The Student Room Group

Overrated film/s?

Companion to my other thread, i'm interested in reading about what you guys think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Frozen - It did not deserve to be The Wind Rises at the Oscars and I think it's just a pretty average Disney film anyway.
The Shawshank Redemption. It's a good film and nothing more than that, how it's at the top on IMDB is beyond me:confused: Above the likes of much better films like The Godfather
Original post by KimonoMyHouse
Companion to my other thread, i'm interested in reading about what you guys think.

Forest Gump
Marley and me (I think it's called).. Well its alright. Maybe not that :P
Can't think of anything else on the top of my head
Reply 4
Frozen
Mrs Doubtfire
Blade Runner
Flash Gordon
Under The Skin
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by somemightsay888
The Shawshank Redemption. It's a good film and nothing more than that, how it's at the top on IMDB is beyond me:confused: Above the likes of much better films like The Godfather

Loads of people say this but I think its more because of the strong message and the age of the film. Morgan Freeman plays the part spectacularly well and the messages that can be drawn from the film are extremely powerful. When you compare that to what could be drawn from The Godfather, it's easy to see why the Shawshank Redemption is higher. It is a truly fantastic film, arguably ahead of its time. If you take both films at face value then its easy to see why someone would prefer The Godfather.
Original post by Messiah Complex
Loads of people say this but I think its more because of the strong message and the age of the film. Morgan Freeman plays the part spectacularly well and the messages that can be drawn from the film are extremely powerful. When you compare that to what could be drawn from The Godfather, it's easy to see why the Shawshank Redemption is higher. It is a truly fantastic film, arguably ahead of its time. If you take both films at face value then its easy to see why someone would prefer The Godfather.

I just think it's a very very typical feel good movie; "Just you wait, you'll get yours" is the message and the film does nothing for me that other films haven't done. It's a typical "good guy goes through stuff, sticks it out, rides the storm and then redeems himself", just an 18 rated version of those events. Don't get me wrong, I like the film, it's just nowhere near as complete an experience the Godfather or other lower ranked films were. I don't think it has anywhere near the depth the Godfather has though, you could draw so much more from it. I think Shawshank is a lot more blunt in the whole "This character is good. This one is not", Godfather a lot more subtle and intricate, no character inherently good, no character inherently evil. But, that's just my opinion, obviously 1.3 million voters feel different :h:
Original post by somemightsay888
I just think it's a very very typical feel good movie; "Just you wait, you'll get yours" is the message and the film does nothing for me that other films haven't done. It's a typical "good guy goes through stuff, sticks it out, rides the storm and then redeems himself", just an 18 rated version of those events.

The message is far more complex than that and is applicable in more ways than one. The parallels of hope that could be drawn from the movie align with the feeling that many possess outside of prison as well on their battles and journeys. Thats just one message that can be drawn from the movie. Its a truly incredible movie. There are people who've done in depth analysis' of it as well because of the multiple messages it sends out. Its that deepness that so many people get that has led to it gaining so many tens on IMDB and the truth is, it did it without trying to force cliched stuff like romance down the throat of the audience.
Original post by Emily.97
Forest Gump
Marley and me (I think it's called).. Well its alright. Maybe not that :P
Can't think of anything else on the top of my head

That's the saddest film I've ever seen... :'(

inb4 Froz- oh too late
Reply 9
The Godfather and Its a Wonderful Life. Both are mind-numbingly dull and the people who talk the most about them seem to be the ones who haven't actually watched them (from my experience).

Recently, it's been anything with Jennifer Lawrence in it. Hyped to the high heavens.
Original post by Arkasia
The Godfather and Its a Wonderful Life. Both are mind-numbingly dull and the people who talk the most about them seem to be the ones who haven't actually watched them (from my experience).

Recently, it's been anything with Jennifer Lawrence in it. Hyped to the high heavens.

I agree with It's a Wonderful Life, I didn't think it was particularly anything special.
I do not care for The Godfather; it insists upon itself, Lois.
Clerks as well is absolute *******s, I've never seen anything more unfunny in my life. Hipster indie fags rate this highly.
Avatar and a lot of the comic related movies such as Avengers
Original post by Anonymοοse
Avatar and a lot of the comic related movies such as Avengers

Agreed, I could never get into comic book films, always found them boring.
Original post by CCH0705
Frozen - It did not deserve to be The Wind Rises at the Oscars and I think it's just a pretty average Disney film anyway.

I'm a huge Maiyazaki fan, loved The Wind Rises, but was absolutely fine with Frozen winning the Oscar.
Reply 16
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I'm a huge Maiyazaki fan, loved The Wind Rises, but was absolutely fine with Frozen winning the Oscar.

Frozen was okay but I felt as though it wasn't as spectacular and ground breaking as people made it out to be. Disney have made loads of films better than Frozen is what I think I was trying to say XD

Besides Studio Ghibli are almost always ignored by the Oscars (I was so gutted when From Up on Poppy Hill missed out :frown: ) that I really wanted it to win!
Original post by CCH0705
Frozen was okay but I felt as though it wasn't as spectacular and ground breaking as people made it out to be. Disney have made loads of films better than Frozen is what I think I was trying to say XD

Besides Studio Ghibli are almost always ignored by the Oscars (I was so gutted when From Up on Poppy Hill missed out :frown: ) that I really wanted it to win!

I don't know. Frozen is my favourite Disney (not including Disney-Pixar) film ever. It was perfection as far as Disney films go IMO.

Agree on Studio Ghibli being ignored though.
Forrest Gump
The Harry Potter films (Please don't kill me) :redface:
The woman in black

Watched it yesterday so I could watch TWIB2 and it dragged like crazy

'Jumpy' my ass

Quick Reply

Latest