Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Tell me a time when you faced your greatest challenge, how did you deal with it?

I was asked this at interview and didn't know how to answer.

I would be grateful if someone could give an example so i know what they were looking for. Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    This is a classic behavioural interviewing question used widely. Examples executed by interviewer can be from any area of your life anything from dealing with a death in the family to dealing with an emergency situation on a gap year to a project. The important part is not your example but what you gained from it, how you dealt with it etc. It can give very useful information to the interviewer about eg analytical skills and emotional resilience....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_paice)
    Tell me a time when you faced your greatest challenge, how did you deal with it?

I was asked this at interview and didn't know how to answer.

I would be grateful if someone could give an example so i know what they were looking for. Thank you for your help.
    I think with any really difficult competency question, the first thing to do is to ask yourself: Why is this firm/interviewer asking me this? What are they trying to find out about me?

I personally found that framing questions like this made it easier to come up with strong, relevant answers.

With the 'greatest challenge' question, I think the firm wants to know that you are a resilient person who can overcome unexpected challenges that are placed before you and simply needs an example of this.

For me: I was placed into the Editor-in-Chief position of my University's legal magazine when it was going through crisis mode (2 months to deadline with virtually nothing completed; EiC is usually given 6-7 months and significantly over-budget). I was determined to get it out on time and to the highest possible standard. So I took a goal-oriented approach: created a schedule working backwards from the deadline, negotiated costs of print/delivery down and when unable to find a graphic designer able to offer a quote within my budget, designed the 80-page magazine from scratch with no prior design experience within 2 weeks whilst revising for final exams. Final product was praised by law firms as the best student publication they had seen, received a university award nomination for best publication and resulted in a 240% increase in sponsorship.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.