Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Interim scores released soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smart_cookie)
    Hi guys! After stalking this thread for weeks, I'm finally making a post.

Sat my UKCAT on Thursday and did terribly.
    My average was 620 and I got Band 2.
    As you can imagine, I am as devastated as ever. Realistically, what are my chances for Graduate Medicine and where am I best off applying.

I am considering applying for 5 year courses but financially, I don't know if I can.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much guys and best of luck with your applications!
    I'm in a similar situation - I averaged 660, which I don't think will be good enough for GEM either so I'm crossing my fingers for the GAMSAT exam! Also looking into grants for the 5 year courses.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXFrenchKicksXx)
    I'm in a similar situation - I averaged 660, which I don't think will be good enough for GEM either so I'm crossing my fingers for the GAMSAT exam! Also looking into grants for the 5 year courses.....
    Ahh, defintely feel your pain! I'm sorry that your UKCAT didn't go well.

Best of luck with the GAMSAT though! I stupidly put all my eggs in one basket and hoped that the UKCAT would go well.😭

Are you still planning on applying for any Graduate courses. I'm debating chancing Warwick but I know my score is WAAAY below threshold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiriamSandhu)
    Ur UKCAT score isn't high enough for GEM. However, Im sure u still have a chance with the 5 year medicine course. Maybe try Keele, UEA...
    Thank you so much for the advice! Definitely will check them out

I know that this is wishful thinking but are there any Graduate courses that are more lenient with UKCAT scores that I could chance with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamly042)
    Hi

New to this thread (well I have been checking it for a while)

I am currently studying immunology and microbiology and am predicted a 1st. Did my UKCAT today and managed to get 810 average (VR 680, QR 890, AR 860) and a Band 1.

As for unis I want to apply to Warwick and Newcastle and maybe Glasgow, Aberdeen or Dundee (both 5y courses) to play it safe and as I want to avoid London (shame as I like Barts).
    any tips? well done on your score!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, so I got an average of 680 on UKCAT, not happy really :/
    but my cousin who is a graduate medical student says I should apply, mind you she is in her final year now. But I know the cut offs have increased since then. Is it worth applying to UKCAT universities? Or should I wait till next year? I'd appreciate to hear someone's advice on this please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goincrazy10)
    Hi everyone, so I got an average of 680 on UKCAT, not happy really :/
    but my cousin who is a graduate medical student says I should apply, mind you she is in her final year now. But I know the cut offs have increased since then. Is it worth applying to UKCAT universities? Or should I wait till next year? I'd appreciate to hear someone's advice on this please.
    If you aren't doing GAMSAT then why not apply? It wouldn't make sense to just not bother with an application for the sake of £20.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask a few questions as some reassurance or maybe a reality check haha.
    Academically I didn't do well at GCSE's and I got BBC in my A-levels. I'm currently sitting on a 2.1 in my Biological Sciences (physpharm) degree from Leicester. I would like to apply to GEM, I have the UKCAT at the end of September but I really struggle with maths, so if anyone has any handy tips they would be greatly appreciated.
    Work experience wise, I have shadowed a consultant in this hospital, I'm working in a pharmacy as a dispenser, I've had work experience in a GP's practice where I've been on visits, declared, on call and surgeries. I am also a member of my universities iGEM team where our project is focused on osteoporosis and I have also spent 6 weeks in a lab working on breast cancer cells.

Do you guys think I have a realistic chance of getting into medicine? I know a lot will be down to my UKCAT score, but putting aside that and basing it on what I already have, what do you think?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    for what it's worth, remember that the ukcat scores for all the previous years have been out of 3600 not 2700 as they are this year.*
    For example, an average of 660 in recent years would've given you an overall score of 2640. In freedom of information requests (freely available on whatdotheyknow.com - Google 'univeristy of Warwick medicine freedom of information' Warwick have stated they have given people offers with as low as 2500. St Barts have been lower.
    Even if you set a conservative limit of say 2800 was the lowest they had given an offer in previous years, that's 800 points below the top mark available of 3600. If, for instance it would be the same this year of 800 points lower than the top Mark available it would be 2700-800 = 1900 which Means you are in with a chance.*

Remember, just because everyone on here posts that you should be aiming above 700....doesn't make it true, that's just a trend. Of course, what I've written is completely hypothetical....but it's happened before, people have gotten places with a lower ukcat, especially if they have a 1st or a masters. Don't give in lovely, do what every single other person is doing, apply and hope for the best *

ReputationRep:
    I have 18 days to revise the UKCAT, can I do it?!? HELP! :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smart_cookie)
    Ahh, defintely feel your pain! I'm sorry that your UKCAT didn't go well.

Best of luck with the GAMSAT though! I stupidly put all my eggs in one basket and hoped that the UKCAT would go well.😭

Are you still planning on applying for any Graduate courses. I'm debating chancing Warwick but I know my score is WAAAY below threshold.
    Thanks! Fair enough, I nearly did that too - I'm pretty gutted about how much I had to pay for the GAMSAT exam!

