Turn on thread page Beta

intimidated at gym watch

Announcements

hi i have recently joined a gym but when i go i feel quite intimidated.

It seems to be populated by perfect looking skinny girls who can use every machine at the gym and barely break into a sweat and still have perfect hair, lol, and seriously muscly guys.

I feel people are looking at me and thinking "what the hell is that chubby girl doing here!"

i know i'm probably being majorly paranoid but does anyone else feel like that? and do you get to feel more 'at home' there the more you go?

ReputationRep:
    Most people feel intimidated when they first start going to the gym, but then feel more confident as their body improves.

Most people are too busy with their own workouts to give a crap what anybody else is up to.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I used to feel like that, that eveyrone was looking at me and thinking "god is that all she can do on the treadmill" adn I used to feel really rushed when people were waiting to use the equipment I was on, but don't worry they're far to busy concentratinh on not breaking a sweat (or messing up their hair) to noticed anyone else!

ReputationRep:
    classic newbie feelings are that everybody is looking at you...reality is nobody cares, they are all concentrating on doing their own thing

those perfect looking skinny girls are a lot more obsessed with looking at their own reflections than other girls

everyone feels that way at the start, its the hardest time to go to the gym because you still feel and look unfit and feel like you are out of place, but if you stick it out for a few weeks going regularly then you will start feeling more accepted there, you might recognise a few of the same faces and say hello or nod to them etc, also, if you are eating properly and going to the gym regularly, you will stop feeling like a "chubby girl" and more like one of those toned experienced ones who intimidate the newbies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guffy)
    Most people are too busy with their own workouts to give a crap what anybody else is up to.
    Agreed. I mean I might notice a particularly attractive girl, but generally I go to the gym for me, not to critically analyse other people's bodies.

ReputationRep:
    "What the hell is that chubby girl doing here?"

Hello pot, this is kettle. Black over.

Stating the bleeding obvious surely?

ReputationRep:
    I guess it is different at different gyms and hence hard to say that the attitude you feel towards you exists often. I know that at the gym I go to there are very many different kinds of people and most are very helpful and nice. Also the gym at school is great and there one always trains with friends - the might be something for you, go to the gym with your friends (i.e. if you have some going to the gym, but I guess most ppl have...).
    The only people at the gym I get annoyed with are persons that think they know more than everyone else and then goes in and trains for 5 minutes and then leaves after not training properly...
    But if you feel really uncomfortable I guess you could change gym, but don't be sure it will be better... and remember it _might_ be more a feeling you have than an actual attitude from the surrounding people.

ReputationRep:
    Either accept that you need to work hard in the gym.

Or don't go, and become fatter.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    i hope other people don't put you off.... they shoud be thinking good on you for having the willpower to go to the gym not looking down their noses (which i'm sure they're not) stick with it and you'll start feeling great...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hi i have recently joined a gym but when i go i feel quite intimidated.

It seems to be populated by perfect looking skinny girls who can use every machine at the gym and barely break into a sweat and still have perfect hair, lol, and seriously muscly guys.

I feel people are looking at me and thinking "what the hell is that chubby girl doing here!"

i know i'm probably being majorly paranoid but does anyone else feel like that? and do you get to feel more 'at home' there the more you go?
    To be honest Ive been going to the gym for ages and am worried that im far too small boned and skinny, I think well at least chubby girls are bigger boned and will look really nice and more athletic when they have finished lol. Anyway you do get the quiet posers but its just something you will get used to don't worry. I bet if you keep going for a few weeks some of them will come over and talk to you anyway. Your right about gaining confidence the more you go the less you should feel intimidated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aced)
    Either accept that you need to work hard in the gym.

Or don't go, and become fatter.
    Erm no, she could go jogging outside, cycling, play badminton etc to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodLife)
    Erm no, she could go jogging outside, cycling, play badminton etc to lose weight.
    Wouldn't fancy it in this weather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guffy)
    Wouldn't fancy it in this weather.
    I would its nice and cool:p:

ReputationRep:
    In Guffland it's cold, incredibly windy, and lashing it down with rain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodLife)
    Play badminton to lose weight?? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Beast)
    Play badminton to lose weight?? lol
    Playing competitive sport is a fantastic way to lose weight. You can go for so long because you're enjoying it.

I've played tennis for 5/6 hours at a time before.

Thanks for the comments people, I guess it will become easier in time, I wasn't going to let it stop me going to the gym by the way but I just felt uncomfortable. I do hope I never become one of those snooty skinny girls who look down their nose at people though, lol

oh and another question I was trying to weigh myself at the gym and convert stones and pounds to kilos using their chart. Apparently I'm 7 kilos overweight (which didn't sound tooo bad and about what I was expecting) and then I tried to convert it and got that I was a stone and a half overweight. Have I converted it right, if so I am very depressed lol. (it doesn't help being titchy as I'm meant to be lighter than most argh).

Oh well i'll just carry on trying to eat sensibly and exercise i suppose...hey ho...

oh and btw i really don't enjoy competitive sport, which is why I decided to join the gym instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    oh and another question I was trying to weigh myself at the gym and convert stones and pounds to kilos using their chart. Apparently I'm 7 kilos overweight (which didn't sound tooo bad and about what I was expecting) and then I tried to convert it and got that I was a stone and a half overweight. Have I converted it right, if so I am very depressed lol.
    Not quite a stone and a half.

1 kilo = 2.2 lbs, so 7 kilos = 15.4 lbs, or 1 stone 1.4 lbs.

ReputationRep:
    How tall are you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2006
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.