Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    does anybody know for warwick, do we need to have fulfilled the 70 hour work exp requirement, before 15th oct ?? I have a lot of work exp, but not in the past two years, as I just finished an MSc...

any ideas anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    Im wondering if they released any stats ....
    i have a 2:1.. ukcat still yet to do and an MSc from oxford. But looking at last years thread... I'm most probably avoiding barts.
    I read on one of the threads from last year that they do a points based system so those with a MSc PhD would get more points. Not sure how accurate that is but worth taking a look!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katray)
    I read on one of the threads from last year that they do a points based system so those with a MSc PhD would get more points. Not sure how accurate that is but worth taking a look!
    At the open day, I asked about the weighting system and wasn't given much other than having a MSc would mitigate a lower UKCAT (something I was particularly worried about). They also said that having a 1st would be better than a 2:i but having the latter wouldn't necessarily preclude a successful application; it would depend on the academics of the applicant cohort.

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT in 10 days and haven't started revising :O any tips ?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArabianPhoenix)
    UKCAT in 10 days and haven't started revising :O any tips ?!
    start now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medici103)
    At the open day, I asked about the weighting system and wasn't given much other than having a MSc would mitigate a lower UKCAT (something I was particularly worried about). They also said that having a 1st would be better than a 2:i but having the latter wouldn't necessarily preclude a successful application; it would depend on the academics of the applicant cohort.
    They're being so cryptic about it but based on last year's profiles, you basically lose 90% chance of getting an interview if you have a 2:1 even if you get 900.

See A101 stats for admission: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-829858; less than 10 of 2:1s had interviews.

On top of that, we have multiple accounts of those who applied with high UKCAT (talking about high 700s and some 800s) with 2:1s who didn't even get interviews to both A101 and A100 - so this is highly confusing. It's almost as if they are looking at a third element that we are not aware of!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was wondering if someone may please help me!
    I have recently graduated with a 2:1 in Biomedical science and am looking to study GEM.
    I took my UKCAT last week and quite disappointingly got a score of 620 :'( I found the exam so much harder than medify?!!

I was wondering if somebody could help tell me realistically what my options are now. I am thinking of also doing the BMAT in November. Which unis do you think I should consider/avoid. I would also not oppose going for the undrgrad course too

I also have good GCSE's all A*'s and A's with 2 B's but my A-Levels were quite poor: BBD (Biology, Psychology and Chemistry).

Please help me! I really want to do medicine (

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I think with a 2.2 prediction you would struggle as most places for GEM ask for a 2.1 minimum.
    I would definitely avoid Barts as last year most people that got an interview had a first. And for Kings again they want a 2.1 and are UKCAT heavy I'm not sure if your UKCAT score would be high enough for them as they go for the top 25%.
    Is there anyway you can get a 2.1 prediction? That would open more doors for you.

Yep I should be able to get a 2.1 prediction (was very close to getting a 2.1 this year). Where would you advise applying to? Thank you so much for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    does anybody know for warwick, do we need to have fulfilled the 70 hour work exp requirement, before 15th oct ?? I have a lot of work exp, but not in the past two years, as I just finished an MSc...

any ideas anyone?
    It's all work experience until Oct 15.

UCAS related question:
    What do we put down for awarding organisation for degree info?

And we don't need to put down module information?

ReputationRep:
    I was similarly wondering about module marks for degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clareite)
    Yep I should be able to get a 2.1 prediction (was very close to getting a 2.1 this year). Where would you advise applying to? Thank you so much for your reply!
    The trouble is most of the GEM unis have high UKCAT cut off scores due to the competition. I would say avoid Newcastle, Southampton, Kings, Birmingham (they want you to have already obtained your degree). If you sit the GAMSAT it would give you a chance at some other unis but I don't know much about this as I've not looked into it.
    You can apply to Cambridge with a 2.1 provided you have an A at Alevel chemistry they don't require any entrance exams. Warwick is worth a shot?
    I'm in the same situation as you but with a lower ukcat!!! But I have already got my degree so I am planning on applying to Cambridge and Bham.
    Sorry can't be much of help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saward1988)
    I was similarly wondering about module marks for degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would think this is pointless unless the universities you're applying to want to see individual module marks as some people can take a large number of them. I had 25 modules in my degree and can't imagine any university caring about the scores I got since my degree wasn't even sciencey

