AS:
    Maths: A
    History: B
    Biology: E

A2:
    Maths: C
    History: D
    Biology U

ive declined these grades and i plan to retake some in january and some in june.
    HOPEFULLY pushing them up to Maths A, History B, Biology B. i know i can do this if i put the effort in since my failure is fully down to having a misrable time at the school and just distancing myself from it as much as possible.

my problem is how can i get into uni? i want to do psychology at a top 40 university meaning i will need around ABB. i know i can get this but obvisouly the unis don't. i think because of this applying now wud be useless? is there anyway i can get to uni without being forced into a 2nd gap year? what are the chances of a place coming up in clearing?

thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    ring an admissions tutor at your prefered uni and ask them,

ReputationRep:
    Having CDU and the requirement of ABB is quite a substantial difference. I take it you're on a GAP year now and you want to get into university in 2007?

ReputationRep:
    could you really get CDU up to ABB? this is not retaking only one subject, but all three. this could be very wishful thinking.

ReputationRep:
    There'd be no harm in applying this year because even if you didn't get any offers, you won't have lost anything other than the £15 application fee. Are you applying through your school or as an individual? Presumably you wont have to put any grades on the form anyway if you've declined them, so all the unis would have to go on would be predictions if you apply through your school, GCSE grades, personal statement and reference. Psychology is very competitive, so your chances may not be great, but if you're honest about resitting and make your application as positive as you can, it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    hmm thanks. out of intrest are you able to go into clearing even if you did not originally apply?

and yes im on my gap year now and i would like to go to uni in 2007

and nope ABB is not wishfull thinking wait and see

ReputationRep:
    Phone them/email addmision tutor and sell yourself over the phone if you can ask if you can come meet them infoomal, that way theyll know you and theyll see how great you are.
    It least you got somthing from school (I dindt)

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the help guys. ill sort out my application and call/email the admission tutors and explain my situation. if not i guess ill hope something comes up in clearing once i have my grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notsoperfect)
    could you really get CDU up to ABB? this is not retaking only one subject, but all three. this could be very wishful thinking.
    I agree. A U to a B in Biology is tough work considering the person will need to retake all 6 units. Best advice is to actually go back to a sixth form college and resit the whole year, it would be more beneficial as you can spend a whole year on it.

ReputationRep:
    its not so much retaking as learning the whole thing again from scratch. CDU to AAB would mean retaking at least what 10-15 units, if you think you're up to self teeaching then go for it - I would advise you to go to a Sixth form College.

Good luck

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris180)
    hmm thanks. out of intrest are you able to go into clearing even if you did not originally apply?
    You need to apply to UCAS by 30th June to be considered for clearing. If you have not applied you can't go through clearing. The only way you would get a place would be by ringing the uni direct, but most of the 'top' unis probably wouldn't take you if you weren't going through UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Advice so far is good. It's worth making a few calls to find out how realistic your chances are - be ready with a convincing case of why school did not work out for you, perhaps quote last year's average A level grade or added value score (you'll find them on the dfes performance tables website). If you sound like a troublesome student who blames other people for their performance, it won't help your chances. If your school was so bad, how come you got AB at AS? Are there compelling personal reasons that it all went pear shaped?

If the feedback you get is so so, it's important to have some attainable choices. CDU to ABB, as others have said is a very tough call. realistically, I think top 30-40 will be stretch targets for you for psychology and even these have entry standards of >300 tariff points. You may be better off considering a less competitive subject.

Another option would to be work for a few years and apply as a mature student having taken a couple of access courses.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

I agree with peachmelba, I am resit student too but because of extenuanting circumstances (illness and a poor school). But I decided to retake AS yr to avoid further possible complication.

It's important you dont make it seem that you cannot take responsibility for your own grades, as the uni's will see you in a negative light otherwise.

However if you truly believe you can achieve this, then go for it only you know your capabilities. Not only academically but also coping with pressure.
    As someone above said if your re-taking 10-15 units, it might be a more pragmatic idea to take a whole year to do this.

Best of Luck in whatever you decide.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.