Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

I do not believe in universitWhat I mean? Its pretty simple - I believe that you do Watch

ReputationRep:
    What I mean?

Its pretty simple - I believe that you do not have to go to University to get a good paid job!

I'm aware that most of you on this forum will disagree with me - you believe that going to uni is the way forward: the way forward to land a good paid job etc. That's fine it's your opinion I'd just like to state mine:

I do not believe that paying £27,000 for university (excluding all other costs) to get a piece of paper, and a handshake at the end of 3 years is worth it. Most jobs that you look for do not require any qualifications - they require experience. You don't get experience in uni - you get knowledge which you have to pay for - you can learn that by yourself: the resources can be found in the library or on the Internet.

Now you look at the news and you read that almost 500,000 students this year alone were accepted into unis... How many of them picked worthless subjects (Mickey Mouse subjects) that won't get them anywhere in the future? How many of these students will struggle to find a job in the future with degress that they'll receive? How many postgraduates will compete for one job offer when there's 20 others with the same degree as them? The answer is.. Well a lot.

All I'm trying to say to you guys, is that think whether university is the way forward you know. Just think of pros and cons and don't hop on the bandwagon like everyone else - don't think that going university will land you a job as a CEO of a company, or you will instantly become a zillionaire: that's what they want you think: the universities - you pay them £27,000 in 3 years, multiply that by the number of students that are going to uni with you and you'll see that unis are business to make profit out of you.

About me: I am almost 18 years old - I ****ed up my A levels so I decided to quit college and look for a job: you may think I'm jealous that because I didn't have a chance to go to uni I should try and persuade others to do the same think as me. But now! Man I'm about to start my own business in direct marketing sector - I've done that without going to uni (you can believe me or not I don't care honestly ), so it is possible to be successful in life without getting into debt by the time you leave uni!

Peace to you guys!

ReputationRep:
    Wait hang on - you think it's possible to become a CEO of an already established company without a degree?

With all due respect, you should probably wait until at least 10 years before claiming whether university is worthwhile or not. Many of the career paths I wanted to follow, a degree was just a basic requirement.

ReputationRep:
    I go to uni because I love my subject and I NEED a degree for the job I want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innocentlemming)
    What I mean?

Its pretty simple - I believe that you do not have to go to University to get a good paid job!

I'm aware that most of you on this forum will disagree with me - you believe that going to uni is the way forward: the way forward to land a good paid job etc. That's fine it's your opinion I'd just like to state mine:

I do not believe that paying £27,000 for university (excluding all other costs) to get a piece of paper, and a handshake at the end of 3 years is worth it. Most jobs that you look for do not require any qualifications - they require experience. You don't get experience in uni - you get knowledge which you have to pay for - you can learn that by yourself: the resources can be found in the library or on the Internet.

Now you look at the news and you read that almost 500,000 students this year alone were accepted into unis... How many of them picked worthless subjects (Mickey Mouse subjects) that won't get them anywhere in the future? How many of these students will struggle to find a job in the future with degress that they'll receive? How many postgraduates will compete for one job offer when there's 20 others with the same degree as them? The answer is.. Well a lot.

All I'm trying to say to you guys, is that think whether university is the way forward you know. Just think of pros and cons and don't hop on the bandwagon like everyone else - don't think that going university will land you a job as a CEO of a company, or you will instantly become a zillionaire: that's what they want you think: the universities - you pay them £27,000 in 3 years, multiply that by the number of students that are going to uni with you and you'll see that unis are business to make profit out of you.

About me: I am almost 18 years old - I ****ed up my A levels so I decided to quit college and look for a job: you may think I'm jealous that because I didn't have a chance to go to uni I should try and persuade others to do the same think as me. But now! Man I'm about to start my own business in direct marketing sector - I've done that without going to uni (you can believe me or not I don't care honestly ), so it is possible to be successful in life without getting into debt by the time you leave uni!

