Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    HEY BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

I scored 710 i my ukcat (not too happy about it) and I am really nervous about applying for grad course at kings. Am i right in thinking the score is a bit low to be considered?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NafNaf39)
    Yeah if need be I can pop by

Wow that's really fast!!

This PS is depressing. I've just remodelled it and now need to cut down 18 characters.
    Would your referee be okay with a popup visit? Is this your tutor from uni?

Yeah I know. I was pretty surprised. I emailed him on Sunday asking if he could do a reference for me. Half an hour later i got a reply saying sure and Monday like 6pm he had submitted it. Granted, he was one of the nicer lecturers at my uni.

18 characters are not so bad. I have to cut 2911 characters hahahaha lawl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosser1994)
    Just a little bit of help please!
    Seeing as how the UKCAT scores were lower than last year I think i'll just seek advice 1 last time before I submit my application. I've got a 2:1 in BMedSci, I meet all the necessary A-level and GCSE requirements and i've got plenty of care experience (Currently training as a HCA, medical brigade abroad and care home volunteering). My UKCAT average was 743.3 and SJ Band 1. My choices currently are Southampton, Kings, Warwick and Newcastle. Are there any other places I should consider or look at over those? Any which might be worth looking at?
    That is a great score and tbh you stand a real chance for each of those unis. Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    Would your referee be okay with a popup visit? Is this your tutor from uni?

Yeah I know. I was pretty surprised. I emailed him on Sunday asking if he could do a reference for me. Half an hour later i got a reply saying sure and Monday like 6pm he had submitted it. Granted, he was one of the nicer lecturers at my uni.

18 characters are not so bad. I have to cut 2911 characters hahahaha lawl.
    Yeah she'll be fine with me dropping by but I don't think it'll come to that.

Lucky you! At least that reference is out the way for you! Wohoo!

OMG! I wouldn't be able to sleep if I needed to do that much chopping. I need to cut down one more character now :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she'll be fine with me dropping by but I don't think it'll come to that.

Lucky you! At least that reference is out the way for you! Wohoo!

OMG! I wouldn't be able to sleep if I needed to do that much chopping. I need to cut down one more character now :P
    I hope you get your reference quickly. It's so stressful.

Thanks.

Good luck!
    Yeah I'm trying to cut out the waffle but then the sentences become disjointed and it doesn't read smoothly. I'm a writer deep at heart despite my love of emoji and text speak.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you get your reference quickly. It's so stressful.

Thanks.

Good luck!
    Yeah I'm trying to cut out the waffle but then the sentences become disjointed and it doesn't read smoothly. I'm a writer deep at heart despite my love of emoji and text speak.
    It definitely is.

I've managed to shrink mine but just worried about it not looking good and a bit chunky? Along with the possibility of it sounding like a list -__-

Aw I'm sure you'll come out with an amazing PS with your out of the word literary skills. I suck at writing and grammar, so I'm always second guessing myself when it comes to that.

ReputationRep:
    It definitely is.

I've managed to shrink mine but just worried about it not looking good and a bit chunky? Along with the possibility of it sounding like a list -__-

Aw I'm sure you'll come out with an amazing PS with your out of the word literary skills. I suck at writing and grammar, so I'm always second guessing myself when it comes to that.
    You could read it out and record it. And then listen back to it to see if it flows or not.

You don't need good grammar to be a good writer. My grammar sucks. Just write what makes sense to you and it's good enough.

Also, I'm listening to the ClintonTrump debate so a little bit distracted. And just realised how irritating and grating Trump's voice is. His accent (I like American accent btw) is just so hard to tolerate.

ReputationRep:
    You could read it out and record it. And then listen back to it to see if it flows or not.

You don't need good grammar to be a good writer. My grammar sucks. Just write what makes sense to you and it's good enough.

Also, I'm listening to the ClintonTrump debate so a little bit distracted. And just realised how irritating and grating Trump's voice is. His accent (I like American accent btw) is just so hard to tolerate.
    I'll try that. Thanks for the tip

Yeah I still am amazed how some Americans are still supporting him. Especially what he said about his daughter O_O Yuck.

ReputationRep:
    I'll try that. Thanks for the tip

Yeah I still am amazed how some Americans are still supporting him. Especially what he said about his daughter O_O Yuck.
    No probs.

Oh god I know. And there are women out there who still support him! Not surprised Farage defended him too.

ReputationRep:
    No probs.

