Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

English Int. GCSE: An exercise in futility Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or is it impossible to achieve a good grade in English? Literally the only subject I'm having trouble with.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justneedthedl)
    Is it just me or is it impossible to achieve a good grade in English? Literally the only subject I'm having trouble with.
    Definitely not impossible :nah: I got A* in both and full UMS in language..

What parts do you struggle with? Lit or lang?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Definitely not impossible :nah: I got A* in both and full UMS in language..

What parts do you struggle with? Lit or lang?
    Both. I don't understand what the examiners are looking for and how to dissect a passage. I wish they had taught us how to write an essay as I always have trouble with analytical questions in both lang and lit.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Both. I don't understand what the examiners are looking for and how to dissect a passage. I wish they had taught us how to write an essay as I always have trouble with analytical questions in both lang and lit.
    What exam board are you on? It might help if you have a look at the mark schemes and band descriptors

For analytical paragraphs, a good paragraph structure to use is PETER:
    P- Point: One sentence saying what the point you're trying to get across in this paragraph is (e.g The author x creates an air of tension in his poem y to make the reader feel suspicious about z character's intentions.)
    E- Evidence: A quote to back up your point (can be introduced with 'this is shown through the quote "x")
    T- Technique: State what literary technique/structural technique is being used in this quote ("x" which uses pathetic fallacy.)
    E- Explanation: Explain how this technique and quote support your point; explore the author's intentions, the plot of whatever you're looking at, context if it's Shakespearean for example, the general effects of it.
    R- Reader: Explain the effects of the quote/technique on the reader; how it makes them feel, how it changes their view of a character, whether they're empathetic etc.
    The last two parts should be the largest section of the paragraph and can be combined.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    What exam board are you on? It might help if you have a look at the mark schemes and band descriptors

For analytical paragraphs, a good paragraph structure to use is PETER:
    P- Point: One sentence saying what the point you're trying to get across in this paragraph is (e.g The author x creates an air of tension in his poem y to make the reader feel suspicious about z character's intentions.)
    E- Evidence: A quote to back up your point (can be introduced with 'this is shown through the quote "x")
    T- Technique: State what literary technique/structural technique is being used in this quote ("x" which uses pathetic fallacy.)
    E- Explanation: Explain how this technique and quote support your point; explore the author's intentions, the plot of whatever you're looking at, context if it's Shakespearean for example, the general effects of it.
    R- Reader: Explain the effects of the quote/technique on the reader; how it makes them feel, how it changes their view of a character, whether they're empathetic etc.
    The last two parts should be the largest section of the paragraph and can be combined.
    Hope this helps
    Thank you your PETER structure really helped, and it helped me understand how to answer more clearly, thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you your PETER structure really helped, and it helped me understand how to answer more clearly, thanks!
    Glad to have helped

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.