Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    I bought the Kaplan book off amazon, spent maybe 2-3 hours a day revising for a week.. Pretty amazing in comparison to other books I've used in the past.
    I wouldn't recommend medify, the abstract on the site is overall pretty poor.
    And then I just did the timed tests you get from Kaplan via the book and the tests on the UKCAT site.
    I feel the abstract on modify is poor too, I found that it over complicates things.. and then in the exam you are sort of looking for more complicated stuff, when it may very well be as simple as more shapes are shaded than not?

did you feel that way? I think KAPLAN has a good representation of AR...

ReputationRep:
    I've averaged 743 (VR was 640) in the UKCAT, is that likely (if all other criteria is met) to get me 4 interviews? Just so that I can calm down over the GAMSAT as currently revision is going horrifically.
    I think that is a very good score...warwick would be a good shot for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    I feel the abstract on modify is poor too, I found that it over complicates things.. and then in the exam you are sort of looking for more complicated stuff, when it may very well be as simple as more shapes are shaded than not?

did you feel that way? I think KAPLAN has a good representation of AR...
    That's interesting. I've been using medify intently of the last few weeks and tried the AR mock on the UKCAT. I found that I answered fewer questions and got more wrong because I was putting 'neither' as it didn't fit into two rules (such as odd number of shapes and triangles shaded) whereas medify seems to have a lot of two/three rule sets.

ReputationRep:
    I think that is a very good score...warwick would be a good shot for you.
    You actually think that might be good enough for Warwick? Even with the VR score?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh so my UKAT did not go well: 613
    VR: 570
    QR;690
    AR:580
    SJT- Band 1

However I am predicted a high 1st in my MSCi in Cell and Molecular Biology at UCL (having received a Deans award for placing in the top 5% of my faculty). I also have A*AAA- Bio, Maths, History and Chem (AS), and lots of work experience.

Do people reckon I have any chance anywhere? Thanks for your help and congrats to those of you who all seem to have smashed the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martlet7)
    Ahh so my UKAT did not go well: 613
    VR: 570
    QR;690
    AR:580
    SJT- Band 1

However I am predicted a high 1st in my MSCi in Cell and Molecular Biology at UCL (having received a Deans award for placing in the top 5% of my faculty). I also have A*AAA- Bio, Maths, History and Chem (AS), and lots of work experience.

Do people reckon I have any chance anywhere? Thanks for your help and congrats to those of you who all seem to have smashed the UKCAT.
    hey you would need to focus on less UKCAT unis, are you doing the GAMSAT?
    How long did you prep for the UKCAT, and with what resources?

You have a good shot at cambridge btw... with those A levels and the 1st class prediction They don't require any entrance tests

ReputationRep:
    I've averaged 743 (VR was 640) in the UKCAT, is that likely (if all other criteria is met) to get me 4 interviews? Just so that I can calm down over the GAMSAT as currently revision is going horrifically.

Hey, yeh so you got VR 640..
    I know warwick sift their first round base don VR scores and say that anyone who was below the mean will be rejected. The mean was 577 last year, very unlikely to be higher this year given its difficulty.... 640 is deffo a good score for this section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASupertramp)
    That's interesting. I've been using medify intently of the last few weeks and tried the AR mock on the UKCAT. I found that I answered fewer questions and got more wrong because I was putting 'neither' as it didn't fit into two rules (such as odd number of shapes and triangles shaded) whereas medify seems to have a lot of two/three rule sets.
    yeh... i feel like it over complicates it a bit? I feel KAPLAN is good for AR...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether applying to Birmingham's A101 with a high 2.i would be a good move? Or suicide?

I have emailed the admissions team, but just wanted to see if anyone would be able to shed some light from personal experience or knowledge etc...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply!
    Nope unfortunately just the UKCAT- tbh I have a bad day the timings killed me. I'd practiced lots- using the 1000Q book and medify- but sometimes it just doesn't go your way, and its a very unpredictable test! My weakest area had been the SJT which went the best. But good luck if your taking it- just try and stay cool in the exam (easier said than done!).

Yes I'm thinking Cambridge! Do you reckon BARTS is worth a shot- given the prediction?
    I'm just not sure where else to apply- i'm hoping the other elements of my application may go someway in making up for the poor score- I am also undertaking my masters project into Neuro-degenerative diseases and leukemia, and have strong extra-curcilia (a national level middle distance athlete) so feel like this may help?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martlet7)
    Thanks for the reply!
    Nope unfortunately just the UKCAT- tbh I have a bad day the timings killed me. I'd practiced lots- using the 1000Q book and medify- but sometimes it just doesn't go your way, and its a very unpredictable test! My weakest area had been the SJT which went the best. But good luck if your taking it- just try and stay cool in the exam (easier said than done!).

Yes I'm thinking Cambridge! Do you reckon BARTS is worth a shot- given the prediction?
    I'm just not sure where else to apply- i'm hoping the other elements of my application may go someway in making up for the poor score- I am also undertaking my masters project into Neuro-degenerative diseases and leukemia, and have strong extra-curcilia (a national level middle distance athlete) so feel like this may help?!
    I don't know hun, Barts is ver very risky with that score IMO... I know they work out interview slots based on 50:50 (ACADEMICSKCAT)...If i was you, Im not too sure I would apply there...

