Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    Cambridge: No entrance exams, wit AAB and 1st class.. you stand a decent chance
    Birmingham: They love 1st class degrees
    Aberdeen: Academic attainment/predictions (30%)
    UKCAT Score (20%)
    Edinburgh: The breakdown of our selection weightings for applications received by 15th October 2014 was as follows:
    50% - academic30% - non academic (15% situational judgement section of the UKCAT test and 15% personal statement/reference)20% - UKCAT score (excluding situational judgement)

Hope this helps...
    Do you have any tips for the UKCAT??
    Was it similar to mocks?
    How was VR? and AR?
    Thank you so much that really helped! Will look into those unis.
    My GCSEs were pretty average 11 A*-B (2 A* 2A and 7Bs) so I'm not sure if it would be competitive enough for Cambridge or Bham.

For the UKCAT have you got a medify subscription? I found this to be much more useful than the books as you get to practice on a computer, you get lots of practice que and the questions in the 600/1000Q book are much harder than the real thing! It really comes down to practice so just keep practicing as many questions! The mocks on the medify and the actual UKCAT website are very similar to the real thing so just practice those.
    For VR/AR it really depends on the questions that come up on the day. I found I struggled with them but it's mainly due to the time restrains. I would advise you to just select an answer and move on if you can't figure it out whereas I was spending more time trying to figure it out and then ended up just guessing the last few where I could've spent time finding the answer.
    Hope that helps and good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katray)
    My GCSEs were pretty average 11 A*-B (2 A* 2A and 7Bs) so I'm not sure if it would be competitive enough for Cambridge or Bham.
    I don't believe Cambridge uses GCSEs when scoring people for interviews for the GEM programme. It's your degree results, A-levels, medical experience (via PS and additional application form).

ReputationRep:
    The preliminary UKCAT mean scores have been released. From what I understood the mean total score is 1931, so 644 average. However, the decile ranges are different, so I'm assuming that meant that to be in the 10th percentile you had to get an average score of 1680, so 560, but to be in the 9th percentile (so what I think that means is top 10%) you needed a score of 2190, which is 730. Not sure how that compares to previous years so if anyone else wishes to contribute further that would be most helpful

Here is the link from the UKCAT website:
    http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/upl...s%20150916.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katray)
    Thank you so much that really helped! Will look into those unis.

For the UKCAT have you got a medify subscription? I found this to be much more useful than the books as you get to practice on a computer, you get lots of practice que and the questions in the 600/1000Q book are much harder than the real thing! It really comes down to practice so just keep practicing as many questions! The mocks on the medify and the actual UKCAT website are very similar to the real thing so just practice those.
    For VR/AR it really depends on the questions that come up on the day. I found I struggled with them but it's mainly due to the time restrains. I would advise you to just select an answer and move on if you can't figure it out whereas I was spending more time trying to figure it out and then ended up just guessing the last few where I could've spent time finding the answer.
    Hope that helps and good luck!!
    thank you. Camb do not look at gcse results btw x

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know from having stalked this in previous years what the change between the prelims and the finals generally amounts to? Even whether it typically decreases or increases.

(Original post by hopefuldoctor)
    The preliminary UKCAT mean scores have been released. From what I understood the mean total score is 1931, so 644 average. However, the decile ranges are different, so I'm assuming that meant that to be in the 10th percentile you had to get an average score of 1680, so 560, but to be in the 9th percentile (so what I think that means is top 10%) you needed a score of 2190, which is 730. Not sure how that compares to previous years so if anyone else wishes to contribute further that would be most helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mindlesss)
    I don't believe Cambridge uses GCSEs when scoring people for interviews for the GEM programme. It's your degree results, A-levels, medical experience (via PS and additional application form).
    Thank you! That's good to know

ReputationRep:

I don't understand this whole decile/percentile averages.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    If you need someone to explain it to you then what's your score

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    I assume it's something like 9th percentile = top 90-100%, 8th percentile top 80-89%, etc... Whether that is right or not I am not sure haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    I assume it's something like 9th percentile = top 90-100%, 8th percentile top 80-89%, etc... Whether that is right or not I am not sure haha
    I think that's exactly what it means, that's what I got from it anyway. So if you got a score of 730 you'd be in the 9th percentile so you'd be in the top 10% of the country. That's what I understood anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    thank you. Camb do not look at gcse results btw x
    what IS cambridge's actual requirements for GEM then?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how that compares to previous years so if anyone else wishes to contribute further that would be most helpful
    The stats on past years' averages are here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/upl...ics%202015.pdf

ReputationRep:
    what IS cambridge's actual requirements for GEM then?
    From the website:

"The Graduate Course in Medicine (A101) is open to UK/EU applicants who:
    - hold a good Honours degree (II.1 or above) in any discipline (science subjects are most useful)
    - also satisfy the GCSE and AS/A Level requirements (see course requirements below, most successful applicants typically have at least AAA at A Level or equivalent)

GCSEs

Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:
    - grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
    - two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science

AS and A Levels

Applicants must have A Level Chemistry (normally passed within seven years of entry) and AS or A Level passes in two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics."

