Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why are people sceptical of missing planes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As I'm sure many of you know, a few planes have gone "missing" in recent months and every time it's happened all I have seen are statements like "how can a plane just go missing like that, they're huge"
    Now am I being silly or are they? I'm my theory i imagine it's quite easy for a plane to go missing, the sky and world are big ol' places and if the radar is tampered with then it's pretty easy for it to vanish.
    Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Poor understanding of how VAST an ocean is + poor understanding of statistics + poor knowledge of how many aeroplanes crash every year + weak human ability to grasp risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Poor understanding of how VAST an ocean is + poor understanding of statistics + poor knowledge of how many aeroplanes crash every year + weak human ability to grasp risk.
    Yeah, not always the sharpest race, are we? 😂

ReputationRep:
    B-b-b-but the plane is big!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    B-b-b-but the plane is big!
    No Dougal, this plane is near. The ones out there are . far . away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    No Dougal, this plane is near. That plane is . far . away.
    Good old Father Ted.

ReputationRep:
    From the comments I've seen, people seem to think that because they can track their phone within the country it MUST be trivial to detect smashed up bits of aircraft miles below the ocean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyka)
    people seem to think that because they can track their phone within the country it MUST be trivial to detect smashed up bits of aircraft miles below the ocean.
    Yet they can't find the remote and that's only down the back of the sofa.

ReputationRep:
    People forget that no mode of transport will ever be flawless and routine.

ReputationRep:
    Because even before "Lost" aired on our televisions there were those that wear the hallowed tin foil hat.

(Original post by Simes)
    No Dougal, this plane is near. The ones out there are . far . away.
    So ****ing rep worthy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Clear proof aliens are in the south east as area

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyka)
    From the comments I've seen, people seem to think that because they can track their phone within the country it MUST be trivial to detect smashed up bits of aircraft miles below the ocean.
    But then why can't they track its last position over water? This is something I've always been curious about.

ReputationRep:
    Same reason people have trouble comprehending the exponential rule. Namely, low IQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqcHG7QUK9k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spleenharvester)
    But then why can't they track its last position over water? This is something I've always been curious about.
    They will have its last known position on radar, but that only helps you narrow down the search field as it'll drop off radar when it gets low to the ground (but before it has crashed) and - of course - water is not stationary, especially in a storm.

They've now found the plane and wreckage in the AirAisa case but it's 100 miles away from its last position on radar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spleenharvester)
    People often misunderstand what radar is in this context.

It is not a radiowave being sent out and 'bouncing' off the skin of the aircraft, back to a ground receiver. That's military tech.

In civilian cases it's a map plotting the positions of aircraft based on the signals the aircraft themselves are giving off. In extreme weather, say electrical storms, signals often don't get through, or get disrupted.

ReputationRep:
    A Boeing 777 (MH370) can be a really big jet, but not compared to the ocean it got lost in. Currents, weather, impact, uncertainty of actual route etc,. can all be factors that favour. Assumptions can go to infinity, but to be certain we need evidence, proof. It's the first time in the aviation industry which involves a wide body jetliner missing, that too for way over 6+ months now without even the slightest trace. Could be hijack, terrorists, pilot suicide (highly unlikely but still a factor), rapid cabin decompression, explosives, it can go on.. All we know regarding the missing plane of the year is that the transponder was deliberately switched off and the aircraft veered off course until it went out of radar. The case of MH17 is pure politics with the government involved, investigations are still going on. It's not a missing aircraft. AirAsia, possible due to bad weather but finally the site of crash is found. Again, since 3 days past, likely the actual position of contact with ocean is unknown as wreckage/debris have drifted apart. Could take days to weeks and maybe a month or two until all bodies are found.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnolaGay)
    A Boeing 777 (MH370) can be a really big jet, but not compared to the ocean it got lost in. Currents, weather, impact, uncertainty of actual route etc,. can all be factors that favour. Assumptions can go to infinity, but to be certain we need evidence, proof. It's the first time in the aviation industry which involves a wide body jetliner missing, that too for way over 6+ months now without even the slightest trace. Could be hijack, terrorists, pilot suicide (highly unlikely but still a factor), rapid cabin decompression, explosives, it can go on.. All we know regarding the missing plane of the year is that the transponder was deliberately switched off and the aircraft veered off course until it went out of radar. The case of MH17 is pure politics with the government involved, investigations are still going on. It's not a missing aircraft. AirAsia, possible due to bad weather but finally the site of crash is found. Again, since 3 days past, likely the actual position of contact with ocean is unknown as wreckage/debris have drifted apart. Could take days to weeks and maybe a month or two until all bodies are found.
    Exactly, people act like tracing it exactly would be easy, if the plane loses power it could travel around 100 miles before it crashes, even than people expect it to be traced after it crashes into the sea at a phenomenal speed, in the vast ocean and potentially miles below the surface.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.