Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

So basically my first few assignments are due in soon. Ive completed one, however i still feel i have not yet grasped referencing work 100%.

My problem is if you're writing an assignment and you have learnt about topics and done further reading around it, when it comes to answering a question, none of what you're writing is your information. It is all taken from books so im completely stuck, if i remember something, a fact for example and want to talk about it i must reference it right? So everything i write must be referenced from start to finish? I mean if i did that i would have 50 references would i not?

ReputationRep:
    To some extent, you're correct about using references as facts. Referencing, however, is basically an example to illustrate a paragraph or point. It is similar to PEE- Point, Evidence, Explain. At uni, a reference is an evidence. You have to get information from a book, paraphrase it and reference it, indicating where you've cited the information. I've been averaging 65% (I'm a first year) and I found that including a lot of references boost your marks.

To conclude, paraphrase an information or fact and include a reference at the end (John, 2010, p165). I use the harvard system. (name of person who wrote the article or book you're citing from, the year it was written and the page you got your information from).

Hope this helped

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.