Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    Here's hoping!
    I cannot recommend enough the Kaplan UKCAT book (search for it on Amazon) it's much cheaper than one of their events and I kinda feel like you'd get just as much out of it!
    The tips are good for VR and it covers all of the QR. Only thing that's a little lacking is AR
    My test is in 2 days so i doubt the book will come in time haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    My test is in 2 days so i doubt the book will come in time haha
    I find that skim-reading the text and getting landmarks helps with the speed of answering questions. Also finding odd features in the question like names of things (capitalised), dates (numbers), and quotes. These are easier to spot.

ReputationRep:
    Yup a first class degree, I'll give QM a call on Monday and ask how they use the degree classifications. A levels are no way near good so Birmingham isn't a option I think.
    (Original post by NafNaf39)
    I don't think you do tbh with that UKCAT score. However, do check with Barts or I think it was Queens? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you have a 1st or a masters it can compensate for a slightly lower UKCAT. I could be wrong though as it was a while back I looked.

Also, have you considered Birmingham? Or are you A-level grades not good?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the first helps then, no harm in trying though, thank you all
    Barts would massively favour your first, but looking at their recent thresholds (and with the average for this year looking to increase via the interim) it might not be worth it.. if you've got good A-levels etc I'd recommend wasting the £20 and applying

ReputationRep:
    A levels does not need to be brilliant for Birmingham. They look as ps, reference and degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace4life)
    A levels does not need to be brilliant for Birmingham. They look as ps, reference and degree
    They have a minimum A level grade requirement and GCSE requirement as well.

ReputationRep:
    Check out this poll to see which medical schools are the most competitive this year

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post67845722

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo24)
    Check out this poll to see which medical schools are the most competitive this year

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post67845722
    Nice idea, but the two big GEM programmes are not included.

ReputationRep:
    How similar are the Medify mocks to the real thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace4life)
    I just don't understand why it's so difficult to get references these days, people just aren't willing to do you a favour. U have to chase people just for references for 1 application.
    It's worse that my former lecturer said she'd do it like last Christmas and then a week ago tells me after looking at UCAS information that she can't do it. Not really giving me much time.

(Original post by NafNaf39)
    She just made some lame excuse

Hm I'm sure you'll get there.

God that sucks. Hopefully you don't have to take a year out Don't know who else you can ask to be honest :/

That manager seems like a real pain in the butt Maybe bribe him/her with chocolates? Saying you really appreciate him doing your reference and that may make him/her move faster into doing your reference? Or do you reckon that may not work? :/ I've tried that once and it's worked :P
    That sucks. Sorry.

Thanks. I'm hoping this other lecturer replies. He's known for giving out references for people he doesn't even know.

He keeps saying he hasn't gotten it. I'd feel so weird bribing. Hasn't worked in the past.

ReputationRep:
    For the people who are struggling with getting their UCAS references: in UCAS, if you have an unfinished qualification (either your first degree, or A-levels, or anything) the referee is asked to put a grade prediction. Could it be that your referees are unable to provide a prediction (for example, they are unfamiliar with your overall degree progress or have no clue about your A-levels) and thus think they are not in position to give you a reference?
    If that could be the case, it's probably a good idea to discuss this with them beforehand and explore some options such as (1) get them in touch with someone who can give a prediction, (2) give them some info that they can make a prediction themselves, such as a full transcript for the past x years of your degree, (3) even tell them it's ok to click the button "cannot make a prediction" on UCAS. If you choose (3) however, and one of your unis assesses you on the grade prediction, they are likely to get in touch with you and ask for an official letter from someone with a prediction. Which is fine, just be prepared to provide this.
    Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in really bad shape at the moment, guys. I've revised pretty thoroughly over the past few weeks and, in my mocks, I've not been able to score anywhere near what's required for Newcastle/Warwick.

I'm a non-science applicant for GEM (with non-science A-levels) and I'm in need of some serious motivation. My UKCAT is at 08:00 on 4th October (in less than two days). I've done the UKCAT practice tests and I've used the 1000qs book. I'm not feeling very hopeful. What do you think my chances of producing a better score on test day are?

Here are my scores:

Medify MINI-MOCKS:

VR: 650
    QR: 650
    AR: 570

Average: 623

Medify FULL MOCKS:

Mock 1

VR: 700
    QR: 550
    AR: 700

Average: 650

Mock 2

VR: 570
    QR: 570
    AR: 650

Average: 596

Mock 3

VR: 600

Average: 600

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThrowawayMike)
    I'm in really bad shape at the moment, guys. I've revised pretty thoroughly over the past few weeks and, in my mocks, I've not been able to score anywhere near what's required for Newcastle/Warwick.

I'm a non-science applicant for GEM (with non-science A-levels) and I'm in need of some serious motivation. My UKCAT is at 08:00 on 4th October (in less than two days). I've done the UKCAT practice tests and I've used the 1000qs book. I'm not feeling very hopeful. What do you think my chances of producing a better score on test day are?

Here are my scores:

Medify MINI-MOCKS:

Medify FULL MOCKS:

Mock 1

Mock 2

Mock 3

Probably relaxing on the day? I wouldn't be too concerned about mock results. My averages for the three medify mocks have ranged from 800-670 so who can take anything from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThrowawayMike)

Here are my scores:

Medify MINI-MOCKS:

Medify FULL MOCKS:

Mock 1

Mock 2

Mock 3

mocks mean nothing (the scores) just helps with practice xx

ReputationRep:
    Barts would massively favour your first, but looking at their recent thresholds (and with the average for this year looking to increase via the interim) it might not be worth it.. if you've got good A-levels etc I'd recommend wasting the £20 and applying
    Hi, sorry this wasn't direct at me but i'm interested in applying to barts/queens. Do you know what the thresholds were off the top of you head? I can't find them.

ReputationRep:
    PANIC MODE

still do my PS
    and my Cambridge application
    get 2 referees
    and study for my BMAT

I dont know where to start *

ReputationRep:
    I'm very confused guys, how do we need 2 references??? UCAS only gives you room for 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    mocks mean nothing (the scores) just helps with practice xx
    Agreed! My mock scores were nothing like my real ones. I never did very well in the QR mocks but it ended up being my best result!

ReputationRep:
    Are there any graduates applying to the 5 year degree in Cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    I finally got a reply from some lecturers about the reference and two have offered to do it. I feel a bit calmer about this now.

If universities don't look at a level grades and only ask for a 2:1 in your degree, would they expect to see your individual module grades on your application?

EDIT
    But I've caved and rewritten my personal statement and it's now 1321 words, 7357 characters and 86 lines long.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.