The Student Room Group

To weak for the gym what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Just frigging lift soke compounds and stop makung excuses to not lift
Reply 21
Original post by Gambit92
He/she said to forget doing isolation exercises like bicep curls if op wants to bulk which is bs, if you want to get bigger then you should directly work each body part. What's wrong with mixing isolation with compound exercises?

I started doing a bro split when I first started and made better gains than all my friends who were on strength routines (yes my strength gains were slower). Now I work each body part directly x2 a week.

It's a waste of time as a beginner, if you go into the gym and do Barbell rows, then there's no point doing bicep curls, it's not gonna add anything.

Are you advocating a bro split instead of a tried and tested strength program? Oh it worked for you so it must work for everyone right? Also there are a lot of things you aren't considering such as nutrition, sleeping patterns,commitment etc.
Pls go with dat bs

Erm?
He/she said to forget doing isolation exercises like bicep curls if op wants to bulk which is bs, if you want to get bigger then you should directly work each body part. What's wrong with mixing isolation with compound exercises?

I started doing a bro split when I first started and made better gains than all my friends who were on strength routines (yes my strength gains were slower). Now I work each body part directly x2 a week.

Strength routines are the most reliable route to size for a beginner. Isolations don't really add value until you can heave a reasonable amount. You can't be strong without having muscle, and it's hard to be big without being strong.

Whether you allegedly made better gains than your weak friends is irrelevant.
Pretty much any proper "strength" routine has adequate additional accessory work anyway. Things like Starting Strength, perhaps not so much, but I've always thought that was a bare bones routine you do on top of your physical sport, or just for a month or two before moving onto something else like 5/3/1 BBB. Stands to reason that if you go from say 80/60/120 to something like 180/120/220 you're going to get a lot bigger. Just doing curls and flyes isn't going to do anything for your strength, and isn't going to any more for your size than 5X5 with a little bit of accessory work thrown in.
It's not that you're too weak, it's that you (possibly) have an inferiority complex seeing much fitter people in the gym doing better than you and mocking you for not working out "properly". (I have that problem as well)
Original post by hermitthefrog
I'm a weak little female who struggles to carry anything remotely heavy, if I can get my ass into the gym and pick up some weights ANYONE can. I know it's probably harder as a male, but everyone has to start somewhere, and no one is judging you, most people won't even be looking at how much you're lifting. Get on a proper lifting programme involving compounds, you'll be surprised how quickly you progress. Much faster than 'working on your strength' at home. Once you can do like 15 press ups you're not going to make any gains from bodyweight exercises. I wasted 5 months doing the exact same thing, progress was minimal. And 2 hrs in the gym is very unnecessary, 1 hour is fine on a good programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you kidding me? You can completely make huge progress on body-weight only (upper body at least). I bet 99% of the gym going population can't do 10 full RoM handstand pushups...and thats still a fairly basic exercise. How many can rep one handed chins? These are before starting to manipulate worsening leverages to make exercises harder and harder (think gymnasts and their fantastically difficult ring-work).
Reply 27
Original post by shawn_o1
It's not that you're too weak, it's that you (possibly) have an inferiority complex seeing much fitter people in the gym doing better than you and mocking you for not working out "properly". (I have that problem as well)

My gym buddy for Nov is exactly like this, the most insecure person ever. He won't go to the gym during the day cause there are "too many people watching", he'll literally chicken out of sets once at the gym for this same reason. I remember once in Nov we were benching, I had just finished my set, he had two left and I had one more left to do, he literally walked away cause some guy asked us how many sets we had left to do. His bs left me without a spotter and I lost me gainsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
Defo ditching him from Jan.
Just lol at people arguing that you can be too weak to lift 5x5.

Unless you physically can't bench the bar, you should be doing 5x5. If you cant bench the bar, you should do pushups until you can crack out 10-15

Original post by In One Ear
Are you kidding me? You can completely make huge progress on body-weight only (upper body at least). I bet 99% of the gym going population can't do 10 full RoM handstand pushups...and thats still a fairly basic exercise. How many can rep one handed chins? These are before starting to manipulate worsening leverages to make exercises harder and harder (think gymnasts and their fantastically difficult ring-work).

Gymnasts also train from a young age and hence are extremely competant at bw training.

Bodyweight training is hard to progress on hence a lot of guys stall a lot.

