The Student Room Group

Letter to her, a goodbye in a way.

Any suggestions or feedback?

Dear x,

I hope this letter finds you well; as this is the first time I’ve ever done something like this and probably the last. So please bear with me, whilst I try to be as honest as I can. Please don’t freak, I’d really appreciate if you could read this alone and take it all in.

When we first met, we both had chemistry and even on our date I think we can both agree that it was quite something special. Even our hands are a perfect fit. I know you loved it, and still to this day I knew everything happened for a reason. I just wished the reason would hurry up and make itself known, if it ever will.

Sometimes people come into your life and you know right away that they are meant to be there, to serve some sort of purpose, teach you a lesson, or to help you figure out whom you are or who you want to become. Your mother has done a fantastic job in bringing you up, and I am honestly proud to say I met an intelligent and very talented young girl with so much going for her.

I can fully understand what it is like being away from everything in a city all by yourself, I can tell you’re emotionally shattered and this is why I tried my best to comfort you on the airport trips, and why I wanted to help you with your room just so you can focus on what’s most important and that’s your degree.

I made a huge mistake of being too hasty, and your “flatmates/best friend” quite rightly protected you. I have no hard feelings against any of them and I only wish I took things slower with you, so they realised I was right for you. You know me better than any of them, and you know deep down that I’d never hurt you or push you to do anything you didn’t want to do.

I am sure you spoke positively to Katelyn about me, as I did note she liked our post that we were at Heathrow. You obviously have feelings for me but there’s an underlying issue, it’s like you’re torn between your own thoughts and something else. If you was to go with your heart I don’t think you’d regret it, I don’t think they’d ever need to say. “I told you so” either because it would never have come to it.

I promised you I’d always be there for you, and you have Paddington to remind you that wherever you go in life you’ll always have me by your side. If you look up at the sky, I’ll always be looking down on you in spirit. Unfortunately though with a heavy heart that it’s best I leave you alone now, to find your own feet and realise that life is just way too short.

If saying goodbye forever is not what you want, text or call me.

Your’s faithfully,

xx
made me sad :sad:

:console:
I wouldn't send her the letter, yes it's sweet but somethings are best left unsaid, if you need to use the ''Dear You'' thread on here and post it, it definitely helps with getting closure. I'm not sure what happened between you two and it's none of my business but I'm sure she knows deep down that you will be there for her. I say give her some space to find her feet as well as a chance to miss you and you never know she might come back, if not you could message her in a couple of months time once everything has settled and ask her how uni is. I wouldn't hold your hopes in getting a reply because depending on what happened she may or may not be feeling like she wants to be your friend or anything more than.
Reply 3
"Even our hands are a perfect fit."

I snorted my coffee..

Take it from someone who's written a letter and got no reply, let alone feedback.I would write it and burn it as a form of therapy in the new year which is a tradition of goodbyes of relations or regret of the year, I hope that you are able to move on from this person, as it would seem they have. But don't see this reply I have written as a negative but as someone who wrote a many a page to express myself in a similar manner and nothing happened, and I was hurt and regretful for writing. Move on my friend, and know that you will get on with life, in the eve of a new year and start.
Reply 5
Don't send this, seriously. Preserve some self respect instead.
Original post by shawn_o1
ConcordeBA

You can't hide

Seconded but honestly don't give it to her. Just fade away quietly. If she wants you she'll come looking...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Any suggestions or feedback?

Dear x,

Your’s faithfully,

xx

I have seen a lot of these instances in the past where people feel some kind of need to send a long message to someone they've lost. I'm sorry to say it bluntly but it never achieves anything good. Whatever closure you hope to gain you probably have got all that you can by writing this and posting it online. You don't have to send it but from my experience most do anyway. It will not do what you think it will do. If you want some advice on what to do now, that is what we can offer online but if you want me to tell you how you can improve the letter itself then I'm afraid that would be a waste of time.
I think your letter makes a lot of assumptions about what she thought, why she did things and her reasons for that. It's actually quite self indulgent. I can see how justifying her actions will help you feel that she cares, but perhaps keep those reasons to yourself. You may not be wholly correct and I personally would get quite wound up by someone telling me how I feel.

Life is not a romantic comedy, people drift apart. You've got to accept that sometimes, the sooner you draw a line under it, the sooner you can start to fix yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Narcissist
I think your letter makes a lot of assumptions about what she thought, why she did things and her reasons for that. It's actually quite self indulgent. I can see how justifying her actions will help you feel that she cares, but perhaps keep those reasons to yourself. You may not be wholly correct and I personally would get quite wound up by someone telling me how I feel.

Life is not a romantic comedy, people drift apart. You've got to accept that sometimes, the sooner you draw a line under it, the sooner you can start to fix yourself.

Harsh but accurate..
Cringe. Sounds like something out of a Hollywood romance, it's sweet and seems nice but this stuff doesn't work in real life.
Only send it if:

1) you truly have no expectation of a reply (and won’t be hurt if you don’t get one)

2) you’re not trying to “convince” them to meet up, get back together, love you etc.

3) you don’t have an expectation of miraculous “closure” by sending it (it doesn’t always work that way. In fact it seldom does…)

4) you can come across in a non-heavy, accusatory way. Start light and work up to the big dialogue!

5) as tough as it is to do you actually forgive them. (I know, many of you will think “I’ll never forgive my ex Thea”. That’s your folly though…forgiveness is FREEDOM, for yourself, not for them.)
Don't think you could be more corny or cliché if you tried...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending