Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Warwick dream is over

Did my UCKAT today and it went terrible(for graduate standard):

520 VR
    770 QR
    720 AR
    AVG: 670
    any advice guys? I am predicted a first, so should I gamble a choice on Bart's? :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I volunteered for 3 years on the phone of a suicide helpline and went in to schools to give talks on emotional health and self-harm. I was an agency health care assistant work in care homes for 4 months along side my degree. Then 1 year as a bank health care assistant at major teaching hospital while studying. I had 4 weeks for shadowing experience, each week in a different department Inc GP.
    Predicted first in Biomed. Pretty average IB grades. UKCAT of 707.5.

I got offers at:
    - Warwick (4 year)
    - Barts (4 year)
    - Sheffield (5 year)
    - Barts (5 year)

It was the suicide helpline work they seemed to value above all else, I would imagine because it was unique. But by all means don't feel there is any kind of textbook perfect applicant that they look for.

I hope this helps so what. Let me know if you have any questions. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Booked my ukcat today for the 15th September .. Should of booked it earlier .. I feel so stupid! .. Is that enough time?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectmedic)
    Hi there.

I volunteered for 3 years on the phone of a suicide helpline and went in to schools to give talks on emotional health and self-harm. I was an agency health care assistant work in care homes for 4 months along side my degree. Then 1 year as a bank health care assistant at major teaching hospital while studying. I had 4 weeks for shadowing experience, each week in a different department Inc GP.

I got offers at:
    - Warwick (4 year)
    - Barts (4 year)
    - Sheffield (5 year)
    - Barts (5 year)

It was the suicide helpline work they seemed to value above all else, I would imagine because it was unique. But by all means don't feel there is any kind of textbook perfect applicant that they look for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's awesome, congratulations on the offers. D'you mind talking about what happened at the interview phase? As in the questions, tests etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha devi)
    Hi guyss.

Any ideas where can i get online ukcat mock test? I have done medify ones? Any more ?

Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try the medic portal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectmedic)
    Hi there.

I got offers at:
    - Warwick (4 year)
    - Barts (4 year)
    - Sheffield (5 year)
    - Barts (5 year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Similarly, I volunteered at an HIV clinic on and off for 6 months and they valued that more than solid commitment to a generic being-nice-to-old-people job.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys how have you all been getting on with UKCAT scores?
    Curious as to what is a good score this year given all the changes. Does anyone have any info on the UKCAT grad entry requirements/cut offs etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickeytate)
    Hi guys how have you all been getting on with UKCAT scores?
    Curious as to what is a good score this year given all the changes. Does anyone have any info on the UKCAT grad entry requirements/cut offs etc?
    Here is the UKCAT poll thread, although this includes both undergrad and grad applicants - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4240018

Cutoff scores aren't released for this year yet, unsure as to whether they're released prior to admission deadline or not.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I am a recent graduate from the University of Glasgow, where I received a 2.2 BSc (Hons) in Neuroscience. I had a bit of a bad final year and I am still gutted with my result.

I have been desperate to get into Medicine for the last 4 years, however I have felt that my degree classification has always prevented me from getting an interview / gaining a place for the last 2 years applying.

I have worked extremely hard over the last year to try and better myself, where I have just been awarded a Pass with Distinction in MSc Medical Visualisation and Human Anatomy, jointly from the University of Glasgow and the Glasgow School of Art.

This year will be my third time applying to Medicine (3rd time lucky right?) and I was looking for some advice on my chances at gaining entry into Graduate Entry Medicine this year.

In addition to my BSc in Neuroscience (2.2) and my MSc in Medical Visualisation and Human Anatomy (Distinction), I also have work experience shadowing 2 GP's within practice and also on home call outs, work experience within a Pharmacy, I have spent a day with a practice manager, spent 2 weeks shadowing a Neuro Rehabilitation nurse and also have spent several days touring the Scottish Centre for Simulation and Clinical Human Factors, in addition to a tour around the Teaching & Learning Centre for Stratified medicine at the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Glasgow. I also have spent several summers conducting research in projects focusing on MS.

I am due to sit the UKCAT on Thursday the 22nd, however have had previous scores of roughly 2750 (I know its changed again this year).

I am looking to apply to UKCAT universities as I did not register to sit the GAMSAT in time this year.

If you guys could give me some feedback and advice on where you think I should apply and what my chances are, it would be greatly appreciated.

The last two years I have only applied to Scottish Universities however there are no Graduate schools up here and i am not a strong enough candidate to get into undergrad medicine.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caity-Morag)
    Hey Guys,

I am a recent graduate from the University of Glasgow, where I received a 2.2 BSc (Hons) in Neuroscience. I had a bit of a bad final year and I am still gutted with my result.

I have been desperate to get into Medicine for the last 4 years, however I have felt that my degree classification has always prevented me from getting an interview / gaining a place for the last 2 years applying.

