Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Tell me a time when you faced your greatest challenge, how did you deal with it?

I was asked this at interview and didn't know how to answer.

I would be grateful if someone could give an example so i know what they were looking for. Thank you for your help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's not the challenge itself, it's the effort, determination or sacrifice behind it.

When did something seem so horrendously difficult or unachievable but yet somehow you managed to get there in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_paice)
    Tell me a time when you faced your greatest challenge, how did you deal with it?

I was asked this at interview and didn't know how to answer.

I would be grateful if someone could give an example so i know what they were looking for. Thank you for your help.
    It's a horrible question. Most of my greatest challenges have been highly personal in nature, and/or I'm still undergoing them. The answer which springs to mind I might give in interview is:

"The Maths tripos at Cambridge is notoriously difficult, and has been the most intellectually demanding task I've ever been set. It has taken me two years to create a strategy to deal with it. I started by muddling through, doing work whenever I felt like it; as the panic mounted before exams, that served me well for the first year. Recognising that this approach does not generalise, in the second year I started using other people for help: making them into sources of motivation, asking them to make sure I was working, and so forth. This marks a key lesson I have learnt about challenges: everything is much easier if you ask experts to help you, and everything is a little easier if you recruit many non-experts to help."

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.