I would say go for CAMB.. UEA is good for you too.. no minimum cut off score... perhaps this year KEELE? then maybe you can have barts as risky choice x

ReputationRep:
    I've been interested in GEM for a few years now but only started properly looking into it this august, I've felt a bit rushed trying to get as much UKCAT studying in as I can! The only places I'm really interested in are Warwick and Newcastle (I don't have Chem at A-Level so my choices are narrowed a bit) and they both look good to me.

Did the UKCAT today and scored:
    VR: 790
    QR;800
    AR:620
    SJT- Band 1
    Average of 736.

What's the best way of trying to get an idea of how you've done? Warwick handily have a list of the lowest UKCAT scores they've accepted previously but obviously it's from a different level than this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brio52)
    I've been interested in GEM for a few years now but only started properly looking into it this august, I've felt a bit rushed trying to get as much UKCAT studying in as I can! The only places I'm really interested in are Warwick and Newcastle (I don't have Chem at A-Level so my choices are narrowed a bit) and they both look good to me.

QR;800
    SJT- Band 1
    Average of 736.

What's the best way of trying to get an idea of how you've done? Warwick handily have a list of the lowest UKCAT scores they've accepted previously but obviously it's from a different level than this year.
    Hello fellow non Chem A-Leveler!
    I'm also limited to Warwick and Newcastle. Haven't taken the UKCAT yet (end of the month).

That's an excellent score and based on what I have read, should certainly get you an interview at Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow non Chem A-Leveler!
    I'm also limited to Warwick and Newcastle. Haven't taken the UKCAT yet (end of the month).

That's an excellent score and based on what I have read, should certainly get you an interview at Warwick.
    have you considered taking them a level? Im doing that The new spec means you can take the whole a level in a year.

ReputationRep:
    have you considered taking them a level? Im doing that The new spec means you can take the whole a level in a year.
    I briefly looked into it while I studied my undergrad, I seem to remember not being able to do one because you had to do lab work?
    Do you have more information about the new spec? I'll look into it now.

ReputationRep:
    I briefly looked into it while I studied my undergrad, I seem to remember not being able to do one because you had to do lab work?
    Do you have more information about the new spec? I'll look into it now.
    hey.. yeh so you don't have to do practicals for the new specification... these are just endorsements... AQA.

Im doing mine at a college but it is costing me a lot (2k) in total with tutoring..practical endorsements and exams

ReputationRep:

QR;800
    SJT- Band 1
    Average of 736.

you should be fine for warwick!!
    How did you get that VR score??????
    ANY TIPS PLEASE?

ReputationRep:
    Glad to here I've got a chance at Warwick, I was an undergrad there and loved it.

Unfortunately the options I've seen are just a bit too costly. ATM financing the GEM will be a scrape so I'm happy leaving the Chem for this year.

you should be fine for warwick!!
    How did you get that VR score??????
    ANY TIPS PLEASE?
    For VR I tend to read the whole passage to get a general idea of it, taking mental notes of things that I think may be relevant to questions and then I can usually answer the questions or find the relevant section very quickly. If it's a really drab section though then I might just read the question first and try to do it backward.

One other thing that I'm a little concerned about is my "hands on experience". I've got a years experience working in a mental health recovery facility , first as a health care assistant and then as an occupational therapy assistant. I feel that I have a good amount of experience from a psychological point of view but nothing like washing or dressing or feeding patients. It focuses a lot more on groups and therapeutic activities. Is this experience still valuable? Should I rush to get some more "hands on" stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Glad to here I've got a chance at Warwick, I was an undergrad there and loved it.

Unfortunately the options I've seen are just a bit too costly. ATM financing the GEM will be a scrape so I'm happy leaving the Chem for this year.

For VR I tend to read the whole passage to get a general idea of it, taking mental notes of things that I think may be relevant to questions and then I can usually answer the questions or find the relevant section very quickly. If it's a really drab section though then I might just read the question first and try to do it backward.

One other thing that I'm a little concerned about is my "hands on experience". I've got a years experience working in a mental health recovery facility , first as a health care assistant and then as an occupational therapy assistant. I feel that I have a good amount of experience from a psychological point of view but nothing like washing or dressing or feeding patients. It focuses a lot more on groups and therapeutic activities. Is this experience still valuable? Should I rush to get some more "hands on" stuff?
    no i think that is perfectly fine experience. This is what warwick look for:

▪ Nurse▪ Health care assistant (e.g. hospital, hospice, carehome)▪ Physician’s assistant▪ Shadowing doctor/healthcare professional▪ Paramedic▪ Volunteer (person/patient centred)▪ Caring for a person in their own home (only if viaan official organization)▪ Salvation Army / Mind / MENCAP / Homeless Shelter /Other local charity / Foodbank▪ Pharmacy Advisor / Dispensing Assistant▪ Registered Pharmacist▪ Pre-registration Pharmacist▪ Girl Guiding / Scout Leader▪ Dental Assistant▪ Optical Assistant / Optometrist▪ Nightline▪ Ambulance Care Assistant▪ Paramedic▪ Children’s Summer Camp (or similar)▪ Physiotherapist▪ Radiographer▪ Occupation Health NurseYouth & Community Group /Church Group (involved in person-centred work - non-religious in nature forchurch work)

ReputationRep:

QR;800
    SJT- Band 1
    Average of 736.

That's a great score. I'm sure you will be fine for Warwick due to their large number of places, but for Newcastle I think it may be more competitive.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.