For a girl the premise is pretty daft as the lack of upper body mass available is simply too high to do much in the way of pullups, pushups to add noticeable muscle mass beyond a fairly quick to reach point

Me and you both know adding weight is the key, progressing on chins alone past 12-15 is seemingly impossible!

(This is using the assumption that they're not using a dipping belt.)

You like handstand pushups however your 5rm was above that of an untrained person at the same bw to be able to complete 2-5 handstand pushups, let alone 10!

There's probably a reason I've never met a non-gymnast who's gone beyond untrained skills! :smile:
Reply 29
Start with weights that are heavy for you, not weights that other people advise are good 'beginner weights'. Lift them regularly and build up the weight gradually; combine this with a healthy diet with plenty of protein and you will bulk up without a shadow of a doubt.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Just lol at people arguing that you can be too weak to lift 5x5.

Unless you physically can't bench the bar, you should be doing 5x5. If you cant bench the bar, you should do pushups until you can crack out 10-15

Gymnasts also train from a young age and hence are extremely competant at bw training.

Bodyweight training is hard to progress on hence a lot of guys stall a lot.

For a girl the premise is pretty daft as the lack of upper body mass available is simply too high to do much in the way of pullups, pushups to add noticeable muscle mass beyond a fairly quick to reach point

Me and you both know adding weight is the key, progressing on chins alone past 12-15 is seemingly impossible!

(This is using the assumption that they're not using a dipping belt.)

You like handstand pushups however your 5rm was above that of an untrained person at the same bw to be able to complete 2-5 handstand pushups, let alone 10!

There's probably a reason I've never met a non-gymnast who's gone beyond untrained skills! :smile:

I'm not saying its an easier route to muscle and strength than barbells/traditional weight training, it certainly isn't (its much harder to program and progress can be very non-linear) but people just keep acting like you can't do anything with your BW when you really can. It just requires a bit more dedication and persistence.

Agreed that learning to do advanced (easy advanced really as far as gymnastics actually goes, those guys are ferociously strong!) gymnastic holds like levers/planches is very hard for most heavier adults and nigh on impossible for girls (and its a lot more technical), but something like the HSPU can be infinitely scaled down and then scaled back up in micro progress (i.e. pike pushups of varying lean--->wall HSPU with tiny RoM- stack books up to reduce RoM---->gradually increase RoM until you hit head to floor--->begin increasing RoM until you get hands to shoulders--->add a minor weight vest or play around with harder hand positions, but really I think 10 full RoM HSPUs represents very good pressing strength unless you are very light- certainly I couldn't even do one (not even that close) with 10 reps to the floor). Its not like something like a front lever hold where you can do one progression but the next one totally ****s you for half a year.

For chins you need to switch to uneven pullups (one hand on bar, two hands pulling but second hand on wrist, then gradually lower where the second hand pulls from to reduce assistance), or pull unevenly each rep- i.e. 70% of effort from left side for 1 rep, then 70% of effort from right and so on. Agreed though its much less faff and more easily trackable with a dipping belt and adding weights, but it can still be done with BW alone.

Agreed it seems a lot of people get stuck pretty badly in the mid teens with training only two handed BW chinups. Indeed I got stuck there for ages even though I had no difficulty getting there in the first place, and adding weights until BW+40kg for 5 gave me 21 reps at BW after just a few sessions practicing them, and I think I'd get a few more within a week or two.

I definitely think chins can be a load of faffing without weight but I genuinely believe HSPUs are a good equipment free alternative to barbell OHPs.
OP you have enough advice here now. Heed on them. Pick a routine and go for it.

If it's people in the gym that's the reason for your excuses. Kill those thoughts dead right now. All that matters is you are better, stronger, fitter, whatever, than you were the last time you walked through those gym doors. You are your own enemy and your own greatest friend at the same time. Aim to be better than you were yesterday. Last week. Last month. Never compare yourself to anyone else in the gym because we all have different targets and training methods.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by In One Ear
x

So all in all dem shoulders :tongue: and a bit of lats

Better than nothing I suppose but in reality for the benefits of lifting, you're going to need some weight and a barbell.
I weigh 70kg I can bench 85kg, you will see improvements fast. In the gym no one really cares especially if you are with someone bigger.

Watch these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0WxyKGD7sU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeOh18mWWzg

Quick Reply

Latest