Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    would it help to tell a headteacher or someone who could help mediate a conversation between you and your teacher? good luck

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you show it to your head first and see what he says?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violetviolin)
    would it help to tell a headteacher or someone who could help mediate a conversation between you and your teacher? good luck
    That's what I was thinking too - go to a more senior member of staff, explain the situation, and say that you're thinking of sending the letter to her, to apologise for missing the class and to let her know how upset you were by her treatment of you when you tried to apologise in person.

It's all very well and good teachers having a joke and a laugh, but they should (regardless of how long they've been teaching) have the sense to know how to behave appropriately, and if they're upset, instead of saying "I'm not talking to you" to say "can we discuss this later" or "I was quite annoyed at you having not been there, thank you for explaining" or something more appropriate.

Another reason for going to a senior member of staff is that if she's done something like this before, it'll go on her record and so the other staff can watch her, to make sure she really is suitable to teach. (Because from the one incident, it sounds like she isn't.)

:ditto: Could you perhaps go to your form tutor, or the head of your year/sixth form? You could explain the situation, and they could have a word with her and either encourage her to talk to you and hear you out; or they could tell her what happened.

If that fails, then I'd say send the letter. But another adult telling her that she's over-reacting might have a greater effect.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the letter seems like a massive overreaction. It just sounds as though she supposed that you were skiving so you didn't have to give the presentation. Let her cool off and go talk to her and explain the reasons for your absense. You're doing A levels and applying to university so i assume you are 17/18, without intending to sound harsh, you're an adult so go and sort it out like one. Angry letters will just make you seem childish, talk to her like a rational adult.

If it was me I would do nothing and just keep my head down-you tried to apologise and she wouldn't accept, don't go grovelling in the form of a letter. If she behaves in a manner, which you find unacceptable then go throught the appropriate procedure. She might hold this letter aginst you and you need her support in this difficult year-references etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say do the letter to be honest. Maybe she was having a bad day, but she shouldn't have acted like that towards you.
    I find letters easier than talking to people too.

Yes but is a letter really appropriate in a teacher-student scenario? Any other time I would say yes, but in this case let it go. We all have our bad days, teachers included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loobylou1987)
    Yes but is a letter really appropriate in a teacher-student scenario? Any other time I would say yes, but in this case let it go. We all have our bad days, teachers included.
    I've done it and had no problems.

ReputationRep:
    Remember you're talking to an adult and consider perhaps she was having a bad day and having problems which may explain why she was out of character. Don't send the letter until you have had a few more lessons with her and see if she has changed back to how she was before. Good luck x

(Original post by LadyEnglish)
    Remember you're talking to an adult and consider perhaps she was having a bad day and having problems which may explain why she was out of character. Don't send the letter until you have had a few more lessons with her and see if she has changed back to how she was before. Good luck x
    agree.

ReputationRep:
    Did you bother to contact the school and say that you'd not be able to make the lesson? No. Well its hardly surprising the teacher was angry. You let down the whole class, if I was a class member chances are I'd be annoyed at you as well.

Her reaction wasn't that bad, she didn't hit you or anything. Sending the letter is very stalkeresque, you sure you don't have a crush on said teacher? She probably thinks you do now.

It's time to start back paddling.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't send the letter if I were you. I think it's perfectly fair that you're upset and everything, but by sending a letter, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak. Maybe she thought you were skivving, so was dissapointed in you, particularly if you're one of the better ones in your class, and just reacted badly. Alternatively, maybe something's going on in her life (her marriage is difficult, one of her parents is ill or whatever) and right then, she just didn't want to have to deal with it. Which is understandable, yes? She probably didn't mean anything by it or intend to upset you as much as she clearly has. I also think that going to the head or whatever is a terrible idea if you want to preserve any of your relationship with her: it will just make her feel betrayed, angry and not pre-dispose her to thinking of you favourably in any way whatsoever. Anyway, tell us what happens, what ever you choose to do. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daytona0)
    yea cut the 'childish' part. Anything like that can have the opposite effect to what you want. So long as it's clear, concise and as neutral (ie it doesn't look like your 'calling the teacher names' or having a go at them - rather wanting to talk about a serious issue) as possible, then the letter should be fine
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT send that letter - it will cause all manner of problems.

Instead, get a doctor's certificate and a note from your parents to explain why you were absent, and that may prove to her that you were in fact ill, rather than shirking responsibilities. As long as you have confirmation from both your doctor and your parents then she doesn't have a leg to stand on...

ReputationRep:
    Give her a brief letter/note explaining your absense.

If you're feeling *****y, get a note from the doctor and cc your headteacher. Mention something about your teacher refusing to accept your explanation in person.

ReputationRep:
    if i was in your position i'd avoid the letter completely.

from my experience, it just looks like she was having a pretty rough day. unless this powerpoint was some major deal, i dunno, she's human - im sure she was just kinda peed off about something/life.

im sure if you give it time things could go back to normal.
    if not then write the letter?

ReputationRep:
    talk to your form tutor, and maybe your head of year. If they know that the migraines and stuff are a recurring problem, they should be able to sort this out. Also, if this keeps happening, maybe your form tutor could let your teachers know about the situation, which should make things easier for you to deal with.

Best of luck, and I hope things get better soon.

To be honest, I'd just man up pal, if you want to survive a medical career you can't go to pieces over stuff like this.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I toned the letter down a bit, and was ready to pass it to her. (I also found out from class mates that she'd instructed the class to tell me not to talk to her for at least a week, as she wouldn't respond).

I was waiting around for her to show up, and my head of 6th form walked past and looked surpirsed to see me and said "Oh! You're in today! Waht a surpirse!"
    Me: "What do you mean?

Her: "Well, I'd heard that you didn't come into school to do an important presentation, so i thought you might not bother"

Me (again starting to feel angry and upset): "Look, I was extremely ill, i wasn't even able to open my eyes, let alone come into school. I tried to tell Mrs Campbell that and apologise, but she refused to listen to me, and to be honest I'm seriously upset by the way she's acting, it's really inappropriate"

Her: "Well, i think it's really inappropriate that you didn't come in"

I repeated how ill i was, and really started to feel upset now that she wasn't listening either.

Her: "Surely there's some sort of medication you can take? I mean, I can certainly relate to you, I've had 'bad headaches' too. Anyway, you didn't phone did you?"

Me: "I wasn't able to. In any case, i think it'sstupid how she's acting even when I tried to apologise."
    I then explained what happened, and as I did, my teacher walked up and said "Yes, I did act like that because I was so furious with you, and how distraught you'd made the girls you were working with. Next time, you know what you have to do, just a simple text would have been enough. Let's leave it now shall we?" and walked off.

I was so upset that she was still blaming me. I didn't send her the letter, but I emailed her a semi abridged version, apologising for pressing the issue, and just stating how upset she'd made me.

So that's how it ended basically, she's still not really talking to me, she's still blaming me, and the senior staff are siding with her. Ah well.

Also, to those that suggested it, i absolutely do not have a crush on her lol, she's completely "not my type"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.