Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

2015/2016 Primary education PGCE Northumbria interview Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roisinrev)
    hi all

so i have my interview next week, for those of you that have done it, what is to be expected of the reading and math activities? also, i had an interview for Southampton and we had to do English and math skills texts on the day, is there anything like this on interview day in Northumbria?

what kind of questions are to be expected?

i appreciate all your help and replies in advance best of luck to ye all
    First of all, best of luck at the interview.

Northumbria was relaxed for me, in comparison to Durham and Newcastle.

I arrived, and everyone was gathered in the foyer. They then took you to a lecture room where they checked everyone's ID and gave you a name badge. Then they gave an outline of the course - the intensity of it, about your placements - the usual 'Introductory Powerpoint' that I've been given at all three of my interviews.

Then they called out your name and you were split into groups of about 5 or 6 candidates. You were then given a children's book - we had Kipper's Toybox. In your group, you need to decide how is best to read the story to a panel of 2 adults (Headteacher and Lecturer were on mine). We chose to read 2 consecutive pages each. You then have time to practise before being taken to your interview room.

First of all, you read the story (as you would to a group of children), and you are then given a topic to discuss as a group. Make yourself heard!!! (Although I was then asked in my individual interview if there was anything important from the group discussion that I'd wanted to say but hadn't had the opportunity to - one of the people in our group was particularly pushy, a 'know-it-all' when in fact, he didn't really seem to have the relevant knowledge at all - you know the ones who display the 'textbook interview techniques' etc).

I think our topic was on the importance of reading. From then, you are given a sheet of paper which has a child's maths work on the front, and some questions on the back. You basically answer the questions on the back as a group - it's about being able to reflect and evaluate on a piece of work, where it fits into the curriculum, what age it is for (although the Headteacher made the mistake of telling us what age ours was for) and your general comments on it. Remember, they do not expect you to already know everything you need to know to become a teacher - it's all about your potential to become a great teacher.

After the group interview, everyone was sent out to the coffee area/waiting area and waited to be called for their individual interview. Your interview is with only one of the people from your group interview, while the other interviewer is interviewing another candidate from your group in the same room!! (Not as off-putting as I thought it may be).

You answer a few questions, have the opportunity to ask questions yourself and then you're done. I took my portfolio to show the interviewers, but they weren't interested as it wasn't on the requirements to bring, so not everyone will have taken one!!!!!!!

Hope this is of some help!!

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much, this has been fantastic. it appears to so relaxed towards the other interview i have done! thanks again for all the info :flowers:

(Original post by hebdon15)
    First of all, best of luck at the interview.

Northumbria was relaxed for me, in comparison to Durham and Newcastle.

I arrived, and everyone was gathered in the foyer. They then took you to a lecture room where they checked everyone's ID and gave you a name badge. Then they gave an outline of the course - the intensity of it, about your placements - the usual 'Introductory Powerpoint' that I've been given at all three of my interviews.

Then they called out your name and you were split into groups of about 5 or 6 candidates. You were then given a children's book - we had Kipper's Toybox. In your group, you need to decide how is best to read the story to a panel of 2 adults (Headteacher and Lecturer were on mine). We chose to read 2 consecutive pages each. You then have time to practise before being taken to your interview room.

First of all, you read the story (as you would to a group of children), and you are then given a topic to discuss as a group. Make yourself heard!!! (Although I was then asked in my individual interview if there was anything important from the group discussion that I'd wanted to say but hadn't had the opportunity to - one of the people in our group was particularly pushy, a 'know-it-all' when in fact, he didn't really seem to have the relevant knowledge at all - you know the ones who display the 'textbook interview techniques' etc).

I think our topic was on the importance of reading. From then, you are given a sheet of paper which has a child's maths work on the front, and some questions on the back. You basically answer the questions on the back as a group - it's about being able to reflect and evaluate on a piece of work, where it fits into the curriculum, what age it is for (although the Headteacher made the mistake of telling us what age ours was for) and your general comments on it. Remember, they do not expect you to already know everything you need to know to become a teacher - it's all about your potential to become a great teacher.

After the group interview, everyone was sent out to the coffee area/waiting area and waited to be called for their individual interview. Your interview is with only one of the people from your group interview, while the other interviewer is interviewing another candidate from your group in the same room!! (Not as off-putting as I thought it may be).

You answer a few questions, have the opportunity to ask questions yourself and then you're done. I took my portfolio to show the interviewers, but they weren't interested as it wasn't on the requirements to bring, so not everyone will have taken one!!!!!!!

Hope this is of some help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roisinrev)
    thank you so much, this has been fantastic. it appears to so relaxed towards the other interview i have done! thanks again for all the info :flowers:
    No worries - best of luck

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.