Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody!

I wanted to ask you guys for some advice, I want to get into King's College (or UCL) and I'm lost as to what those universities expect from me, how can I make my application stand out?´
    I mean, do I really stand a chance against UK students? :confused:

(I'm studying in the best University in Latin-America, so I guess that's a good start...right?)

Thank you! Every bit of help is appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you stand every chance if your application and academic record is good. British universities take a lot of overseas students (not least because they get more money from them than from home students).

Three tips I would give you off the top of my head are:

1. Make sure your application is written in good English. I don't know how good your English is (the post you've written is perfect by the way!) but if you have any doubts get somebody you know who does to check it over. If your statement isn't in good English this will put doubts into the admissions tutors heads about your ability to do well on the course even if your marks are excellent at home.

2. Use your statement to make clear how the particular course you are applying for matches your interests/ undergraduate experience/ career plans. Don't make it sound like you would be happy on any old course provided you could study in the UK.

3. Try and get your referees to say whereabouts you rank in their classes. If they say that you are the best in your class/ in the top third or whatever this tells them something that raw grades might not (obviously don't do this if you are in the bottom third!). If your referees don't you can still mention this in your statement.

There is plenty of good stuff on personal statements on the web. Make sure you search specifically for postgraduate statements because they are different (there is masses of stuff on our undergraduate UCAS system but that works a bit differently).

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thank you so much! Any advice regarding experience? like volunteering work, job expiriences...etc...etc?? Do they take that into account? Universities in the UK are so unclear whent it comes to the admission process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chile101)
    Hey,

Thank you so much! Any advice regarding experience? like volunteering work, job expiriences...etc...etc?? Do they take that into account? Universities in the UK are so unclear whent it comes to the admission process
    Yes, they do take that type of thing into account but it should be relevant to what you are studying. If it isn't obvious why it is relevant try and explain why it is in your statement.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!!! =D

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.