Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilibee)
    I'm just entering my qualifications in the education section of my UCAS. Will not putting down my modules/marks disadvantage my application?
    We don't have to enter module marks do we?

ReputationRep:
    I can't get through to my former personal tutor by email or by phone and her phone wouldn't even go to voicemail.

Hi all,

I have created a thread for those like me who are thinking of applying to Oxford for the 4-year accelerated course. The link is listed below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4340256

ReputationRep:
    I had my hopes on Birmingham, what do they actually look at, apart from your degree how do they differentiate?

I have a 2.1 in MPharm and AAAAC in my Highers (equivalent to AS i think ) done back in 2007. This is what they said when *I emailed them!
    ''Thank you for your email. The C grade in the Scottish Highers will be a disadvantage to an application and may not be considered. It would depend on the level of competition at the time of your application. Kind regards''*

Doesn't make sense, a qualification gained nearly 10 years ago...*

ReputationRep:
    does anyone on this forum know if my second work experience will count towards Warwick's requirements: i'm a carer *(this is accepted as its on the list on their website) and a 999 call handler, now this is what I'm worried about as it says call centre operative isn't acceptable :/ i feel it should be though as its very relevant medical experience*

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they look at your A levels. My friend got into Birmingham after doing a MPHARM degree and she got a distinction, her A levels weren't that great. I'm applying to Birmingham purely because of that tbh.

As long as you meet the requirements, Birmingham is the only university that are more or less looking for students that have done a health course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace4life)
    I don't think they look at your A levels. My friend got into Birmingham after doing a MPHARM degree and she got a distinction, her A levels weren't that great. I'm applying to Birmingham purely because of that tbh.

As long as you meet the requirements, Birmingham is the only university that are more or less looking for students that have done a health course
    Oh ok, are you sure? where does it say that?

Also do they care about work experience? because have plenty ...and am not going to apply if all they going to look at my C as a disadvantage *

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently writing emails to other former lecturers for references and I'm starting to feel like a bit of a stalker.

And my Mum keeps pressuring me to get my application done already cos she doesn't want me hanging around the house for another year not doing anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ama2007)
    What do they actually look at?
    Hello!
    I'm not completely sure what they are looking for and I've read last years thread and nobody really knows.
    From what I've gathered is:
    Preference is given to students with a first class but do consider those with a 2:1.
    Their Alevel cut off is BBB
    They then distinguish between applicants using secondary school qualifications (I don't have the best set of GCSEs so will have to have a good think of whether to risk it or not).
    They like lots of varied work exp.
    Other than that everything else is a mystery!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    I'm currently writing emails to other former lecturers for references and I'm starting to feel like a bit of a stalker.

And my Mum keeps pressuring me to get my application done already cos she doesn't want me hanging around the house for another year not doing anything.
    I feel so bad for you! It is so unfair that your personal tutor wouldn't do your reference. After reading your post I emailed my tutor quickly to ask (still waiting for a reply...)
    Have you tried contacting the head of the school (I don't know what your degree was in) surely they have given references out in the past for students? Maybe its worth emailing them perhaps they can do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katray)
    I feel so bad for you! It is so unfair that your personal tutor wouldn't do your reference. After reading your post I emailed my tutor quickly to ask (still waiting for a reply...)
    Have you tried contacting the head of the school (I don't know what your degree was in) surely they have given references out in the past for students? Maybe its worth emailing them perhaps they can do it?

Well a former lecturer declined saying she doesn't know me well enough. I was planning on meeting up with her beforehand but ran out of time due to personal problems. I'm not sure if it would be worth it to contact her and ask to meet her. I'd feel pretty uncomfortable.

And my former personal tutor isn't replying. There are two other lecturers who have taught me and I'm torn over who to contact next because the lecturer who liked me the most only taught me during my first year. My friends have told me to contact the head of the law school so I guess I'll have to do that. I'm just so stressed and bummed out. I've barely been able to eat today and I feel sick as if I've eaten an entire Thorntons chocolate shop.

EDIT
    And another former personal tutor is on research leave.

ReputationRep:
    Where does it say their A level cut off point is BBB? They might have given preference to that friend of mine since she got a 1st. But generally. I think their work experience requirements are similar to all the other universities.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys Im in a bit (lot) of a pickle!

So I have:
    • 1st in Biomedical science
    • A rubbish UKCAT score - VR640/QR620/AR590/SJT-B2

Side note: Medify is nothing like the actual exam haha.

But realistically do I have ANY chance at all of getting in to grad med this application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spudhead)

So I have:

But realistically do I have ANY chance at all of getting in to grad med this application?
    Agree with the bold.

Have you only done the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    Well a former lecturer declined saying she doesn't know me well enough. I was planning on meeting up with her beforehand but ran out of time due to personal problems. I'm not sure if it would be worth it to contact her and ask to meet her. I'd feel pretty uncomfortable.

And my former personal tutor isn't replying. There are two other lecturers who have taught me and I'm torn over who to contact next because the lecturer who liked me the most only taught me during my first year. My friends have told me to contact the head of the law school so I guess I'll have to do that. I'm just so stressed and bummed out. I've barely been able to eat today and I feel sick as if I've eaten an entire Thorntons chocolate shop.

EDIT
    And another former personal tutor is on research leave.
    I think I would email the head of the law school and see what they say or I would even go to the uni and try to see them. I wish you all the best with getting this sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace4life)
    Where does it say their A level cut off point is BBB? They might have given preference to that friend of mine since she got a 1st. But generally. I think their work experience requirements are similar to all the other universities.
    It says it on their website:
    In particular, we expect very good results in Science, English and Mathematics. As a guide our A level threshold requirements are BBB, though these grades may be raised through competition. A sound knowledge base in Chemistry is essential, either from A levels or other pre-university examinations, or from the content of the degree programme.

And yeah thats what I meant the usual variety of work exp most unis want.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would email the head of the law school and see what they say or I would even go to the uni and try to see them. I wish you all the best with getting this sorted.
    Thanks.

Have you gotten your reference sorted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spudhead)

So I have:

I think you would struggle to get into most GEM programmes as they are mostly looking at UKCAT scores of 700+
    However have you considered birmingham and cambridge? They don't require the UKCAT and you have a 1st in your degree so those 2 could definitely be a good option.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Have you gotten your reference sorted?
    Not yet. I'm waiting on a reply from my personal tutor so fingers crossed it is ok...

ReputationRep:
    Not yet. I'm waiting on a reply from my personal tutor so fingers crossed it is ok...
    Good luck to you too!

It's so annoying that the deadline is 15th October since my university doesnt start the semester until next week.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.