Yeah I think I will - I'm still not sure if I could even afford a 5 year course, so need to do a bit more research so I can work out where I have the best chance of getting into GEM. I reckon it's worth a shot anyway! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieJay1903)
    for what it's worth, remember that the ukcat scores for all the previous years have been out of 3600 not 2700 as they are this year.*
    For example, an average of 660 in recent years would've given you an overall score of 2640. In freedom of information requests (freely available on whatdotheyknow.com - Google 'univeristy of Warwick medicine freedom of information' Warwick have stated they have given people offers with as low as 2500. St Barts have been lower.
    Even if you set a conservative limit of say 2800 was the lowest they had given an offer in previous years, that's 800 points below the top mark available of 3600. If, for instance it would be the same this year of 800 points lower than the top Mark available it would be 2700-800 = 1900 which Means you are in with a chance.*

Remember, just because everyone on here posts that you should be aiming above 700....doesn't make it true, that's just a trend. Of course, what I've written is completely hypothetical....but it's happened before, people have gotten places with a lower ukcat, especially if they have a 1st or a masters. Don't give in lovely, do what every single other person is doing, apply and hope for the best *
    Thanks so much for this - I've found it really hard to work out whether my UKCAT score is any good or not and so like you say, have had to base most of my ideas on stuff I've read on here!

I think I'll call up admissions once I've got the GAMSAT exam out of the way and see what they think....good to know someone thinks I have a chance anyway - thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for this - I've found it really hard to work out whether my UKCAT score is any good or not and so like you say, have had to base most of my ideas on stuff I've read on here!

I think I'll call up admissions once I've got the GAMSAT exam out of the way and see what they think....good to know someone thinks I have a chance anyway - thank you!
    The ukcat deciles (interim ones) get released this week, or so they said on the Twitter *UKCAT page (last week, they said "next week" so I think that should be this week!).... So you'll be able to judge your performance a bit better then. Bearing in mind too that they usually change a little bit at the end of testing as they release another set of deciles then! But it would give you an interim idea anyway *

Just apply!! You have absolutely nothing to lose. Of course, it's nice to have above 700 but that just means you can be a little more confident...which is great, but so far, no one knows how they're going to use the ukcat scores as it has changed format this year only being out of 2700 not 3600 as I said. If the score was out of 3600, we could probably say that an average below 680-700 would be risky...but so far, this year, we just don't know.*

Wishing you so much good luck! *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    That's an incredible GAMSAT score. Why are you not applying to Swansea instead of Warwick if you are concerned about UKCAT?

Sit the UKCAT myself in 3 weeks and have an existing GAMSAT score of 58/59 which I'm hoping is enough to scrape me an interview this year!
    Thanks! I prefer Warwick to Swansea..... but once I take my UKCAT I'll have time to switch around my options before sending off the UCAS form ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    For those achieving good GAMSAT scores (especially in S3) be in practice or in the actual test, how are you going through S3, in the order provided or are you doing all chem, then all bio then physics at the end etc? I've been doing all the biology, then back to the start and all the chem, then finally as many physics Q's as I can get done in time. Not too sure now if this is the best idea. Any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The 10 minutes of reading time is your best friend! Personally, I began by using that time to tackle the first few questions properly, reading through carefully etc. I then moved through the paper in order, tackling any questions that looked easy/ interesting/ fun (PROPERLY- taking the time to check through etc.), and skipping any questions that looked boring/ tricky (AFTER scanning through the main info). Once I got to the end of the paper (having skipped at least 1/3), I jumped around the paper, from easiest to hardest. If I got stuck on a question, I moved on... if I then reached an even harder question, I might go back! When there were about 15 minutes left, I transferred all of my answers into the grid, and then carried on tackling the remaining questions- this time transferring the answers over whenever I got one. I ended up guessing about 5 in the last few minutes because I didn't have time to tackle those at all, but made 'educated guesses' for a hell of a lot more during the test.

This won't work for everyone- I'm a really quick reader.... but yeah. That's what I did You can get lucky or unlucky with the questions that turn up, too. I was really lucky in March- I found most of the questions time consuming, but OK once you worked through them, so I spent the entirety of the section 3 time working solidly, and ended up getting 79 in S3 (March). Last September, I had to guess way more and found the whole thing way worse, and got 50 in S3. Yes, I prepared more for the second time round..... but not *that* much more.... the test does change, and I really think it's worth giving yourself more than one try

ReputationRep:
    I've averaged 743 (VR was 640) in the UKCAT, is that likely (if all other criteria is met) to get me 4 interviews? Just so that I can calm down over the GAMSAT as currently revision is going horrifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    I've averaged 743 (VR was 640) in the UKCAT, is that likely (if all other criteria is met) to get me 4 interviews? Just so that I can calm down over the GAMSAT as currently revision is going horrifically.
    Can you give me tips for the UKCAT? I was just wondering how many hours did you practise for a day and for how long in terms of days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    Personally, If I had that average I wouldn't risk applying to Gamsat unis without knowing my exact mark. I think you're in a for a good shout for 3/4 UKCAT uni interviews esp if your degree etc match up to the requirements.

I'm sitting the Gamsat too but have done about 2 weeks worth of revision so most likely will be a trial run. UKCAT is in Oct so I'm pretty much banking on that being decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArabianPhoenix)
    Can you give me tips for the UKCAT? I was just wondering how many hours did you practise for a day and for how long in terms of days?
    I bought the Kaplan book off amazon, spent maybe 2-3 hours a day revising for a week.. Pretty amazing in comparison to other books I've used in the past.
    I wouldn't recommend medify, the abstract on the site is overall pretty poor.
    And then I just did the timed tests you get from Kaplan via the book and the tests on the UKCAT site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieJay1903)

Totally agree! I got 650 average with 720 on QR and I'm still applying. Gamsat on Wednesday is my most important exam but I would 100% still apply because there's nothing to lose! Work experience is super important to unis too so even if your average isn't 700 or whatever people are saying here, you might still have a chance even if it's a small one! Don't give up hope, that's not the making of a good doctor!!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.