Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    im just applying for my Nhs bursary, does anyone know how accurate the Nhs calculator is please.
    thanks in advance
    julie.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Julie,

If you're talking about the estimator tool they have on their website, I think it is pretty accurate, although obviously it's not as in-depth as the full application is.

Best of luck
    Joel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    Hi Julie,

If you're talking about the estimator tool they have on their website, I think it is pretty accurate, although obviously it's not as in-depth as the full application is.

Best of luck
    Joel
    Hi Joel,
    Thank you for your help......if the estimation is right I will only need to work a couple of hours per week to support my daughter.
    Thanks again
    Julie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judah)
    Hi Joel,
    Thank you for your help......if the estimation is right I will only need to work a couple of hours per week to support my daughter.
    Thanks again
    Julie.
    My pleasure. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask

ReputationRep:
    My pleasure. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask
    Thank you.😀

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm a second year student nurse and would say that it is fairly accurate, in regards to calculating an estimate.
    Also, if you have a child you can apply for childcare support, if appropriate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophi12)
    Hi
    I'm a second year student nurse and would say that it is fairly accurate, in regards to calculating an estimate.
    Also, if you have a child you can apply for childcare support, if appropriate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi....Thank you, I'm a very mature student (41) with a mortgage and a teenage daughter, so I really need to ensure that I can afford to accept my offer. Is it possible to work a few hours per week, as I have just been offered a bank role in the nhs?
    Thank you
    julie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judah)
    Hi....Thank you, I'm a very mature student (41) with a mortgage and a teenage daughter, so I really need to ensure that I can afford to accept my offer. Is it possible to work a few hours per week, as I have just been offered a bank role in the nhs?
    Thank you
    julie.
    Hiya
    My course is mainly mature students with children, with many of them working a few hours each week to help their family financially. It is definitely possible provided you manage your time effectively and still keep on top of their uni work.
    Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya
    My course is mainly mature students with children, with many of them working a few hours each week to help their family financially. It is definitely possible provided you manage your time effectively and still keep on top of their uni work.
    Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for all you help, I really do appreciate it xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ditto Sophi12 above.

Many of the students on my course have children and a mortgage.

Having bank/part time work while studying is not endorsed by universities and most probably won't/can't give you a reference but the fact is plenty of people need a job in order to survive financially.

In my personal opinion, so long as your bank job does not interfere with your ability to work a 24/7 shift pattern as required on placement; i.e. you aren't declining lots of shifts due to your bank role, and that your extra work does not make you so tired that it affects the quality of care you provide or your learning in any way, then it's absolutely fine.

Sometimes bank roles can give you extra experience in different clinical areas that placements don't, can help you keep up your clinical skills during blocks of theory, and if certain areas work in like you, they might offer you a job when you qualify!

ReputationRep:
    Ditto Sophi12 above.

Many of the students on my course have children and a mortgage.

Having bank/part time work while studying is not endorsed by universities and most probably won't/can't give you a reference but the fact is plenty of people need a job in order to survive financially.

In my personal opinion, so long as your bank job does not interfere with your ability to work a 24/7 shift pattern as required on placement; i.e. you aren't declining lots of shifts due to your bank role, and that your extra work does not make you so tired that it affects the quality of care you provide or your learning in any way, then it's absolutely fine.

Sometimes bank roles can give you extra experience in different clinical areas that placements don't, can help you keep up your clinical skills during blocks of theory, and if certain areas work in like you, they might offer you a job when you qualify!
    Thank you ������
    My priority will be my post grad, and I will just pick up shifts to fit around the needs of the course. I would imagine that fitting in banking hours will become more difficult, if not impossible during placements!
    Im hoping to work full time between now and September to have a small buffer!
    The estimate for my nhs bursary is quite good, and I'm not sure if I will be entitled to help from student finance also (every little helps)
    thank you for all your time and help ������

ReputationRep:
    I know undergraduates get help from student finance but i'm not sure about postgraduates :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know undergraduates get help from student finance but i'm not sure about postgraduates :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    there seems to be conflicting information. I was told as long as the course is pre registration, and attracts a bursary from the nhs then I qualify for a smaller maintenance loan.
    I phoned student finance and the first person that I spoke to said no, then the second person said it did!
    Not sure, I will probably just apply and see what happens x

ReputationRep:
    Is it your first NHS degree?
    As undergraduates, we get £2354 a year from student finance so you should get that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it your first NHS degree?
    As undergraduates, we get £2354 a year from student finance so you should get that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, even though it's a masters, it's a pre registration course, and my first funded nhs course.
    Hopefully I will qualify, that will make studying easier 😀

ReputationRep:
    Ah right okay
    You should get something even if its not a lot. Perhaps use the online calculator to see roughly what it might be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, in my experience student finance never truly know what nursing students are entitled to :/ The best thing you can do, Julie, is apply for absolutely everything going, just in case. You may even end up being surprised and be entitled to something you didn't know you were, and get more than expected!

ReputationRep:
    Ah right okay
    You should get something even if its not a lot. Perhaps use the online calculator to see roughly what it might be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    great...thank you 😀xxx

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, in my experience student finance never truly know what nursing students are entitled to :/ The best thing you can do, Julie, is apply for absolutely everything going, just in case. You may even end up being surprised and be entitled to something you didn't know you were, and get more than expected!
    Yes I get the feeling that when it comes to student finance, the reply depends upon who answers the phone and their understanding!
    I will be taking your kind advice and I will be applying for everything! Hopefully then I will have enough to manage on without working too many hours.
    Thanks again,
    Julie.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.