The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Revd. Mike
Her: "Well, I'd heard that you didn't come into school to do an important presentation, so i thought you might not bother"

Lol its times like these that I usually reach for the "I come to school so I don't have to end up with a bad job such as teacher like you and btw do you drink alcohol? Oh yes, how could I tell :rolleyes: " insult.
Reply 41
Oh dear, it was nearly acceptable that as a 17 year old girl you couldn't quite face up to her, but you're a guy? Grow some balls man!
Reply 42
That is quite shocking behaviour from a teacher - someone who is supposed to be mature!

I would try and talk to her again rather than writing a letter.
Afterall she has got to talk to you at some point as it is her job!

Although there is no need to treat you like that at all, maybe she was just having an "off" day and she might be more approachable at another time.

Sorry if it is already sorted as I haven't read the whole thread.
Maybe they think you've got a crush on her. I don't know...they're all being innapropriate.
Have you got a bit of a reputation as a scivey charlie?
Ok? maybe cut the childish, but what the **** it was childish!??? AA pssht and raised her hand, Ok???.. She should be more understandive if a person is sick, cmon she is a teacher she should be used to that stuff pssssht.. people getting sick, or people skipping classes
Reply 46
Is there another teacher to whom you could talk about the situation? She acted inappropriately and it might be better for a colleague to speak to her. I really do sympathise with you, but we always have to remember that teachers are people too, and she might have been having a bad day, so it might not have been about you. She might even be feeling guilty about it now. I'd just be a bit worried that writing her a letter might make things worse.
Reply 47
It doesn't bloody matter, stuff happens, people are mean, live with it and get on with it ... stop bloody twining. You will come across people like this in life, have some balls and let it wash over you.
Ask the head of sixth form if she had 'bad headaches' when her husband wanted sex. And maybe you should have use the word migraine rather than bad headache. And get a doctors note explaining that you get migraines and what the severity of them is. Get your parents involved too. You're never to old to get a little back-up.
Reply 49
Anonymous
I'm at a bit of a delicate place in my life at the moment, what with A levels and university applications and stuff. I'm really stressed out about these things, and also with some on-going health issues. (Insomnia, fairly frequent loss of consciousness, recurrent debilitating migraine attacks, self image issues, lets just say I've got some problems).

A couple of weeks ago our class was divided into small groups, and told to research an area of our course and present a lesson on it at a later date. In my group, I was in charge of creating the Powerpoint, and actually delivering the main content of the lesson. However, on the day that we were due to present the lesson, I was struck by one of the debilitating migraines in the morning, and I wasn't able to leave my bed for the most of the day.

The following day, I found my teacher, and went to apologise and explain, I got as far as "Hi Miss, I'm really sorry I-" and then she cut across me. She didn't look at me, or stop walking, she just raised her hand to me as she passed and said "No. Don't want to hear it. Not talking to you". I was taken aback, but I thought she might be joking around as she sometimes does, so I continued to say how ill I was, but she wasn't having any of it. Without turning around or stopping she just yelled back "I don't CARE! NOT talking to you!" and walked off inside a building.

I was so shocked by this, especially as she is my favourite teacher, the one I get on best with, in my favourite subject, and the one who's usually quite uspportive. I felt so upset, I was almost in tears during my next lesson, as pathetic as that sounds. Along with everything else that's going on in my life at the moment, that really didn't help.

Later, after having got home and gotten it off my chest abit, I thought it would be sensible to try and talk to my teacher, and let her know how much she upset me. I know what I want to say, but I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to say it all, I'm really scared that my voice will start wobbling or something. (Btw, most of my friends and teachers don't know about the stress I'm under or how I'm feeling, they all think I'm a really strong person who's always cheery and happy, and that's the image I tend to put out). So I decided to write down everything I wanted to say in a brief letter, and then walk up to her tomorrow, give it to her and walk off. However, I'm just not sure whether what I've written is alright, i think it comes off as being slightly rude. Anyone offer an opinion?

Thanks.

Blimey - just forget about it, innit.

What's the big deal? Teacher doesn't care? So what?

Honestly mate - you'll look back on this thread in two years and cringe.

You seem like a nice person and you come across well. Give yourself a break and don't get involved in your teacher's minor headfuc ks. :wink:
Everybody just seems to be contradicting themselves on here! There are people telling the OP to grow up and confront her "like a man" blabla but what's more adult than writing a concise letter to explain how he's feeling rather than try and talk face to face with someone who is clearly so unresponsive and childish? That's exactly what adults do in the "adult world" - they put their concerns in writing, so that no one can dispute what has been said.

OP it sounds to me like you're doing the right thing, just try and stay calm and don't blow it out of proportion in your mind, although I know it's hard when you're feeling under pressure. I would follow other people's advice and talk to your doctor, try and sort out the root of the problem which is obviously your health causing you to miss classes- there are some effective treatments for migraines now- and in the meantime make sure you have a doctor's note signed by your GP and your parents to show people who question your being unwell. Show this your teacher and tell her one more time that you are sorry you missed her class and you hope it won't happen again, and that you're not going to pursue the issue any further, then just try and get on with life. I hope you feel better soon.
Jennybean
what's more adult than writing a concise letter to explain how he's feeling[?]

Ignoring it and getting on with life?
What is the issue here? Especially now the teacher herself has said 'leave it there an forget' or something similar.

You should just have left it from the start, not got yourself so bothered over it.

And quite frankly I'm appalled by some of the comments in here. Actually, no I'm not. Since starting my job at the start of September I've come across some rude, ill-mannered kids who think teachers own them something beyond basic teaching despite showing the teachers no respect back, barely doing any work and doing all they can to get out of putting effort in.

Why should I be surprised that there could be similar people posting on these boards? (This isn't aimed at the situation of the thread starting missing the presentation.)
How can he "get on with life" when this IS his life? He has to see this person who is making him unhappy every day. It's only too easy to just say "oh get over it" but if it's affecting him then it's important to sort it out and this is undoubtedly the most mature way to go about that. It's not your life, what have you got against people being happy?!
Jennybean
How can he "get on with life" when this IS his life? He has to see this person who is making him unhappy every day. It's only too easy to just say "oh get over it" but if it's affecting him then it's important to sort it out and this is undoubtedly the most mature way to go about that. It's not your life, what have you got against people being happy?!

To be honest, I doubt the teacher thinks there is much of an issue here. She wouldn't be best pleased over something here, especially as it involved other students getting upset over not having the presentation stuff, but being in class. There was no word at all to anyone about being absent (aren't there parents/other people there to help out with this? From the teachers point of view even if she was virtually dying one day she'd be expected to do her best to contact the school as soon as she could to leave instructions for her lessons for the day. Even if she had a terrific migraine and couldn't get out of bed all day. She simply couldn't just not turn up and leave it. She'd be in deep **** if she did that. Maybe she just expected the common courtesy for her pupils to do the same since really they were not only teaching a lesson to each other, but also doing so in groups and so relying on each other.
Reply 55
^Yep. Your teacher does sound unprofessional though, it's not really their place to not talk to you because they were personally annoyed or disappointed.
Jennybean

I hate people being happy. Really.
Reply 57
I haven't read the rest of the thread, but why are you sending an apology note to someone who behaved totally inappropriately in a professional capacity? You ought to just go above her head and tell someone else how ridiculously rude she was to you rather than send her apology notes.
Reply 58
Bloody hell. Mate, all your teachers appear have the emotional development of 8 year old. This is the point where id consider slashing their tyres :rolleyes:.
good letter v mature (but yes cut the 'childish' and stick to inappropriate or something)

Latest