Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this year for my UCAS I applied to do a Mathematics course and mechanical engineering course at 2 universities,(along with a computing and math degree at another) however, this has backlashed since I don't want to do engineering anymore, since in my opinion, the types of jobs i'll be doing are not exactly fun. (not to offend any engineering students).

The good news is: For both of my engineering courses, I've been rejected.
    The bad news is: I want to re-apply with my new choices (which is to offer myself to more universities to do math / computing foundation degrees).

I don't know what I should do, can anyone help me with this?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX)
    Ok so this year for my UCAS I applied to do a Mathematics course and mechanical engineering course at 2 universities,(along with a computing and math degree at another) however, this has backlashed since I don't want to do engineering anymore, since in my opinion, the types of jobs i'll be doing are not exactly fun. (not to offend any engineering students).

The good news is: For both of my engineering courses, I've been rejected.
    The bad news is: I want to re-apply with my new choices (which is to offer myself to more universities to do math / computing foundation degrees).

I don't know what I should do, can anyone help me with this?
    If you are focusing on a career path rather than a subject in its own right then I would consider doing work experience or speaking to people who work within that area - it's difficult to decide without some sort of insight.

If you still have blank spaces available on UCAS can you apply to other unis still?

Otherwise you might need to wait until clearing or reapply the following year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    If you are focusing on a career path rather than a subject in its own right then I would consider doing work experience or speaking to people who work within that area - it's difficult to decide without some sort of insight.

If you still have blank spaces available on UCAS can you apply to other unis still?

Otherwise you might need to wait until clearing or reapply the following year.
    I've done work experience, I hated it.

No blank spots on my UCAS either.

looks like clearing will be my saviour

ReputationRep:
    well if you get any offers you can always ask to change course when you get there If you have the appropriate qualifications universities can sometimes be quite flexible. Look at adjustment as well as clearing, although very few people get places through adjustment and a lot get places in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the advice above about 'changing when you get there'.

1) it may not be possible and you'll be stuck doing a course you dont want for 3 years.
    2) it mat not be possible until Xmas (ie, until someone else has dropped out) and you'll have a whole term's work to do on your own whilst trying to grapple with a new subject. You dropping out at this point is very likely.
    3) friendship groups form quickly. You will always be the outsider if you join a course late.

If you really arent sure what course you want to do, cancel your application for this year. No-where does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.

Spend the rest iof this year betting the best grades you can - and without all the hysteria of UCAS/Unis to distract you.
    Do some calm, clear thinking over the next year about what you want to do (and why), and apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    Ignore the advice above about 'changing when you get there'.

1) it may not be possible and you'll be stuck doing a course you dont want for 3 years.
    2) it mat not be possible until Xmas (ie, until someone else has dropped out) and you'll have a whole term's work to do on your own whilst trying to grapple with a new subject. You dropping out at this point is very likely.
    3) friendship groups form quickly. You will always be the outsider if you join a course late.

If you really arent sure what course you want to do, cancel your application for this year. No-where does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.

Spend the rest iof this year betting the best grades you can - and without all the hysteria of UCAS/Unis to distract you.
    Do some calm, clear thinking over the next year about what you want to do (and why), and apply next year.
    Thank you, I have done some thinking, I don't want to do engineering and waste my potential stuck in some factory. IT seems like the best route since I won't be stuck in some noisy environment for my career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX)
    I don't want to do engineering and waste my potential stuck in some factory.
    I dont think you quite understand what an engineer does!

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you quite understand what an engineer does!
    Well from what I've read and experienced, the term "engineer" is way too vague.

Bottom line is, they work in factories, using very little math, I don't want to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a technician..... or a mechanic.

Engineers are professional people with professional status. An engineer is a professional practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical, societal and commercial problems. See : http://www.tomorrowsengineers.org.uk/Post_16/

PS. You also seem to have a very odd idea of what a 'factory' is - did you realise that we have actually moved on from the dark satanic mills of the Industrial Revolution?

ReputationRep:
    Thats a technician..... or a mechanic.

Engineers are professional people with professional status. An engineer is a professional practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical, societal and commercial problems. See : http://www.tomorrowsengineers.org.uk/Post_16/

PS. You also seem to have a very odd idea of what a 'factory' is - did you realise that we have actually moved on from the dark satanic mills of the Industrial Revolution?
    Good, because in computing there's 0 chance I can get my hands dirty

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.