Oh god I know. And there are women out there who still support him! Not surprised Farage defended him too.
    How his daughter, who appears to be a rather intelligent individual, is backing him is beyond me.

Hope he doesn't win.

Do you know if any of your friends are applying to medicine or are you the only one?

ReputationRep:
    JenJenXD I think Keele have additional A level requirements so be weary of that. Best to check out their requirements on their webpage because although they may have low UKCAT threshold they MAY have other requirements - so do keep that in mind.

On another note how on Earth are people staying within the PS limit I'm still 300 characters over
    Ok thanks I will have a good look at their entry requirements & I know I'm still over on my PS as well! *Don't want to cut out some good parts and with too much condensing it ends up not making sense :/*

Just read it out loud as i find it helps sometimes deciding what sounds good or bad, and show as many people as you can to get feedback *

Good luck *

ReputationRep:
    How his daughter, who appears to be a rather intelligent individual, is backing him is beyond me.

Hope he doesn't win.

Do you know if any of your friends are applying to medicine or are you the only one?
    She definitely is intelligent. Because if she just sticks it out, she will be inheriting lots of $$$$$ soon.

I doubt he will win. And if he does, he won't be able to do much. Congress will just block everything he attempts to do. Presidents can't get much done when their party doesn't control both chambers in Congress.

Don't think so. Most are going for corporate law jobs and I don't blame them. With the weakening Pound against the dollar, they're hoping to get jobs with American law firms. One of them wanted to work for the Civil Service but she didn't get throug the applications so she's looking for business related jobs. I can't imagine myself working in the corporate world though.

ReputationRep:
    They don't automatically select you for the 5 year course. It's only if your an exceptional candidate and they're impressed at the grad interview but don't think you'll be able to cope with the grad course.
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    That depends: could you afford to do the undergrad course?

Not much point applying for both at king's by the way; they automatically consider you for the undergrad course if you're unsuccessful at interview for the grad course. So don't waste a choice. I seem to remember you have a good ukcat score, so why not apply to Newcastle? They shortlist for interview solely on the basis of ukcat, as do Southampton, so you have a pretty certain chance of two interviews straight off the bat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Just in a dilemma, should I get my reference from my MSc xourse head from my uni, or from my college tutor who I know can write me a really good reference. The course head from uni is going to write my reference just based on my CV so not sure. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akz18)
    Hi guys,

Just in a dilemma, should I get my reference from my MSc xourse head from my uni, or from my college tutor who I know can write me a really good reference. The course head from uni is going to write my reference just based on my CV so not sure. Thank you!
    Assuming it's been a minimum of 4 years since you were at college, i'd definitely get the reference from your MSc head. It may look strange not having a reference who can mention your academic abilities for your university education.

Edit: Also, since you're applying largely based on your university degree, it may look even more odd having your college tutor.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if its worth applying to bristol grad course even though i don't meet their a level requirements.
    They want an A in chemistry but i got a B.
    But i just spoke to someone who didn't get an A in chemistry and got an interview at bristol.
    Do you think if your personal statement is good enough it could over ride the fact i haven't got the A level grades or should i just avoid the risk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocoholic20)
    Does anybody know if its worth applying to bristol grad course even though i don't meet their a level requirements.
    But i just spoke to someone who didn't get an A in chemistry and got an interview at bristol.
    Do you think if your personal statement is good enough it could over ride the fact i haven't got the A level grades or should i just avoid the risk?
    By all means, phone them and ask , but otherwise no. I wouldn't risk the space, especially with other uni's not all requiring chemistry at A, or at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocoholic20)
    Bristol is no longer offering grad medicine

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/medical-school/prospective/

"Please note: The MB ChB Medicine (graduate entry) (A101) course is not available for applications for 2017 entry."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carbon_)
    Bristol is no longer offering grad medicine

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/medical-school/prospective/

"Please note: The MB ChB Medicine (graduate entry) (A101) course is not available for applications for 2017 entry."

Thankyou for this!!

I meant to say undergrad....

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. Thought I'd make an account as I spend a lot of time sweatily stalking the thread.

Stats are the following: 2:1 Bsc, UKCAT: VR - 900 QR - 780 AR - 650 AVG - 777

I know three of my choices, but I am torn for the last one. Barts or Southampton? Is Barts a waste of time because of the 2:1?

Also I don't have A-level chemistry and Southampton say they are unsure if my degree would qualify me for their course, but I have to apply for them to check the syllabus fully.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.