I have worked extremely hard over the last year to try and better myself, where I have just been awarded a Pass with Distinction in MSc Medical Visualisation and Human Anatomy, jointly from the University of Glasgow and the Glasgow School of Art.

This year will be my third time applying to Medicine (3rd time lucky right?) and I was looking for some advice on my chances at gaining entry into Graduate Entry Medicine this year.

In addition to my BSc in Neuroscience (2.2) and my MSc in Medical Visualisation and Human Anatomy (Distinction), I also have work experience shadowing 2 GP's within practice and also on home call outs, work experience within a Pharmacy, I have spent a day with a practice manager, spent 2 weeks shadowing a Neuro Rehabilitation nurse and also have spent several days touring the Scottish Centre for Simulation and Clinical Human Factors, in addition to a tour around the Teaching & Learning Centre for Stratified medicine at the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Glasgow. I also have spent several summers conducting research in projects focusing on MS.

I am due to sit the UKCAT on Thursday the 22nd, however have had previous scores of roughly 2750 (I know its changed again this year).

I am looking to apply to UKCAT universities as I did not register to sit the GAMSAT in time this year.

If you guys could give me some feedback and advice on where you think I should apply and what my chances are, it would be greatly appreciated.

The last two years I have only applied to Scottish Universities however there are no Graduate schools up here and i am not a strong enough candidate to get into undergrad medicine.

Thanks
    I think Warwick is your only option. Newcastle might be a possibility with your undergrad being in neuroscience but I'd check with them. Most ukcat unis require a 2.1 regardless of whether you've done a masters on top of it or not.

GAMSAT opens more opportunities but like you've said you've missed that boat for this year.

ReputationRep:
    Can I have some opinions on my UKCAT as I don't know how to feel about the marks.

Biomedical student with decent medical background (HCA worker), so that's all there.

VR - 640
    QR - 890
    AR - 700
    SJ - Band 1

I just don't know if that'll be good enough to apply anywhere or if VR has dragged me down too much.

Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz7)
    That's awesome, congratulations on the offers. D'you mind talking about what happened at the interview phase? As in the questions, tests etc.
    Thanks a lot. I can't talk about specific questions. However the format of the interview for each university is usually published. Barts A101 was the most challenging with it lasting around 2 hours. There was a teamwork exercise, consultation video to watch and a 1-1 interview. Barts A100 was a 1-1 interview only. The rest were MMI. I wouldn't be too concerned about the questions they might ask in interview. They're questions you would expect if you use the generic resources to prepare. The most useful MMI resources I found were on YouTube with videos breaking down the questions to help you see what they are really asking. Best of luck and if you have anything else I can help with then let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Totally forgot my own profile;
    2013 - Peru Missionary Trip, built a classroom and taught orphans english
    2014- Pharmacy Assistant (dispensing staff)
    2015 - GP shadowing work, both on call and interactions with patients and with the HCA present
    Spent a week working in an acute mental health ward, shadowing a consultant, F1 doctors, the psychology team as well as the nurses.
    2016 - A&E volunteer and samaritans phone line operator over christmas

Thats what I got so far, and I passed first year of BSc BioMed with a decent 1st, also starting UKCAT revision now for the subsequent year (early but meh, got nothing better to do)

What you guys think?

Im applying to Newcastle, Nottinghan and Warrick, hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone's revision involve? Is anyone practicing with books first and then using medify or would you suggest going straight into medify practice?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    What does everyone's revision involve? Is anyone practicing with books first and then using medify or would you suggest going straight into medify practice?*
    I went straight in with medify. I have books but didnt really use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medici103)
    I went straight in with medify. I have books but didnt really use them.
    What was your score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasillon)
    What was your score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    730 avg.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I am a current 3rd year biomed student and predicted 1st as well. I am looking to apply for medicine both graduate and undergraduate. I still haven't done the UKCAT but hoping to get between 650-750. My A-levels are AAA in Biology/Chemistry/Maths. I am looking to apply for Cambridge, Birmingham and Warwick for graduate entry and Keele for undergraduate. What do you think guys? Do I stand any chance or where else should I be thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priyanth04)
    hey guys, I am a current 3rd year biomed student and predicted 1st as well. I am looking to apply for medicine both graduate and undergraduate. I still haven't done the UKCAT but hoping to get between 650-750. My A-levels are AAA in Biology/Chemistry/Maths. I am looking to apply for Cambridge, Birmingham and Warwick for graduate entry and Keele for undergraduate. What do you think guys? Do I stand any chance or where else should I be thinking of?
    Don't apply to Birmingham, they only accept applicants who have already finished their degree at the time of application!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

New to this thread (well I have been checking it for a while)

I am currently studying immunology and microbiology and am predicted a 1st. Did my UKCAT today and managed to get 810 average (VR 680, QR 890, AR 860) and a Band 1.

As for unis I want to apply to Warwick and Newcastle and maybe Glasgow, Aberdeen or Dundee (both 5y courses) to play it safe and as I want to avoid London (shame as I like Barts).

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.