Peace to you guys!
    Explain why you don't have a proper job then

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you to an extent but i guess it depends for example to study medicine, law, engineering or another competitive course going to uni is a must.

ReputationRep:
    What I mean?

Peace to you guys!
    Why not just pick a useful subject?

ReputationRep:
    Most jobs these days require you to have a degree to actually get into it. If you dont want a degree, have fun in the role of store manager at Holland and Barrets, as thats where you'll only get to with no degree. No well respected company will let lose someone without a degree in Business and Finance into the role of CEO as they wont have a clue what to do properly. At 18 you have no clue about what jobs need, if you want to do something you enjoy it will most likely need a degree, and you are wrong that you get no experience during a degree course, as most will get you to do work as if it were for real or if it has it embeded into it, you'll get work placements during them so you can develop your skills. If they dont have placements, some will even give you a 'year in industry' where you have paid work in a proper work environment and also you learn at the same time. so where in that do you get 'no experience at uni?'

However you are correct in that, most jobs require experience, but you need qualifications to get into a job first so you can get that said experience.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel OP, I don't believe in clouds
    Everybody calls me crazy but I KNOW clouds don't exist

ReputationRep:
    I think your point of view is more "think before taking a mickey mouse subject at university"

For subjects like Engineering, Law, Medicine, going to university is key. And for subjects like Maths, a Science, it opens so many doors.

In reality, going to university is important for most people. Instead of saying university is pointless, I think we should be educating people on how to choose the right course to study.

I personally will be studying Politics and International Relations (if I get the grades this year) and do think I will be in a much stronger position after graduating.

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start my own business in direct marketing sector
    Amway? Telesales from home? Selling encyclopaedias door-to-door?

ReputationRep:
    university is something which is beneficial for an aspiring engineer such as myself. I can see where you're coming from and you can make it without a degree but there are some jobs which require degrees and the knowledge which can only be obtained at university level. Some people have a passion for a subject and want to learn more because of their love of it an not necessarily how well paid the career is at the end of it. For others it is also a safer route to a steady income. While you can get places without a degree, the job market is so competitive and a degree will ensure you have the edge in many job interviews. Some people don't want to take risky business venture and just want a stable income to support themselves and family and getting a degree helps to achieve this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can gain the knowledge you get from a degree on your own reading arbitrary texts then you're:

A) An absolute genius and probably can.
    B) A fool who has either never studied at degree-level or used their time studying at degree level very poorly
    C) taking a ridiculous and far too easy degree-course.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies to all people that got slightly offended - yes I mean proper jobs of course require a degree (engineering, medicine etc.) I'm completely fine with that.

Secondly, please don't insult my business :/ I worked hard to get to where I am now and no I am not doing door-to-door sales as someone above mentioned - I do business 2 business (B2B)

Thirdly, hmm, I just think that getting into uni is slightly too easy (excluding the top unis in uk they're very hard to get to) - I mean such a massive wave of people going into uni, then graduating will struggle to find a job it's pretty obvious, say you have 1,000 people doing medicine course at uni, however after graduation there's only, I don't know, 50 job offers available - you have to stand out and shine above others lol.

I just do not agree with the view that university is the only way forward - we have our friends and families telling us "oh go to uni, get a degree and you'll find a job where you'll be paid loads of bucks": I personally believe that in order to be successful in the future you need to have the right attitude and experience in order to do so.

I believe that unis took the wrong turn somewhere, instead of teaching proper subjects such as medicine etc etc. They now only give a damn about quantity and not quality, by making subjects which are worthless, and the only purpose of them is to milk students out of their money.

I wanna have civilised discussion with you guys, without anyone insulting anybody I just want to hear your opinions and discuss different points of view that we might have!

ReputationRep:
    Also, apologies for the title being strange, i don't know what happened there

ReputationRep:
    there is more to life than money. as i walk past the enormous houses of wealthy people i shake my head and think "they have no books; they cannot spell properly; they suck".

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.