Abnormality definition - Failure to function adequately Watch

oscaranderson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm doing AQA AS psychology (Unit 2) and I'm just confused regarding a limitation of the definition for 'failure to function adequately' could someone give me one in the structure of an evaluation point as if written in an exam answer? (please don't use the limitation referring to cultural relativism! I already have got that one)
Thanks!
NineTailedFox
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I cant write them all as a full point as I can't really remember them but hopefully it still helps a bit

- One limitation of failure to function adequately is that it can be criticized for not differentiating sufficiently between abnormal behavior and behavior which may be simply unconventional.

- Another limitation is that the individual may not be psychologically abnormal yet is categorized as so, for example, an immigrant who is learning English may not be able to communicate well therefore be classed as abnormal even though they are not.

- A third limitation is that it is difficult assess abnormality using failure to function adequately as some psychological disorders may not prevent a person from functioning adequately for example those with Bulimia.

These all suggest that failure to function adequatley is not an appropriate way of defining abnormality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.45%
No (68)
98.55%

Watched Threads