Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Holiday in Lebanon Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    Next summer i am considering going on holiday to Lebanon. It seems like a great holiday location,however I'm concerned about safety. How safe would it be for a foreigner? Also,is it worth learning some basic Lebanese before i go. Has anyone been who can help me.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    There's some hostility in the area but nothing major for you to worry about in my opinion, I suggest you see what advice that's given by travel operators, foreign advice etc also I haven't been but my family have, they enjoyed the cultural aspects and their food is amazing apparently haha, enjoy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm from Lebanon.

It's relatively safe,as long as you stay away from the North and from along the Syrian border. However it's common to see security guards around as they're on alert for terrorist attacks. Sudden outbreaks of violence can occur anytime in the country. (hope I'm not scaring you.)

You could learn a few Lebanese Arabic phrases,but you might get by fine with English as it's become increasingly spoken. If you speak French that'd be really helpful too as it's commonly spoken.

Whereabouts are you looking into staying/visiting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Hey. I'm from Lebanon.

It's relatively safe,as long as you stay away from the North and from along the Syrian border. However it's common to see security guards around as they're on alert for terrorist attacks. Sudden outbreaks of violence can occur anytime in the country. (hope I'm not scaring you.)

You could learn a few Lebanese Arabic phrases,but you might get by fine with English as it's become increasingly spoken. If you speak French that'd be really helpful too as it's commonly spoken.

Whereabouts are you looking into staying/visiting?
    Hi thanks for replying. My French is decent, so that's encouraging.

I'm planning on staying in Beirut mainly. Which other places would you recommend? I'm fascinated by Lebanon's history, so historical ones would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostwanderer)
    Hello.
    Next summer i am considering going on holiday to Lebanon. It seems like a great holiday location,however I'm concerned about safety. How safe would it be for a foreigner? Also,is it worth learning some basic Lebanese before i go. Has anyone been who can help me.
    Thanks
    Lebanon is great! I am from there, great place to visit, I was there this summer and visit family often... LOTs to see

ReputationRep:
    Great

Lots of interesting historical places. Baalbek is a must to visit. Its Temple of Jupiter is the largest Roman temple ever built. And its ruins are arguably one of the most impressive examples of surviving Phoenician and Greco-Roman architecture in the World.Its Temple of Jupiter is the largest Roman temple ever built. Bekaa valley is a pretty incredible view.
    Along with Tyre(once a Phoenician city). Also Byblos, claimed to be the longest continuously inhabited settlement in the world. I also recommend visiting Beiteddine,and Mir Amin Palace.
    Jeita Grotto is absolutely spectacular!

http://beiruting.com/VisitLebanon/PlacesToGo
    Before visiting anywhere, ensure its safety first!

I am slightly biased but honestly Lebanon is a beautiful country,and our food's pretty great . I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself

ReputationRep:
    Great

Lots of interesting historical places. Baalbek is a must to visit. Its Temple of Jupiter is the largest Roman temple ever built. And its ruins are arguably one of the most impressive examples of surviving Phoenician and Greco-Roman architecture in the World.Its Temple of Jupiter is the largest Roman temple ever built. Bekaa valley is a pretty incredible view.
    Along with Tyre(once a Phoenician city). Also Byblos, claimed to be the longest continuously inhabited settlement in the world. I also recommend visiting Beiteddine,and Mir Amin Palace.
    Jeita Grotto is absolutely spectacular!

http://beiruting.com/VisitLebanon/PlacesToGo
    Before visiting anywhere, ensure its safety first!

I am slightly biased but honestly Lebanon is a beautiful country,and our food's pretty great . I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself
    I second this motion.... best place I have ever seen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XavierMyshkin)
    I second this motion.... best place I have ever seen!
    Yesss. So beautiful.
    Where in Lebanon are you from?

ReputationRep:
    Woww sounds great. I truly cannot wait. Lebanon has always interested me as a country, really is a special little country.

I know its more liberal than other countries in the Middle East,but is there any expected dressing for tourists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostwanderer)
    Woww sounds great. I truly cannot wait. Lebanon has always interested me as a country, really is a special little country.

I know its more liberal than other countries in the Middle East,but is there any expected dressing for tourists?
    I wouldn't worry about dress code! Most people are pretty tolerant and you get all sorts of different clothes wear. Jeans/t-shirt are the standard thing on the road amongst young people during summer I suppose and what I usually wear when there... if that helps...

ReputationRep:
    Yesss. So beautiful.
    Where in Lebanon are you from?
    I am from the south; a village called Ain Qana, you can see it on the map here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain_Qana

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I am from the south; a village called Ain Qana, you can see it on the map here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain_Qana

What about you?
    I'm from Qana! (In the Tyre district)

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Qana! (In the Tyre district)
    No way! What a coincidence! Now live in the UK I am guessing? How long have you lived abroad?

ReputationRep:
    No way! What a coincidence! Now live in the UK I am guessing? How long have you lived abroad?
    Actually i live in Côte d'Ivoire. My family emigrated from Lebanon a while back. Hoping to study in the UK next year though

ReputationRep:
    Actually i live in Côte d'Ivoire. My family emigrated from Lebanon a while back. Hoping to study in the UK next year though
    Oh okay... sorry for the assumption! Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay... sorry for the assumption! Good luck with your application
    No problem, and shokrannn

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.