Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm doing a sandwich course (my 3rd year is a year of work and a 10,000 word research experiment/study - like a dissertation) in Applied Psychology. I'm doing well and am getting 1st's consistently on coursework and exams, and have work experience as a research assistant, which is ideal as I want to go into academia. My sandwich year will also provide work experience obviously.

However I go to a very low-ranking university as I only got 200 ucas points (my course is BPS approved though). This was because I was a victim of a very personal and violent crime during my time at college, and, at only 16 at the time, I kept it to myself and didnt get any help untill 2 years later, and my attendance went from 100% to below 30% very quickly and I ended up with only 2 a levels and one as level.

Unless I have about 280-300 ucas points I will be automatically filtered out of graduate schemes and job applications. Even if I am not, I dont want to explain why my points are so low, nor do I have any proof as I didnt file a police report. and if I did, I wouldn't let anybody see it.

As I have time.. Should I re-take my A levels?? Do new ones??

Looking on google and a few places say that employers dont want someone who took so long to get a levels, or will only take into account the scores you got first time round.

All applications I look at have a box for UCAS points?! How do I get around this?

How has anybody else got around their low points?

PLEASE HELP! thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What type of grad jobs are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    UCAS points do seem to be a sticking point for some Grad Schemes which automatically use them as a filter. The bottom line is that they have so many people applying with excellent degrees that your final result no longer gives them a short enough long-list.

The one I looked at was the KMPG scheme. I did find some (very) small print which said that they had the discretion to waive UCAS points requirement under exceptional circumstances. However they didn't go into any detail about what those circumstances might be or who you would contact to ask about them. I kind of read between the lines that this was a way of getting people in who were friends or relations of senior staff but didn't meet the requirements. Maybe that's just me being cynical.

Sorry it's not much help. However there are usually ways into this type of company below the Grad Scheme, so you may have to lower your expectations a little.

ReputationRep:
    I would retake them, when that raises your opportunity to get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAD95)
    Hi,

I'm doing a sandwich course (my 3rd year is a year of work and a 10,000 word research experiment/study - like a dissertation) in Applied Psychology. I'm doing well and am getting 1st's consistently on coursework and exams, and have work experience as a research assistant, which is ideal as I want to go into academia. My sandwich year will also provide work experience obviously.

However I go to a very low-ranking university as I only got 200 ucas points (my course is BPS approved though). This was because I was a victim of a very personal and violent crime during my time at college, and, at only 16 at the time, I kept it to myself and didnt get any help untill 2 years later, and my attendance went from 100% to below 30% very quickly and I ended up with only 2 a levels and one as level.

Unless I have about 280-300 ucas points I will be automatically filtered out of graduate schemes and job applications. Even if I am not, I dont want to explain why my points are so low, nor do I have any proof as I didnt file a police report. and if I did, I wouldn't let anybody see it.

As I have time.. Should I re-take my A levels?? Do new ones??

Looking on google and a few places say that employers dont want someone who took so long to get a levels, or will only take into account the scores you got first time round.

All applications I look at have a box for UCAS points?! How do I get around this?

How has anybody else got around their low points?

PLEASE HELP! thankyou x
    if you want to go into academia why are you worried about grad schemes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    if you want to go into academia why are you worried about grad schemes?
    Maybe to save up some money? Or to have an alternative if everything you get are unfunded PHD or Masters? Or you don't get any PHD offers at all? Or you have to apply after your PHD again to companies with A Level boundaries...

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.