Along with national service aswell.
    make men into men again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    Should we bring it back?
    For me its a no brainer that we should bring it back
    make men into men again.
    Yes have you heard Jack Whitehall; he is the biggest non-out puff about. Best hit them while you can and actually do them good before they turn into complete ar*e holes.

ReputationRep:
    **** that

ReputationRep:
    Should we bring it back?
    make men into men again.
    gg

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not for children, just convicted violent criminals.
    If you have glassesd somebody or put somebody in a HDU by stamping on their head, once a week through your sentence you should be taken to a punishment room and have pain inflicted on you. How? That could be decided.
    Habitual criminals do porridge standing on their heads.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it is impossible to bring biblical characters back to life given they didn't really exist in the first place (OP you spelt cane wrong).

ReputationRep:
    I think that teachers should be recruited directly from the Armed forces. No child is going to mess around an ex Royal Marine or para. i am pretty sure you would see a change in the classroom over night.

The guardianistanis despise the armed forces though so we all know what their response will be to this suggestion !!

ReputationRep:
    if we brought back national service muslim immigration would cease over night !!

ReputationRep:
    For someone who had to endure corporal punishment at school, I really don't see the point of it. Creates a climate of fear, not learning.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    No, harsh but fair teaching is necessary. None of this 'learn through love' BS the liberals are trying to push, but definitely not allowing sadistic schoolteachers to wallop a kid on their ass whenever they want. All of the older generations seem to have developed Stockholm syndrome when reminiscing on the times they got beaten raw by a stick, and whilst that method works to an extent, it is not the best way.

ReputationRep:
    Should we bring it back?
    make men into men again.
    I really hope you don't have any children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    For someone who had to endure corporal punishment at school, I really don't see the point of it. Creates a climate of fear, not learning.
    Fear = obedience; obedience = learning.

Btw i don't believe you ever received corporal punishment at school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    You can still learn in a climate of fear just like Armed Forces personnel do.

ReputationRep:
    Should we bring it back?
    make men into men again.

For a minute then I actually thought we had real men running around Britain hence why we've been able to reproduce.

God bless you for clearing that up for us.

Seriously though; why on Earth is it a 'no brainer' and I'm guessing all this is from your own personal experience of being CANEd at school, completing national servi..... oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Native Briton-)

Fear does not equal obedience, and fear stifles learning as students can be too scared to do things like ask questions, or experiment. Also people who experience a great deal of fear tend to lash out, which again is the exact opposite of what you want in a school.

(Original post by Occams‏ Chainsaw)
    A) Armed forces are trained to operate when scared and B) they're not in a climate of fear when they're training (Pressure would be more accurate).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What a terrible idea. There are lots of teachers I just wouldn't trust with the right to use a cane. Not only that, but being wrongly accused of something during school (which does happen) would be much worse than it is now.

National service is also a terrible idea. It's a personal freedom issue, no one should be forced into the military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Fear does not equal obedience, and fear stifles learning as students can be too scared to do things like ask questions, or experiment. Also people who experience a great deal of fear tend to lash out, which again is the exact opposite of what you want in a school.

A) Armed forces are trained to operate when scared and B) they're not in a climate of fear when they're training (Pressure would be more accurate).
    I do not agree with you based on Britains previous schooling record when corporal punishment was used.

All you have spouted is blaa blaa liberalism blaa blaa liberalism

ReputationRep:
    I do not agree with you based on Britains previous schooling record when corporal punishment was used.

All you have spouted is blaa blaa liberalism blaa blaa liberalism
    Literal 2 second google search

One argument made against corporal punishments is that some research has shown it to be not as effective as positive means for managing student behaviour. These studies have linked corporal punishment to adverse physical, psychological and educational outcomes including, "increased aggressive and destructive behaviour, increased disruptive classroom behaviour, vandalism, poor school achievement, poor attention span, increased drop-out rate, school avoidance and school phobia, low self-esteem, anxiety, somatic complaints, depression, suicide and retaliation against teacher." source http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2057255

Medical, pediatric or psychological societies opposing school corporal punishment include: the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Society for Adolescent Medicine, the American Psychological Association, the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the Canadian Paediatric Society and the Australian Psychological Society. School corporal punishment is also opposed by the (U.S.) National Association of Secondary School Principals.

You beat a dog, it becomes aggressive. You beat a person, they become aggressive.

All you have spouted is blaa blaa conservatism blaa blaa conservatism.

ReputationRep:
    yes we should bring back cain velasquez

ReputationRep:

Fear can also equal mistrust, loathing and hated. Hardly a healthy learning environment. Having experienced the British education system I much preferred it, teachers bothered to build trust and respect to get you to behave and engage you in learning, not rely on threats of physical violence.

My country was phasing out corporal punishment, but we still lived in dreadful fear of the principal's cane and teachers didn't think twice taking a ruler to the hand. Believe me or not, it makes no difference on what I experienced.

(Original post by Occams‏ Chainsaw)
    Yes, but six years olds aren't infantrymen who volunteered for military service

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.