Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I hope you've had a brilliant Christmas

Having spent the first week of the holiday finishing up with my work contract, I've now got this week to get back into school work… Oh the joys.

Now, for English Language, I've just finished my first piece. Thankfully, the teacher has given the initial draft an A grade. I wrote an extract from an opening chapter of a crime/emotional thriller novel focused on the narrative of a missing child. I absolutely loved writing it, as I'm very enthusiastic about gritty, hard-hitting storytelling.

Taking this into account, for my second piece, I again want to write a fictional drama piece. However, here's my problem. The two coursework pieces have to be very different in both content, audience and purpose. This disparity has to be well-represented within both the lexical and grammatical choices throughout each piece.

Do any of you have any ideas surrounding a possible second piece I could write? Something that can act on my strengths of high emotion, dramatic writing? I'm not asking for plot lines or anything, more just an indication as to what genre of writing I could experiment within. Something different to a short story/chapter, but something that essentially focuses on the main conventions of these genres. I'm finding this really difficult, and so if anyone could help me out, I'd be very thankful. I'm desperate for an overall A on my Englisih AS coursework, as I'm awful at the exam.

Have a great New Year

ReputationRep:
    Bump.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EddyEagal)

Having spent the first week of the holiday finishing up with my work contract, I've now got this week to get back into school work… Oh the joys.

Now, for English Language, I've just finished my first piece. Thankfully, the teacher has given the initial draft an A grade. I wrote an extract from an opening chapter of a crime/emotional thriller novel focused on the narrative of a missing child. I absolutely loved writing it, as I'm very enthusiastic about gritty, hard-hitting storytelling.

Taking this into account, for my second piece, I again want to write a fictional drama piece. However, here's my problem. The two coursework pieces have to be very different in both content, audience and purpose. This disparity has to be well-represented within both the lexical and grammatical choices throughout each piece.

Do any of you have any ideas surrounding a possible second piece I could write? Something that can act on my strengths of high emotion, dramatic writing? I'm not asking for plot lines or anything, more just an indication as to what genre of writing I could experiment within. Something different to a short story/chapter, but something that essentially focuses on the main conventions of these genres. I'm finding this really difficult, and so if anyone could help me out, I'd be very thankful. I'm desperate for an overall A on my Englisih AS coursework, as I'm awful at the exam.

Have a great New Year
    So you're already used
    Genre: Short story
    Audience: Adults, interest in crime (you will have a more detailed audience evident from your writing style but I don't know the detail of it)
    Purpose: To entertain

Effectively, you can't write another story. Your purpose is going to be your main problem here, the ones you have left are:
    - To inform
    - To persuade
    - To advise

Here are some examples from the AQA website of what you can do for these:
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Writing to persuade:
      • an editorial
      • a letter to a head of centre about uniform issues
      • a speech delivered as a football captain

• Writing to inform:
      • a piece of travel journalism
      • a leaflet focusing on a health issues
      • an extract from a motorbike maintenance manual

• Writing to advise / instruct:
      • a leaflet focusing on 'How to choose a University'
      • a guide to texting for novices
      • an article advising on 'How to survive a music festival'

One good one that can be dramatic is travel writing, although you'd need to make sure you have a distinct different audience than your first one.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EddyEagal)

Have a great New Year
    You could write an editorial, I guess because you're aloud to rant on these you can be very dramatic and use hyperboles, you could maybe even write an editorial on a crime/emotional thriller film or novel that you love or hate?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.