Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayrk)
    Anyone know people with 2:1 that got into Bart's? Seems like it's pointless to no matter how high your UKCAT to apply. Some guy on another thread had 800+ and a 2:1 and didn't even get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What thread is that mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    You absolutely do not need to apply now, you apply just as you start 3rd year.. ignore whoever told you that.
    Well no, if they want to start straight after their current degree they need to have sat the entrance exam this year... If GAMSAT, the chance has already passed. Applications via UCAS for 2017 entry need to be in before the deadline in October (next month). So you apply after final year has started yes but you need to have sat the entrance exam this year, not the summer you graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    Well no, if they want to start straight after their current degree they need to have sat the entrance exam this year... If GAMSAT, the chance has already passed. Applications via UCAS for 2017 entry need to be in before the deadline in October (next month). So you apply after final year has started yes but you need to have sat the entrance exam this year, not the summer you graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No.. they are only now going into 2nd year, so they won't graduate until August 2018, so they need to sit the UKCAT in June-October 2017, so they've got plenty of time

ReputationRep:
    No.. they are only now going into 2nd year, so they won't graduate until August 2018, so they need to sit the UKCAT in June-October 2017, so they've got plenty of time
    Ahh my bad, read it as they were 2nd year about to start 3rd... Keep forgetting that the new term has already started for current students! Apologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if it would be suicide to apply to Barts with a 1st but low UKCAT (637)? I was reading last years thread seemed like some people got interviews with 1st and UKCAT of 650....

ReputationRep:
    What thread is that mate?
    Bart's 2016 thread under medical schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katray)
    Anyone know if it would be suicide to apply to Barts with a 1st but low UKCAT (637)? I was reading last years thread seemed like some people got interviews with 1st and UKCAT of 650....
    Don't have the link off hand but seems possible from the statistics they released. Almost as if they're ignoring the UKCAT as long as it's over 600 ish if you have a 1st

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go look at the Bart's 2016 or 17 threads - the information is all scattered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasillon)
    This is a dumb question, but some other student said something to make me panic so I thought to task.

Im second year biomed,
    So i would apply in third year to start after I graduate, and not applying in second year, as someone just tried to convince me?

Ty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If going to end your degree next year then apply now. Don't wait until u have ur results to apply or else then u will have to another gap year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasillon)
    Can I maybe bombard you with a multitude of questions?
    How long a go did you apply, what was your UKCAT Score, what work exp did you do, what did they do/ask at interview, was it MMI or single station, when was your interview and when did you get your offer?

Pls halp

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I applied for 2015 entry, so 2 years ago now? I had 815 in the ukcat, had a year with St. John ambulance plus a week of shadowing anaesthetists and lots of tutoring for a charity in London. It was a panel interview and they asked me pretty standard questions, I can't remember exactly what as it was a long time ago now! But they were basically what you'd expect, and the interviewers were really nice! I had my interview in early February (later than other gem ones because they made a mistake and thought I wasn't a home student so I had to prove that I was before they would interview me!) and got an offer about 3 weeks later I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any advice on where to apply with UKCAT of 670? Going into final year of natural sciences at Cambridge (but probably predicted a 2.2). Is it worth applying to places like Barts/Kings or would it be straight rejection? Any advice would be much much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayrk)
    Don't have the link off hand but seems possible from the statistics they released. Almost as if they're ignoring the UKCAT as long as it's over 600 ish if you have a 1st

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!!
    I found the thread and in relation to your question most people with a 2:1 regardless of a high UKCAT score did not get interviewed...of course this only represents those on TSR.
    Do you think applying for the 5 year program would increase my chances as there are more places??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clareite)
    Anyone have any advice on where to apply with UKCAT of 670? Going into final year of natural sciences at Cambridge (but probably predicted a 2.2). Is it worth applying to places like Barts/Kings or would it be straight rejection? Any advice would be much much appreciated
    I think with a 2.2 prediction you would struggle as most places for GEM ask for a 2.1 minimum.
    I would definitely avoid Barts as last year most people that got an interview had a first. And for Kings again they want a 2.1 and are UKCAT heavy I'm not sure if your UKCAT score would be high enough for them as they go for the top 25%.
    Is there anyway you can get a 2.1 prediction? That would open more doors for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!
    I found the thread and in relation to your question most people with a 2:1 regardless of a high UKCAT score did not get interviewed...of course this only represents those on TSR.
    Do you think applying for the 5 year program would increase my chances as there are more places??
    That guy got rejected from the five year program... There are stats out showing that only 5 people with 2:1 got interviews(or offers not sure).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spudhead)
    Not heard of UKCAT Ninja, I'll have to have a ganders at it! ... 3rd times a charm, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sorry just realised I forgot to answer your earlier questions, but unfortunately no I can't afford to fund 5 year medicine. Plus my GCSE's are nothing special at all, I dont think I even got one A back in school, I didn't like hard work back then at all haha.

If I have to apply again next year I'll do the BMAT and apply for Oxford and Imperial. As well as the UKCAT.

If both those fail I'll just study in Europe instead.
    yeh I'm thinking of BMAT too... lol i feel you can actually prep for it unlike the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayrk)
    That guy got rejected from the five year program... There are stats out showing that only 5 people with 2:1 got interviews(or offers not sure).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow.
    What about those with a first?
    I really want to get into Barts (if you can't tell already)
    Perhaps I will apply for both the 4 and 5 year...

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow.
    Yeah seems like you have a way better shot with a first and lower UKCAT than a 2:1 and a high UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayrk)
    Anyone know people with 2:1 that got into Bart's? Seems like it's pointless to no matter how high your UKCAT to apply. Some guy on another thread had 800+ and a 2:1 and didn't even get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeh... my thoughts exactly. Mostly people with 1stclass got an interview, do you know if having an MSc would help?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow.
    Im wondering if they released any stats ....
    i have a 2:1.. ukcat still yet to do and an MSc from oxford. But looking at last years thread... I'm most probably avoiding barts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    Im wondering if they released any stats ....
    i have a 2:1.. ukcat still yet to do and an MSc from oxford. But looking at last years thread... I'm most probably avoiding barts.
    Same - there's no insight whatsoever about how they calculate the 50:50. It hardly looks like it right now. Looks more like a 90:10 haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.