Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Guys what would you say makes a woman damaged goods??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ive seen a few people on here saying they wont date someone with serious mental health issues, but then they exclude those with anxiety and depression. strange. is depression not serious enough?
    personally i would consider myself damaged goods, purely because i am too immersed in my own suffering and pain to pay much attention to anyone else, let alone love them.

ReputationRep:
    major slut, previous kids, stds (obviously), generally bat**** insane, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    ive seen a few people on here saying they wont date someone with serious mental health issues, but then they exclude those with anxiety and depression. strange. is depression not serious enough?
    personally i would consider myself damaged goods, purely because i am too immersed in my own suffering and pain to pay much attention to anyone else, let alone love them.
    Depression and anxiety often doesn't get to the point that it's interfering too much with people's relationships. There is a spectrum of course, but most people who get clinically diagnosed don't have 'severe' depression. Depression and anxiety are definitely seen to be not as bad as stuff like multiple personality disorder or schizophrenia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tupper_ware)
    Depression and anxiety often doesn't get to the point that it's interfering too much with people's relationships. There is a spectrum of course, but most people who get clinically diagnosed don't have 'severe' depression. Depression and anxiety are definitely seen to be not as bad as stuff like multiple personality disorder or schizophrenia.
    i would seriously doubt that. is there any proof of what youre saying? who is to say that neurotic disorders are more severe than psychotic disorders? some people have episodes of schizophrenia occasionally but can otherwise lead normal lives.

ReputationRep:
    i would seriously doubt that. is there any proof of what youre saying? who is to say that neurotic disorders are more severe than psychotic disorders? some people have episodes of schizophrenia occasionally but can otherwise lead normal lives.
    I said often not always. As someone who previously had years of anxiety and depression I can confirm I was still more than able to keep relationships maintained with my friends and partner. Like I said it's a spectrum for all mental disorders. More mild cases are not going to affect your life as much as someone who has a severe mental disorder and wants to kill themselves every 5 minutes. And as I said, people perceive depression and anxiety to be lesser forms of mental illness, sometimes rightly sometimes wrongly.

ReputationRep:
    I said often not always. As someone who previously had years of anxiety and depression I can confirm I was still more than able to keep relationships maintained with my friends and partner. Like I said it's a spectrum for all mental disorders. More mild cases are not going to affect your life as much as someone who has a severe mental disorder and wants to kill themselves every 5 minutes. And as I said, people perceive depression and anxiety to be lesser forms of mental illness, sometimes rightly sometimes wrongly.
    every person's experience varies, and it sounds like youre talking more about your own personal experience than any established medical facts. depression can lead to suicidal thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    every person's experience varies, and it sounds like youre talking more about your own personal experience than any established medical facts. depression can lead to suicidal thoughts.
    Err, I know that like the back of my hand lol.
    Sounds like you're just trying to start an argument, I only gave an answer for why people have said they'd date someone with anxiety or depression but not other mental illnesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    Sorry I forgot this is the student room where everyone is pedantic A holes
    It's not really pedantic... Pedantic would be dismissing you for calling Great Britain a country. What you said was more like calling Europe a country.

ReputationRep:
    'serious' means severe depression, bipolar due to psychosis, schizophrenia, suicidal state/self-harming, personality disorders etc.

when people think mild depression they think it's mostly people who are insecure and need a lot more 'feel good' than most of us, it's an inaccurate stereotype but a far more benevolent one than those for the severe end of the spectrum...

bolded: that's benevolent of you, to work on yourself before getting into an reship

ReputationRep:
    An idea but I can again assure you they can, untreated and/or unmanaged. Check out Riku's 'Superman' story; this is the report of someone with mild depression and moderate-severe anxiety issues with social anxiety and obsessional tendencies.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe someone should start a mental health thread if you want to discuss stuff like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    I hate to say it but as soon as a man says anything justifying this phrase, he will be called out as a misogynist-note the difference in reps. Men will protect those who say such things.

whereas a woman can quite openly say things like she would consider a guy with mild depression damaged goods. Men will not

yet again Smash whines on the double standards; guys, how can we fix this? Feminism is clearly not going to help us.

I think we should all be given a chance, but this is not society's intention
    What monster of a woman would say that? :lolwut: Never heard that before in my life

Some of the replies I've seen here from men are beyond ridiculous, this is nothing to do with feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    It's not really pedantic... Pedantic would be dismissing you for calling Great Britain a country. What you said was more like calling Europe a country.
    F off cretin

ReputationRep:
    Maybe someone should start a mental health thread if you want to discuss stuff like this.
    I'm making a thread because there is a link between toxic masculinity and mental health stigma you know!

(Original post by Another)
    What monster of a woman would say that? :lolwut: Never heard that before in my life

Some of the replies I've seen here from men are beyond ridiculous, this is nothing to do with feminism.
    agreed, so I'm discarding the stupid sexist responses, but I'm making a thread comparing the two

someone did imply it, on the other thread; the exact expression was 'mental issues' which is even worse imo. I've stopped seeing some friends for calling people mental so much; bit extreme but eh

ReputationRep:
    'serious' means severe depression, bipolar due to psychosis, schizophrenia, suicidal state/self-harming, personality disorders etc.

when people think mild depression they think it's mostly people who are insecure and need a lot more 'feel good' than most of us, it's an inaccurate stereotype but a far more benevolent one than those for the severe end of the spectrum...

bolded: that's benevolent of you, to work on yourself before getting into an reship
    Yes I know what severe depression is thank you.

How is it benevolent of me?

ReputationRep:
    An idea but I can again assure you they can, untreated and/or unmanaged. Check out Riku's 'Superman' story; this is the report of someone with mild depression and moderate-severe anxiety issues with social anxiety and obsessional tendencies.
    Stop it, youre embarrassing yourself.

ReputationRep:
    someone did imply it, on the other thread; the exact expression was 'mental issues' which is even worse imo. I've stopped seeing some friends for calling people mental so much; bit extreme but eh
    Well, in which case, you are perfectly justified in cutting out such people from your life. I'll probably do the same with men who constantly complain that western/british girls are either sluts, or catty hyperemotional attention seeking *****es. Which is probably, 90% of the people I know.

ReputationRep:
    Err, I know that like the back of my hand lol.
    Sounds like you're just trying to start an argument, I only gave an answer for why people have said they'd date someone with anxiety or depression but not other mental illnesses.
    I dont want to start an argument. Theres no reason things cant be discussed without arguing. I just think peoples perceptions of anxiety and depression as not that serious are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    Well, in which case, you are perfectly justified in cutting out such people from your life. I'll probably do the same with men who constantly complain that western/british girls are either sluts, or catty hyperemotional attention seeking *****es. Which is probably, 90% of the people I know.
    I've sacked off the thread, because the first page or so was full of girls saying 'mental issues', then in fairness to many women, the next 2 pages had a lot of them challenge stigma

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know what severe depression is thank you.

How is it benevolent of me?
    I know you do but most people have different understandings

you accept that you might not be 'ready' for someone and therefore work on managing your feelings and condition so that you will be able to give as much as you receive from your future partner. This is noble and benevolent.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.