So it's mainly 2.1 or higher plus AAA at A-level, incl. A in A-level Chemistry + 2 AS in Bio/Math/Physics to be competitive

Note: you can be in the process of obtaining these qualifications in the year when you are applying, in which case if you get an offer it will be conditional on achieving those before your course starts.

Link here: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...raduate-course

ReputationRep:
    Got my UKCAT tomorrow and absolutely babbing it right now haha.

Being a graduate without A-levels at all my options are already quite limited for grad med. I need this high UKCAT. All my mocks on Medify so far are about a 670 average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mindlesss)
    From the website:

"The Graduate Course in Medicine (A101) is open to UK/EU applicants who:
    - hold a good Honours degree (II.1 or above) in any discipline (science subjects are most useful)
    - also satisfy the GCSE and AS/A Level requirements (see course requirements below, most successful applicants typically have at least AAA at A Level or equivalent)

GCSEs

Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:
    - grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
    - two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science

AS and A Levels

Applicants must have A Level Chemistry (normally passed within seven years of entry) and AS or A Level passes in two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics."

So it's mainly 2.1 or higher plus AAA at A-level, incl. A in A-level Chemistry + 2 AS in Bio/Math/Physics to be competitive

Note: you can be in the process of obtaining these qualifications in the year when you are applying, in which case if you get an offer it will be conditional on achieving those before your course starts.

Link here: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...raduate-course
    That's very helpful, thank you for that

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I sat my UKCAT on Tuesday and got a total score of 2360, Band 1. I have an MPhys in Physics and Astrophysics (2:1), did my AS Chemistry last year (got a B) and am about to start AS Biology. I believe I will be qualified to apply to Southampton, Warwick, Kings, Barts and Newcastle; but obviously I can only apply to four of those.

I have two days shadowing an SHO and am currently a volunteer at my local hospital one afternoon a week. I would probably prefer to apply to Warwick instead of one of the London options, but I am concerned I won't make the 70 hours 'mandated' work experience before application. I am a STEM ambassador through my day-job, which involves doing workshops/events with schoolchildren to promote studying STEM subjects at further/higher education, which could push me over if this was allowed.

Can anyone advise on the Warwick WE issue? And would Kings or Barts be preferable if I had to choose one?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm considering putting together a relatively last-minute application. For various reasons, I'm a little light on work experience. So far I have:

- One day shadowing with a GP, a rheumatologist, and at a diabetes clinic
    - Two days shadowing a surgeon
    - Helping out at two 'patient days' for a medical charity

I also have a 760 UKCAT.

Unfortunately there's no realistic way I can get the 70hrs needed for Warwick by October 15th. However, if I make a point of getting more experience over the coming months (e.g. committing to regular weekend volunteering) could I make plausible applications for Newcastle and Southampton this cycle? Other courses off the cards - no GAMSAT and an arts degree (though I do have Chem A-Level)

Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DysoninD)
    Hi all,

I'm considering putting together a relatively last-minute application. For various reasons, I'm a little light on work experience. So far I have:

- One day shadowing with a GP, a rheumatologist, and at a diabetes clinic
    - Two days shadowing a surgeon
    - Helping out at two 'patient days' for a medical charity

I also have a 760 UKCAT.

Unfortunately there's no realistic way I can get the 70hrs needed for Warwick by October 15th. However, if I make a point of getting more experience over the coming months (e.g. committing to regular weekend volunteering) could I make plausible applications for Newcastle and Southampton this cycle? Other courses off the cards - no GAMSAT and an arts degree (though I do have Chem A-Level)

Thank you so much
    I'd say you'd be reaaaaaaaaaaaally struggling to use that experience to answer the questions at interview. Best thing I could say is really really try and get something before you submit your application, just so you've got something to talk about on your PS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    I'd say you'd be reaaaaaaaaaaaally struggling to use that experience to answer the questions at interview. Best thing I could say is really really try and get something before you submit your application, just so you've got something to talk about on your PS
    Cheers - useful to hear!

ReputationRep:
    That's very helpful, thank you for that
    also... i know it says AAA on the website for a-levels, but there is a thread on TSR set up by Lucy Cavendish college (cambridge) who say BBB at A-lvel.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.