Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just a thought..if people are getting offers from uni's already when the ucas deadline is not officially til jan 15th then isnt it really unfair, and a sort of first come first serve approach that may mean some able people wont get offers cos someone maybe less able got there before them...get my drift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatYouGot)
    just a thought..if people are getting offers from uni's already when the ucas deadline is not officially til jan 15th then isnt it really unfair, and a sort of first come first serve approach that may mean some able people wont get offers cos someone maybe less able got there before them...get my drift?
    well, while i sympathise with you, I clearly believe that when an application is sent by the 15th of Oct. the other Uni's apart from Oxbridge shouldn't get the application.. or get it BUT not look at it, until 15th Jan, when all the applications have come in.

You also have to realise that this may be a quickening up process where by jan 15, the uni's will have soo many applications to deal with, so they might's aswell get some out of the way!

clearly a concern and valid point!

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking about this too but I don’t think this affects our chances because unis are interested to have best students they can get

ReputationRep:
    hmm i personally should have my ucas sent off in a few days but im doing an lnat exam in a month whereas some people have already done it and recieved offers due to it, but isnt it really bad that the unis are allocating there limited places without considering all the candiates first.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it depends on a course, I apply for engineering and estimated intakes are about 150 ppl for a course so they will give away about 700 offers and so it would be a big problem for them to give offers in a short period of time, I am sure they will leave one place for me

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it really makes a difference...I mean people who appliedto the same course as me at the same universities but sent their applications off december/januaryish (I sent mine by about October 10th) got some offers before me!! So it's unpredictable really

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that getting your application in early is an advantage because it shows some kind of enthusiasm... Also I think that the admission tutors pay a bit more attention/time, compared to the peak period where there is a huge influx of applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    I personally think that getting your application in early is an advantage because it shows some kind of enthusiasm... Also I think that the admission tutors pay a bit more attention/time, compared to the peak period where there is a huge influx of applications.
    Exactly, and apart from that I don't think it matters.
    Some unis even specify in their prospectus that they don't consider applicants until they recieve all applications and others say that they give early and late applicants the same consideration.
    So no need to worry, unis want good applicants more than you do so I am sure your concern crossed their mind at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Well the slower universities tend to be the top ones, eg Oxford, Cambridge, Durham etc, because they need to assess all their straight A applicants and compare them so they can choose the best. Universities which tend to get applicants with lower grades however are usually quicker to give offers to straight A students, and keep those with lower grades in view till all the applications have come in.
    That's my theory, anyway.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If they left it til the end, they'd have thousands of applications to look at and the UCAS process wouldn't be finished by Easter.

Unis know what they're doing, as they've done it before. So they'll know when most good applications come in, and give offers accordingly. But then they'll also save some til later.

But if you're so concerned about it, then there's one thing to do: send yours in ASAP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jl7)
    Well the slower universities tend to be the top ones, eg Oxford, Cambridge, Durham etc, because they need to assess all their straight A applicants and compare them so they can choose the best. Universities which tend to get applicants with lower grades however are usually quicker to give offers to straight A students, and keep those with lower grades in view till all the applications have come in.
    That's my theory, anyway.

Oxbridge aren't 'slow', they just interview applicants before giving offers. And as the interviews aren't till early-mid december it means they cant decide before then. Oxbridge give offers/rejections around the New Year. So 3 weeks is pretty good for the extra stuff they do to assess applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatYouGot)
    Surely it's your own fault for putting yourself in that situation? Everyone has the choice to send off their application earlier, so it's not in the slightest bit unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup_dragon87)
    Surely it's your own fault for putting yourself in that situation? Everyone has the choice to send off their application earlier, so it's not in the slightest bit unfair.
    well my college deadline for UCAS was last week but they're gonna start going through them now and then finish sending them by january or whenever. so i have no choice about when mine is sent cos ive sent to referee but its up to them now, isnt it? well im not sure but i was just thinking this is unfair because i cant exactly make them send it right now i just have to hope im not one of the last ones they get to.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the Universities' fault if your application is given in then. People should organise themselves early and do it. There's no excuse to not send it in early.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair, as students who get their applications in early know that they're going to get the early offers from the uni's... and they have been able to manage their time well enough to get their application sent off fast. It shows that you're very organised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    It's not the Universities' fault if your application is given in then. People should organise themselves early and do it. There's no excuse to not send it in early.
    i'm afraid there is....i've already applied, cos I'm doing oxbridge application, but at my college they wont process them until after end of nov., so unless you didnt have a refernece (ie didnt do it through college) you wouldnt get your application in at all.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt any university fills up all their spaces before the deadline, but as Juno said, it would be unreasonable to expect universities to process several thousand applications all at once. It probably depends to some extent on what type of applicant you are. A strong applicant may have an advantage by applying early because a university that normally asks for lower grades may be more eager to give them an offer, but at the same time, they'd be likely to get an offer even if they applied later. On the other hand, a weaker applicant may be kept waiting until the deadline, so applying early might not make such a difference. I don't see why it's unfair though; surely a more organised applicant who cares enough to get their application in early deserves to have an advantage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umarf786)
    well, while i sympathise with you, I clearly believe that when an application is sent by the 15th of Oct. the other Uni's apart from Oxbridge shouldn't get the application.. or get it BUT not look at it, until 15th Jan, when all the applications have come in.

clearly a concern and valid point!
    I think that would be really dumb because how come others are able to submit their forms in early and you can't. yes, references may be an issue but once again, how come, inspite of that, some can submit and you can't.

I read somewhere (can't remember) that if the applicant is extremely good, they'll give them an offer staright away. If they have potential but kind of so-so, then they'll wait until they have more applicants and if they're bad, my opinion, I think they'll wait a bit too because once you reject them, then its over.

To the one applying for engineering, I also applied for engineering, so let's say I get an offer, that's one less chance of you getting an offer.

Seriously, just once you've done send it, I believe that it shows that you can organise yourself...university material... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Face it- the early applicants are the Oxbridge ones-straight As all the way...the other universities are going to lap them up! Yep-life is unfair. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing to worry about.

The over subscribed courses all have the 15th October deadline.

Other courses, at this stage, are usually just sending out letters for interviews etc. They will offer out loads of places, knowing that most of them will be rejected (as each applicant in most cases is applying for 6 courses).

Those that send offers without interview at this time of year are usually those where the course is usually under subscribed or a new course. Or if the candidate is particularly exceptional and they don't want to let them go.

There will be thousands of places left over - a lot of them on really good courses at good unis (otherwise there would be no extra and no clearing).

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.