Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophmlg)
    I searched for this too because the awarding organisation is your university, but ofc this isn't going to fit in that space. Other people have said they just put an abbreviation, and UCAS has said this is fine apparently. So like for me I have University of Glasgow as GLA. Looks daft but I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Yeah I just did the same thing and put an abbreviation, I doubt it matters. I imagine the main thing is that my choices can see that I have a degree, a 1st class and it's been awarded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How detailed does the UCAS reference have to be?

I'm writing up an email to the volunteering manager to ask if she'd be willing to write the reference and I'm mentioning that I can meet with her this week to go over the reference if it would help. I'm pretty nervous right now since if she declines, I don't know very many people I can trust to complete it by the deadline.

I'm going to send my personal statement to her too if it'll help.

I just don't know if she knows or remembers enough about me to write one.

ReputationRep:
    Would a med chem degree be considered enough by Oxbridge to make up for old A-levels (above 7 years old?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    I must be missing something because I'm my education tab on UCAS, no universities are showing up in the search box for college/centres. I tried obvious ones like University of Manchester but got nothing.

Do universities have to be entered manually, and without centre numbers? Centre numbers are college things and aren't used at uni. UCAS is ****.

Edit: I've now just entered it manually as a degree but it just doesn't seem correct that UCAS wouldn't have any universities saved on their system in the drop down list. It's also asking for the 'awarding organisation' of the degree, but who is that for bachelors? I did biomedical science, so the IBMS? It only provides space for 5-6 characters so it's clearly looking for something like AQA or Edexcel like in college.... Annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Weirdly, I did my degrees at Manchester, and put the University of Manchester, Language centre as nothing else would come up! Bit confusing.There was no other option.. I guess UCAS isn't really designed for graduates but they should still have every Uni on there!
    I think I'm going to just update it manually like you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    How detailed does the UCAS reference have to be?

I'm writing up an email to the volunteering manager to ask if she'd be willing to write the reference and I'm mentioning that I can meet with her this week to go over the reference if it would help. I'm pretty nervous right now since if she declines, I don't know very many people I can trust to complete it by the deadline.

I'm going to send my personal statement to her too if it'll help.

I just don't know if she knows or remembers enough about me to write one.
    I think they have to know you quite well - it's going to be a reference on your character and academic abilities. I would really try and get an academic reference, maybe ring your tutor if they're not replying to email? Giving references is pretty standard stuff for university tutors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuromeg)
    I think they have to know you quite well - it's going to be a reference on your character and academic abilities. I would really try and get an academic reference, maybe ring your tutor if they're not replying to email? Giving references is pretty standard stuff for university tutors.
    The university lecturer declined saying she didn't know me well enough about what I had been doing after university.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone considering a Cambridge Application? And if so, do you still have your UMS marks for your A Levels?! Mine were 10 years ago, so I am pretty doubtful I'll be able to get them from anywhere.

I'm surprised that you're having trouble with your uni reference. Usually they're pretty helpful as it always looks good on the uni if people go into further education. Maybe one of your subject professors who you got on well with rather than your tutor could provide something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    The university lecturer declined saying she didn't know me well enough about what I had been doing after university.
    Sorry, I was referring to your personal tutor "My personal tutor never replied to my emails (and was technologically so illiterate sometimes we'd have to start the powerpoints for her) and there's really only one other lecturer I had who knew me by name. " But if no-one from your university can help, then probably worth getting a colleague to do it, but send them some information - like your current CV and your personal statement. So long as they're not going to say anything awful I wouldn't worry too much about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuromeg)
    Sorry, I was referring to your personal tutor "My personal tutor never replied to my emails (and was technologically so illiterate sometimes we'd have to start the powerpoints for her) and there's really only one other lecturer I had who knew me by name. " But if no-one from your university can help, then probably worth getting a colleague to do it, but send them some information - like your current CV and your personal statement. So long as they're not going to say anything awful I wouldn't worry too much about it!
    Ah yeah I'll see if I can get through to her. I think I'm going to have to go visit her though. Thanks.

EDIT
    Since it's past office hours, I've emailed her again but I have a number for her so I might call her up during her office hours which she has tomorrow. I just hope she remembers me. This is the curse of being on a course with so little contact hours and commuting.

I really regret not starting this earlier. And then there's the fact that my HCA job has been delayed.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! Any advice?

I have a 2.2 in biology and am just finishing my MSc in Forensic Medical Science (unless anything magical happens, I'll be getting a merit- the equivalent of a 2.1).

Sat my GAMSAT in March and scored 70,72,79 (75 overall).

Just sat my UKCAT and scored VR: 720, QR: 620, AR: 670 (total 2010, 670 average), with a band 2 in SJ.

I don't have a tonne of work experience, but should have a load before interview.

I'm definitely applying to Nottingham and St Georges. Before taking the UKCAT, I was thinking of applying to Warwick and King's. Preferably want to stay in London, because I can't afford to move out.... but anyway.... do you guys think that applying to Warwick and King's is a total waste? On the other hand, since I f*cked up UKCAT I was thinking about throwing caution to the wind, sitting the BMAT and applying to Oxford, seeing as they don't have "entry requirements" per say..... but that seems like insanity.

Thoughts? x

ReputationRep:
    hey guys
    i was wondering how old the stuff you mention in your ps is? (oh and i'm talking non-academic, non-work-experience-related)
    because i have some stuff that i did before university (i.e. during school) which demonstrates a lot of good attributes but i don't really have much equivalent stuff that i have done recently....
    would unis be likely to ask how long ago you did specific things? not really sure what to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Would a med chem degree be considered enough by Oxbridge to make up for old A-levels (above 7 years old?)
    where does it say that you a levels need to be within 7years for oxford? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    where does it say that you a levels need to be within 7years for oxford? x
    I can't remember but someone on here quoted an admission tutor or another official source from Cambridge saying a-levels had to be at most 7 years old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddleduck)
    Hey everyone! Any advice?

I have a 2.2 in biology and am just finishing my MSc in Forensic Medical Science (unless anything magical happens, I'll be getting a merit- the equivalent of a 2.1).

Sat my GAMSAT in March and scored 70,72,79 (75 overall).

Just sat my UKCAT and scored VR: 720, QR: 620, AR: 670 (total 2010, 670 average), with a band 2 in SJ.

I don't have a tonne of work experience, but should have a load before interview.

I'm definitely applying to Nottingham and St Georges. Before taking the UKCAT, I was thinking of applying to Warwick and King's. Preferably want to stay in London, because I can't afford to move out.... but anyway.... do you guys think that applying to Warwick and King's is a total waste? On the other hand, since I f*cked up UKCAT I was thinking about throwing caution to the wind, sitting the BMAT and applying to Oxford, seeing as they don't have "entry requirements" per say..... but that seems like insanity.

Thoughts? x
    oxford would be very unlikely to shortlist you with a 2:2 x

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember but someone on here quoted an admission tutor or another official source from Cambridge saying a-levels had to be at most 7 years old
    may be for cambridge but its isn't the case for oxford ... x

ReputationRep:
    may be for cambridge but its isn't the case for oxford ... x
    Are you sure? How do you know?

ReputationRep:
    oxford would be very unlikely to shortlist you with a 2:2 x
    Haha "very unlikely" is best case scenario :P

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? How do you know?
    I checked the website thoroughly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddleduck)
    Haha "very unlikely" is best case scenario :P
    it says it on the website ... x sorry

ReputationRep:
    I checked the website thoroughly.
    Thanks, are you a current GEM student?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.