ReputationRep:
    The trouble is most of the GEM unis have high UKCAT cut off scores due to the competition. I would say avoid Newcastle, Southampton, Kings, Birmingham (they want you to have already obtained your degree). If you sit the GAMSAT it would give you a chance at some other unis but I don't know much about this as I've not looked into it.
    You can apply to Cambridge with a 2.1 provided you have an A at Alevel chemistry they don't require any entrance exams. Warwick is worth a shot?
    I'm in the same situation as you but with a lower ukcat!!! But I have already got my degree so I am planning on applying to Cambridge and Bham.
    Wait, Newcastle and Kings already want you to have your degree?? I've not heard this before. I'm thinking of applying to those two but I'm just going into my third year with a predicted 1st? So should I not apply to Newcastle or Kings, bit confused now you've said that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefuldoctor)
    Wait, Newcastle and Kings already want you to have your degree?? I've not heard this before. I'm thinking of applying to those two but I'm just going into my third year with a predicted 1st? So should I not apply to Newcastle or Kings, bit confused now you've said that.
    Oh no sorry I didn't mean to confuse you.
    No only Birmingham want that.

ReputationRep:
    For those wanting to apply to Kings I emailed them in regards to their UKCAT score and this is what they said:

In 2016, for A100 the minimum UKCAT score shortlisted for interview was 612 but most scores for shortlisted applications were 650+. For graduate entry it was higher with the lowest at 712 and most scores above 730 for shortlisted applicants.

Hope this is useful.

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying to just Cambridge and Birmingham?
    I'm considering applying for some 5 year courses instead as you can get in with much lower UKCAT scores.
    Yeah I'm thinking about Warwick, I'm just not sure 670 is high enough tbh...

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have recommendations for how to go about applying for work experience/volunteering? all the hospitals near me have long waiting lists and are quite competitive to get experience in. I'm currently set on working a care home on weekends but would really like a hospital based experience too. any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just looking for some general advice as I feel a bit lost right now.

Final year Biochemistry student, predicted 1st (but where do I put this on the UCAS form? do I just send an academic trancsript to my referee?)
    IB: 45 points
    Work experience/volunteering: 1 week in paediatrics department in a hospital, 2 years volunteering with paediatric play team, recently joined SJA, 2 weeks in wildlife conservation

UKCAT: VR 680 QR 740 AR 660 SJT Band 1

Planning on applying to Imperial, UCL, QM and Kings because I want to stay in London

But, I'm not sure whether it is worth applying to Kings as they only interview top 25%? this means top 25% of applicants rather than those who are in the 7.5th decile in the interim UKCAT report right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clareite)
    Are you applying to just Cambridge and Birmingham?
    I'm considering applying for some 5 year courses instead as you can get in with much lower UKCAT scores.
    Yeah I'm thinking about Warwick, I'm just not sure 670 is high enough tbh...
    I am also considering Barts but not sure as I have a low UKCAT and the whole 50:50 thing.
    I also want to apply to the 5 year courses but I'm stuck as to where so far I've looked at Keele, Sheffield and UEA. Plus of course the funding is an issue but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. How about you? Know of any 5 year courses for us lower UKCAT scorers?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm swayed against Barts because of UKCAT scores :/ Yep funding is an issue for me too but I'm just putting that to one side for now as I've heard it is possible to get loans from places other than SF - its just obviously much harder. Bristol only puts a 10% weighting on UKCAT so I'm probably going to apply there, and I'm currently thinking of having a shot at Kings. I've heard UEA is easier to get into with a lower UKCAT though and also Queens Belfast, although I'm not sure I particularly want to go to either of those tbh :P

I am also considering Barts but not sure as I have a low UKCAT and the whole 50:50 thing.
    I also want to apply to the 5 year courses but I'm stuck as to where so far I've looked at Keele, Sheffield and UEA. Plus of course the funding is an issue but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. How about you? Know of any 5 year courses for us lower UKCAT scorers?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.