical stuff etc
Original post by AdamCW

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are aware that Imperial's course is 5 years, meaning you would have to pay £36k in fees for the first 4 years?
The reason I'm debating doing all three entrance Exams is that I'm currently living in Sweden and won't be back until the beginning of September. My dissertation is also due on the 20th Sep so I'm not sitting my UKCAT until the end of the month.

This means, if I screw up the UKCAT, I can't take GAMSAT and apply there because you sit that exam Sep 14th. And I think I'm correct in saying, the only uni I can apply to with a BMAT result is ICL. I can't apply to UCL or Brighton and I'm not sure who else uses it..

So messing up my UKCAT, to then take BMAT in Nov really only gives me ICL as realistic.. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
And yeah, I am aware of that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 939
Hey guys i'm a current GEM student. Anyone got any questions they would like answering?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending