Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cperkinns2)
    Good luck man. Everything is a times or a divide. Anything too long winded just flag and forget about. Don't forget to pick a option from it though as you'll still have a 1/4 or 1/5 chance of getting it right if you don't get a chance to go back
    Thanks for tips :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immaa)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm an undergraduate and I took the UKCAT today-
    VR 630 QR 800 AR 680 SJT 2
    Worth applying to grad courses or should I just stick to undergrad?
    Can't apply to GEM, unless you are a graduate. Having said that you have an excellent UKCAT score for undergrad entry, Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    Can't apply to GEM, unless you are a graduate. Having said that you have an excellent UKCAT score for undergrad entry, Well done!
    I think the poster means he/she is currently an undergraduate. i.e. going into final year of university. In which case they can apply this coming cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michrab123)
    You can't apply to a grad course unless you are a graduate i.e. have a degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by ah639)
    I think the poster means he/she is currently an undergraduate. i.e. going into final year of university. In which case they can apply this coming cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, sorry I didn't make it quite clear enough haha - I'm a current second year university student Just trying to figure out if I stand a chance for grad entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immaa)
    Yeah, sorry I didn't make it quite clear enough haha - I'm a current second year university student Just trying to figure out if I stand a chance for grad entry?
    Yes, You have a good UKCAT score for GEM. Just try and achieve a high 2.1, 1st in your degree to help your application. But choose your Uni wisely, as it is very competitive! UKCAT score higher the better for GEM.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, You have a good UKCAT score for GEM. Just try and achieve a high 2.1, 1st in your degree to help your application. But choose your Uni wisely, as it is very competitive! UKCAT score higher the better for GEM.
    I'm predicted a first at the moment which unis would you recommend being more cautious of for grad entry?

Are there any grad entry schools which are a little more lenient on the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immaa)
    I'm predicted a first at the moment which unis would you recommend being more cautious of for grad entry?

Barts and Warwick tend to have the lowest cutoff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immaa)

(Original post by Quilverine)
    Barts and Warwick tend to have the lowest cutoff.
    Ditto, Barts is a great shout if you can get yourself a first predicted. Kings is notorious for being grim af on their UKCAT cutoff. Newcastle and Southampton sit somewhere in the middle. Cambridge doesn't require an admissions test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    Ditto, Barts is a great shout if you can get yourself a first predicted. Kings is notorious for being grim af on their UKCAT cutoff. Newcastle and Southampton sit somewhere in the middle. Cambridge doesn't require an admissions test.
    Is it true that Cambridge GEM still looks at GCSE and A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    This is very true. However Cambridge does wants an A grade in Chemistry at A-level. Whilst this is not necessary they do find it highly desirable.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, St Georges are now offering places on the 5 year medicine course through clearing in the 16/17 cycle for the first time ever.

Yes. Seriously. DoH's master plan of NHS destruction is evidently moving swiftly along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any sources concerning Barts' usage of the degree classification? Don't both courses at Barts selects applicants based on UKCAT so as long as they have 2:1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lightingspeed)
    Do you have any sources concerning Barts' usage of the degree classification? Don't both courses at Barts selects applicants based on UKCAT so as long as they have 2:1?
    If you check through the Barts threads from last cycle you'll find that almost all graduate applicants (for either course) with a predicted/achieved 2.i were rejected pre-interview, regardless of UKCAT score.

This was a big surprise since on their website Barts claimed to place 50:50 split on degree and UKCAT when selecting interviewees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    Apparently, St Georges are now offering places on the 5 year medicine course through clearing in the 16/17 cycle for the first time ever.

Yes. Seriously. DoH's master plan of NHS destruction is evidently moving swiftly along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What? :O

I must see this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah639)
    If you check through the Barts threads from last cycle you'll find that almost all graduate applicants (for either course) with a predicted/achieved 2.i were rejected pre-interview, regardless of UKCAT score.

This was a big surprise since on their website Barts claimed to place 50:50 split on degree and UKCAT when selecting interviewees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you know that wasn't due to other reasons such as other grades or work experience or personal statement? Also TSR isn't representative of anyone that applies, so I don't think it's true that people with a 2.1 didn't get in because some applicants got 1sts

None of us know how the admissions really work so there isn't much point speculating based on what it seems on TSR... we won't know until we apply and see what happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah639)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah i see, thanks . Do you know what kind of UCKAT a grad could have (so as long he/she has a 1st) to be in a chance of an interview? 680 (5yr) and 700 (4yr)?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that wasn't due to other reasons such as other grades or work experience or personal statement? Also TSR isn't representative of anyone that applies, so I don't think it's true that people with a 2.1 didn't get in because some applicants got 1sts

None of us know how the admissions really work so there isn't much point speculating based on what it seems on TSR... we won't know until we apply and see what happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not just some of those who got a 2.i who were rejected, it's 99.99%. I was one of them and feedback was that I didn't have a 1st.

My past grades are flawless, so I doubt that would have played a part. I'm not speculating, there is a decent amount of evidence to suggest that 2.i meant no interview for last year's Barts applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness seriously?

I just checked...what on earth? I'm actually interested to see how the number of applicants for medicine this year is affected. I predict there will be no difference to the GEPs programmes as I think generally people by this point are pretty determined to be a Dr no matter what, despite contracts, NHS being bankrupt etc..that's my theory anyway.

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What? :O

I must see this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lightingspeed)
    Ah i see, thanks . Do you know what kind of UCKAT a grad could have (so as long he/she has a 1st) to be in a chance of an interview? 680 (5yr) and 700 (4yr)?
    I can't really say for definite, sorry, but those numbers seem about right. There are some applicant profiles from last cycle here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/conn...#medicine-2016 but quite a few are incomplete!

Failing that you can just trudge through last year's threads.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This FOI report may provide you with some answer. People with 2:1 did get interviews but there aren't that many :/. Barts and the London only introduced this 50:50 ranking system for interview selection last year.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xlsx FOI 2016 181.xlsx (12.3 KB, 87 views)

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.