Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blur303)
    Government and Politics is probably a good bet, though you're much more likely to get a high grade if you have an interest in current affairs. Economics has no coursework but it's quite hard, I think it'd be very difficult to do it all between January and June.
    Both are easy to learn in the short amount of time, Economics is precieved as being hard as it is logical like Maths but without the Maths. You see my point and I see your applying to do Law so this The AS in my view can be done between Januray and June. So can Politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl1982)
    Maths is the only one i believe that has no course work
    Wrong, i'm afraid.

Oh and KirstinX, take a look at this wesbite: www.philipallanupdates.co.uk It you get the books from here for your specific exam board and unit choices for sociology, then pretty much all you need to do is learn from these books (the content is about 30-40 pages of A5) as they have everything you need to ace the exams. They're about £6 each or something, but worth every penny, i'd be very suprised if you got less than an A using them.

Thanks, I will take a look .

If I got an A in Sociology I would be almost able to meet my offer if I get any and I dont see why the unis would mind as I will still have 3 A2s just 1 will be different and I will have 2 ASs, just 1 will be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    I need another A level to get into the part time degree at Northumbria but I need to find one which fits with the following criteria:

- NO coursework (the reason why I cant take my other 2 ASs to A2)

- Easy enough to do the full course between January and June

- Relatively interesting

- Relatively respected

- No Maths or Science
    Sociology you get a choice in AQA AS/A2 of written exams instead of coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Wrong, i'm afraid.

Oh and KirstinX, take a look at this wesbite: www.philipallanupdates.co.uk It you get the books from here for your specific exam board and unit choices for sociology, then pretty much all you need to do is learn from these books (the content is about 30-40 pages of A5) as they have everything you need to ace the exams. They're about £6 each or something, but worth every penny, i'd be very suprised if you got less than an A using them.
    Also invest in the Haralambos and Holborn - Themes and Perspectives textbook - bloody brilliant

But it looks hard, long and theres a lot of stuff to learn, is this the case? Or doable (as and a2) in 4 months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX)
    Also invest in the Haralambos and Holborn - Themes and Perspectives textbook - bloody brilliant
    I can't fit it in my bag :rofl: It's about a foot thick! Still, it is brilliant...

I might read up on some Work and Leisure material later this year, as I'm confident I could answer that without any formal teaching...

(Original post by RJA)
    I can't fit it in my bag :rofl: It's about a foot thick! Still, it is brilliant...

I might read up on some Work and Leisure material later this year, as I'm confident I could answer that without any formal teaching...
    :toofunny:

Bearing in mind I need to save my money for exam fees I cant buy many books, which would you recommend as the best ones to buy?

ReputationRep:
    This one was recommended by my teachers, it is also by Haralambos (who apparently is God, he writes textbooks for multiple subjects), but the book itself is 5 times smaller :p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sociology-Fo...996438?ie=UTF8

And the A2 version of it?

Also does that book have questions in it? To test knowledge at the end of each page/chapter/topic?

ReputationRep:
    kirstinx, you should think about economics.
    I dont know about A2 but the AS Ive done so far isnt too hard and its quite enjoyable once you get past all the theory.
    To put things in perspective my class has been taught unit 1 and parts of unit 2 in just one half term.
    BUT you're also doing business studies and some unis dont like students ti have both econ n business stud.

ReputationRep:
    English Language, AQA A doesn't have coursework, its easy enough and really interesting (at least I think so:p:)

ReputationRep:
    I learnt the entire syllabus for three different A2's in 3 months, its incredibly stressful and involves 12 hour days at some points, but its doable. I must have spent about 2-3 weeks in total on A2 sociology and got something like 270/300 (including a 90/90). It's not going to be easy and don't expect to breeze through it, but if you have good self-motivation and discipline and a good revision technique, its certainly achievable.

Oh and haralambos is way too big to learn quickly, its something like 200 pages and has no help with essay technique whereas the philip allan books are about 60 pages and also tell you how to answer the questions and show you where people have gone wrong before as well as giving you plenty of practice questions to answer. I had both the haralambos book and the philip allan books and haralambos just didn't compare at all

ReputationRep:
    Philip Allan's is a revision guide...if you think that's enough for you to do the whole course then go for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    Philip Allan's is a revision guide...if you think that's enough for you to do the whole course then go for it...
    I think an A at 90% says that it is, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it a little dangerous just using revision guides? You wouldnt get the correct amount of detail? :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)

:eek: neither can I but I take the student handbook into school with me instead :proud: :p:

ReputationRep:
    So have you come to a descision about what subject your taking up? Kirstinx?

English Language or Sociology I think

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.