Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying to Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hormonal)
    Really? I'm pretty worried about failing at interview, I know I can get interviews for the 4 year course. I don't have a 1st so my personal tutor advised me not to apply for 4 year courses and my overall application is pretty weak to be honest. I've done work experience 4 years ago and nothing since then.
    Not having a first is not an issue unless you want to apply to barts or Birmingham or maybe Oxbridge. Southampton literally want a 2.1 and a minimum of a c at a level Chem. After that they literally don't care abut your academics. As for work experience, why not put down what you already have, and then get some more?? Southampton only look at your personal statement during the interview, so as long as you have something to say for yourself then you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I called them up and I've decided to apply, but I'm still worried I won't stand out compared to the other applicants... Like I have no clue what you're supposed to say/do at a GEM interview... I'll be able to get care home work experience but it's looking unlikely for me to get proper work experience (I do have proper work experience from years ago).
    yes its a good choice to make to apply to them based on your ukcat score.

If i were you, i would get some work exp now..in time for interview to talk about.

Look on the NHS website. if you are in london UCLH is looking for many xx

ReputationRep:
    I called QMUL, they said they will compare your degree classifications with students who have 1st classes and Masters', so your competitiveness depends on the academic achievements of the cohort (most likely loads of 1st classes...).
    i have a 2:1 and an MSc but not going to bother applying.
    too risky for me.

ReputationRep:
    QM initially use UKCAT cut off mark and then rank the remaining applicants academic profiles with the UKCAT scores if that helps.
    I called QMUL, they said they will compare your degree classifications with students who have 1st classes and Masters', so your competitiveness depends on the academic achievements of the cohort (most likely loads of 1st classes...).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if it is worth applying to QM if I don't meet the GCSE criteria for A100 (5yr course)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akz18)
    QM initially use UKCAT cut off mark and then rank the remaining applicants academic profiles with the UKCAT scores if that helps.
    last year someone with a 2:1 and a MSc distinction plus a 800 ukcat score was rejected. where as someone with a 1st and a 670 score was interviewed.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get that info from if you don't mind me asking? The entire 50:50 process was confusing me so I called admin and asked three individuals and all of them said they use UKCAT initially then the academic profile with the UKCAT. Really confusing if the info you have is from them :/
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    last year someone with a 2:1 and a MSc distinction plus a 800 ukcat score was rejected. where as someone with a 1st and a 670 score was interviewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akz18)
    Where did you get that info from if you don't mind me asking? The entire 50:50 process was confusing me so I called admin and asked three individuals and all of them said they use UKCAT initially then the academic profile with the UKCAT. Really confusing if the info you have is from them :/
    on last years Barts Thread.

did the person with the first have a masters as well? because I am predicted a first and got 670 myself. So far I was downbeat about Barts as an option because my score is just too low.

can you also link me to that page pls. Thanks in advance.

(Original post by Lostperson)
    Sorry I forgot to quote you 😬

ReputationRep:
    On UCAS, when entering degree results it has a part for the degree classification and it says adding individual module marks is optional.

Do you think it makes a difference if these are added or not??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michrab123)
    On UCAS, when entering degree results it has a part for the degree classification and it says adding individual module marks is optional.

Usually only if you score like 90%+

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasillon)
    Usually only if you score like 90%+

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok thanks! I guess they will request transcripts anyway as evidence of your degree so they will see on there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michrab123)

I painstakingly added all 33 modules, but looking back i don't think it was worth it. I haven't for my A levels.

ReputationRep:
    FINAL UKCAT MEAN SCORES FOR 2016
    VR- 573
    QR- 690
    AR- 630
    Mean total- 1893

Mean for 2015 was 1902 (-DA), so overall the scores have fallen slightly from 2015.

9th decile has fallen from 2160 to 2150. So if you know the university thresholds for last year then you can assume they'll be roughly the same this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have the final deciles been published?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

It was asked earlier but i don't think anyone offered any suggestions. I'm applying for both graduate entry and standard entry medicine (3:1 or 2:2 ratio). Is there any standard entry universities which only take into account a candidates degree classification (1st) and UKCAT (750), ignoring GCSE and A Level when applying as a graduate?

I'm doing so hoping it may increase my chances of getting a place seeing as GEM is so competitive!

Thanks, Gavin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GavinJR)
    Hi guys,

It was asked earlier but i don't think anyone offered any suggestions. I'm applying for both graduate entry and standard entry medicine (3:1 or 2:2 ratio). Is there any standard entry universities which only take into account a candidates degree classification (1st) and UKCAT (750), ignoring GCSE and A Level when applying as a graduate?

I'm doing so hoping it may increase my chances of getting a place seeing as GEM is so competitive!

Thanks, Gavin
    The best thing to do is to phone up the universities admissions team and go from there. They won't have specific info like that on their sites

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saward1988)
    Have the final deciles been published?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, that's where I got the above stats from

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.