Turn on thread page Beta

I need another A level to get into the part time degree at Northumbria but I need to find one which fits with the following criteria:

- NO coursework (the reason why I cant take my other 2 ASs to A2)

- Easy enough to do the full course between January and June

- Relatively interesting

- Relatively respected

- No Maths or Science

ReputationRep:
    well Maths is the only one I know with no coursework - but as you said no maths or science, I guess it's not an option...
    sorry, that wasn't much help.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say Maths as well :p: Why not Maths kirstinx?

*Laura Loooou, where are yoooou?* :marchmell

ReputationRep:
    I was about to say Maths as well.... I really can't think of any other that fits all your other criteria.

Umm... how about English language, sociology, politics, law, critical thinking, religious studies?

(Original post by Mustard-man)
    I was going to say Maths as well :p: Why not Maths kirstinx?

*Laura Loooou, where are yoooou?* :marchmell
    Maths is hard

Plus I havent done any Maths since 2005 and I cant remember anything from my GCSEs

(Original post by Excalibur)
    I was about to say Maths as well.... I really can't think of any other that fits all your other criteria.

Umm... how about English language, sociology, politics, law, critical thinking, religious studies?
    Is there an exam board where English Language doesn't have coursework?

Sociology would be an option, the family part looks interesting.

I started AS Politics and it bored me to death, so as I will be doing about 12 hours of it a week, it probably wouldn't be a good idea:p:

Law, I was thinking I shouldn't do Law as I want to do a law degree and it would be better having some knowledge elsewhere.

I always thought Religious Studies had a lot of content?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe economics? That has no coursework. But it is quite diffucult that is what i have heard from my mates doing A2 this year but surley that is with most subjects. Slight element of maths though

There is also sociolgy that has a c/w element but you can take an exam instead of c/w known as method exam i think. No maths in this at all that is with AQA i dont know about the rest of the exam boards

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Is there an exam board where English Language doesn't have coursework?

Sociology would be an option, the family part looks interesting.

Law, I was thinking I shouldn't do Law as I want to do a law degree and it would be better having some knowledge elsewhere.

I always thought Religious Studies had a lot of content?:confused:
    Snap with the sociology the AS part is quite fun actually. As i mentioned b4 though there is c/w but there is a way around that.
    I understand the statement about law aswell. I was a bit worried picking it but that too is a really good subject.

If you have any q's PM as i do both of the above

Which one is the easiest?:p:

ReputationRep:
    Government and Politics! Yays! I did it, it's excellent.

I have the books but its boring

ReputationRep:
    You can do Edexcel English lit without cw because you can take a exam instead. However, it's alot of hard work!

ReputationRep:
    How about a modern foreign language? There's not a huge amount of content, and it seems to be more about building up a vocabulary etc... Obviously it involves work, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an A-Level that doesn't :p:

ReputationRep:
    AQA English Lit can be taken without coursework as well, but you've already got that in your sig. I'd say sociology would be the easiest. As long as you are good at revising it should be pretty easy and with OCR Sociology you can take an Applied Research Skills exam instead of coursework. I taught myself at home for my sociology A2 exams and for the synoptic unit and the research skills i had less than four days to learn everything and revise everything (i got A's in every exam). If you have the right material (there are some really good books that tell you everything you need to know) and a good revision technique it should be fairly easy.

ReputationRep:
    AQA English Language (Spec A) doesn't need to have any coursework.

Critical Thinking would be useful seeing as you want to do Law.

ReputationRep:
    yep .. Critical Thinking

On the AQA website it said that Eng Lang A and B have coursework? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    OCR? CCEA? WJEC? I have no idea where Cumbria is sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    On the AQA website it said that Eng Lang A and B have coursework? :confused:
    I've just checked the AQA English Language A specification, and it mentions that Unit 2 and 4 provides the option of either a coursework piece, or written unit. Therefore i guess this would be an appropriate choice if you where to choose the Written Unit then you would be without coursework

(Original post by michaelbenson)
    I've just checked the AQA English Language A specification, and it mentions that Unit 2 and 4 provides the option of either a coursework piece, or written unit. Therefore i guess this would be an appropriate choice if you where to choose the Written Unit then you would be without coursework
    I cant read then

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.