Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:

• I'm starting my GCSEs next year and have to choose which to take soon. I probably have three options apart from the manetory ones - English lit, English lang, Maths, RE, Double sience - and I'm not sure what to take. I definately want to take sociology, but I don't know which to choose out of:

French
      Some form of technology GCSE
      History
      Geography
      Triple science

Which do you recomend?

ReputationRep:
    Well you have to take a language, so pick french. Double science is much easier if science isn't your thing. Personally I'd take History over Geography, and from what I remember at my school it was far more popular than Geography too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21466)
    • I'm starting my GCSEs next year and have to choose which to take soon. I probably have three options apart from the manetory ones - English lit, English lang, Maths, RE, Double sience - and I'm not sure what to take. I definately want to take sociology, but I don't know which to choose out of:

French
      History
      Geography
      Triple science

Which do you recomend?
    In my opinion, I would focus mainly on what you enjoy.

As long as the subjects you choose have relative weight (so don't take say, art, drama, graphics and food tech for obvious reasons - although taking one or perhaps two of them subjects would be fine, if you enjoy it) then you'll be fine.

I made the stupid mistake of focusing on what I thought would look good but in reality it seems no one cares what GCSE options you take. As long as you take a language and ideally a humanities subject, you're fine

ReputationRep:
    As above a language is always useful, as is history or geography (although I'd be biased towards the history side:P ). I also took triple science which is very interesting and certainly worth taking if you're planning to pick science A-Levels, but not everyone - including me - will do. I was also forced to take food technology. It's actually probably my most 'relaxed' GCSE, and has given me a few skills practically useful for the future, but I can find the coursework a little repetitive. Of course this varies from technology subject to technology subject.

Above all, pick what you most enjoy. I hate how some subjects (like drama, food tech, etc - both of which I picked) are shunned for being 'soft'. Right now, depending on your choice of sixth form, it is actually quite hard to close doors. For example you can do science A-Levels only with Double Science GCSE, and this year I picked History A-Level having not done GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to do after school and what you enjoy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by 21466)

French
      History
      Geography
      Triple science

Which do you recomend?
    Do what you enjoy/are good at. I'd recommend taking French, useful to have a language, my school make it compulsory, along with making humanities compulsory. Since you'd like to take sociology, history would go well with that But ultimately choose what you want!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the replies! I'm probably going to take French, even though I don't like it that much, and I think I might take History as well because it's intresting. Though I would like to take product design .

ReputationRep:
    Take subjects you enjoy and are good at.. also, if u know u want to study a certain subject in college/sixth form, I recommend u choose it. I want to take Geo in Sixth Form but my Sixth Form requires me to have taken it for GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theshortone786)
    Take subjects you enjoy and are good at.. also, if u know u want to study a certain subject in college/sixth form, I recommend u choose it. I want to take Geo in Sixth Form but my Sixth Form requires me to have taken it for GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They should recognise that very few schools teach geology at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2definitely)

French
      History
      Geography
      Triple science

Which do you recomend?
    I would definitely choose History. Not that Geography is bad, but here in Scotland we have the option of Modern Studies and I took both of them. If you are better at Essay based subjects especially English, pick History, it is awesome trust me. And if you are better at Science pick Geography. There wasn't a lot of people who picked it at my school and it was mostly boys who did. There were maybe 4 or 5 girls who picked it and only 1 class ran as opposed to 4 history classes. I don't know about your school but at ours only 1 science was mandatory. Quite a lot of people chose 2 sciences but you couldn't pick 3 because it didn't fit the schedule. I chose 1, Biology. It doesn't really require many concepts but it requires the most amount of memorization, more than chem and physics imo, but they are much more math based sciences. Biology has some but very little, its more of an English based Science, big long words. As for a language I picked French. We were given the choice of that or Spanish. Spanish is easier for a lot of people, the pronunciation seems to be easier and the words are far more phonetic, but I have always preferred French, it is a beautiful language and imo it sounds more impressive than spanish. Don't get me wrong, spanish is beautiful too and it is by no means easy it just may be easier as it is more relatable to English. I can't say I found it easy/difficult because I can't honestly remember much of it lol. And I would definitely pick an Arts subject, it is usually mandatory. I chose Drama and Art. Drama is really good if you are at least decent at English and it is fun but a lot of hard work is needed. Art, again needs a lot of hard work but it is great if you are naturally gifted at art. I don't know too much about music but in S3/Year 9 it will involve a bit more composing and as all subjects do, they get harder. I am personally happy with all my choices and hey even if you don't in the end, you can drop (2 usually) at the end of the year. And if you feel you have made a mistake and want to change when it has already started, that is fine you have about 2 weeks or so I think to change. My friend did that, she wanted to change from French to Spanish but because of that she also had to switch from History to Geography. Or I know another girl who wanted to change to P.E. instead of Hospitality so she had to move Drama classes, but she still got to stay in Drama. Anyway I hope I helped and I hope you don't fret too much! Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    Geography LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.