Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Some facts about me before I dive in to this post:
    I’m going to do an English degree next year (literature) hopefully at the University of York
    I love reading
    I think about and analyse things too much sometimes
    I’ve never been one to disregard an office based ‘desk-job’ as a career aspiration and I like a routine
    I have editorial experience in the form of a volunteer editor position for a local magazine which I also write for.

Now, here’s where I need help. For a few years I’ve been dead set on a publishing career and editorial work, possibly to then progress in to literary agency. However, for the past month I’ve been conflicted about my future career after speaking to my teachers, fellow students and my parents. I’ve been thinking of doing my PGCE after university to then possibly go in to teaching college students English literature. I’ve thought about teaching previously in the past but it was never something I put much thought in to until now. Both careers in my opinion suit my skills and interests but I’m torn between which path to focus on at the moment and could do with another opinion on the situation. I know I will probably change my mind during the rest of my education but I like a goal to focus on and during university I would need teaching experience in order to then follow on with a teaching career.

So what would you do and what advice could you give to me? Are any of you guys considering teaching or publishing or in a similar conflict to me?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to worry too much just yet - you still have several more years until you'll be looking for a job I suggest you try to get a bit of work experience in each area and see what you enjoy? Consider writing for your university's student paper, volunteering in local schools (many universities have schemes set up to help with this), etc.These can also be helpful experiences to mention when applying for jobs - even if you end up considering a completely different career in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyhoshano)
    know I will probably change my mind during the rest of my education
    I'm glad you recognise this. It will probably change, and you're lucky to be in a position where your intended degree can easily lead to both of your interests. So why worry? Use the next few months/years as an opportunity to find out more about yourself and what really drives you. Recognise what elements you might need to keep your options open (e.g. work experience), and then hopefully you'll be able to make an informed decision - make that your goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    You don't need to worry too much just yet - you still have several more years until you'll be looking for a job I suggest you try to get a bit of work experience in each area and see what you enjoy? Consider writing for your university's student paper, volunteering in local schools (many universities have schemes set up to help with this), etc.These can also be helpful experiences to mention when applying for jobs - even if you end up considering a completely different career in the end

Thank you for your advice. My primary reason for my dilemma isthat I like direction and I like a goal to focus on. I enjoy my experience in editingfor the magazine and I have thought about looking at experience in schools butat the moment I am very busy. This will also be the case at university due tothe amount of independent study that accompanies a degree in literature but Iwill see what I can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I'm glad you recognise this. It will probably change, and you're lucky to be in a position where your intended degree can easily lead to both of your interests. So why worry? Use the next few months/years as an opportunity to find out more about yourself and what really drives you. Recognise what elements you might need to keep your options open (e.g. work experience), and then hopefully you'll be able to make an informed decision - make that your goal.
    When I was younger I was set on journalism or publishing andtherefore wanted to pursue a journalism degree. However, after much thought andlessons in literature I found my passion for it and knew that an English degreewould open up much more doors for me.
    Thank you for yourreply and advice which I will take in to consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyhoshano)

Thank you for your advice. My primary reason for my dilemma isthat I like direction and I like a goal to focus on. I enjoy my experience in editingfor the magazine and I have thought about looking at experience in schools butat the moment I am very busy. This will also be the case at university due tothe amount of independent study that accompanies a degree in literature but Iwill see what I can do.

Unless you'll be at Oxbridge you should have enough spare time to do some volunteering- independent study doesn't take up the whole of your spare time.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe but the degree at york is pretty packed with a lot of wider reading

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.