Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Classical Music Anyone...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    Anyone who doesn't like classical music would find Rachmaninoff an example of musical vomit.
    Maybe try Chopin or Rachmaninoff's Preludes or Etudes; they'd be fun to practice.
    Or Liszt Mephisto Waltz (I forgot to add that to my list of favorite works)
    Ahhhh Liszt. I love his Consolation No. 3 and Un Sospiro. Can't play either one of them, sadly. And I don't think I've heard Mephisto Waltz but will surely have to listen to it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if anyone else has ever had this problem but I hate it when I find a beautiful song to play and then realize it's a duet... I don't do duets. lol. It's very depressing.

ReputationRep:
    Did you dislike your piano teacher?
    And what do you like playing?
    I like printing off loads of new pieces for sight-reading- I personally think all piano music before Beethoven is ****.
    No, she was a great piano teacher and I really liked her; a lot of people I know took from her. But I literally cannot tell you hardly anything about chords. I learned them a little but many years ago so if I want to improvise anything.. well I can't. Which sucks. I really need to just pick up some music theory books or take a few classes. And I love just listening to songs on Spotify and then looking them up on my iPad and attempting to play them. And my pet peeve is when people talk about Classical music and include Mozart just because they know he was a composer. LOL. In comparison to everyone else, I really dislike the large majority of his music.

ReputationRep:
    I can't play most Liszt myself, but the examiner at my Grade 8 exam agreed with my suggestion of if I should play Gnomenreigen by Liszt. I'm currently 'learning' it- although 'practising' (outside of lessons) for me is just sight reading it repeatedly- it's actually quite fun.
    Wow. So what level of education is Grade 8 in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Love Jeff Buckley

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'Grade's in music exams in the UK have nothing to do with grades (as in year/age groups) in the US. Here it simply means the standard/difficulty of the exam, Grade 8 is the highest level for exams in ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal School of Music) in the UK.
    Ok. Then you must be really good! Are you in university or college?

ReputationRep:
    I played Finlandia! We had a huge brass section. Brilliant. I love Sibelius, but he didn't know how to write for violins.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't play (one of my few regrets in life), but I appreciate the hell out of these incomparable pieces. Perennial favourites include:

- Bach's Partita no. 2 in D minor
    - Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 21
    - Mozart's Fantasia in D minor
    - Beethoven's Fantasie in G minor
    - Barrios' La Catedral
    - Mendelssohn's Octet in E minor
    - Rachmaninov's Nocturne in F sharp major
    - Schubert's Der Erlkönig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I don't play (one of my few regrets in life), but I appreciate the hell out of these incomparable pieces. Perennial favourites include:

- Bach's Partita no. 2 in D minor
    - Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 21
    - Mozart's Fantasia in D minor
    - Beethoven's Fantasie in G minor
    - Barrios' La Catedral
    - Mendelssohn's Octet in E minor
    - Rachmaninov's Nocturne in F sharp major
    - Schubert's Der Erlkönig
    You go to Cambridge?!!! That is like my dream school! I wish I lived in England just so my parents would let me go there!

ReputationRep:
    I did well in my exam (132/150, which is a distinction), but partly because I got full marks for sight reading, which I happen to find useless for testing in exams.

No, I'm not at uni or college; I'm 16 so I'm still at school.
    Oh... Well I feel silly trying to talk about the UK education system so I'm going to stop now. Haha. And I'm 17, will be 18 in 2015, so this is my last year in the American public school system. THANK THE LORD.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, if you mind me asking, is the state you live in a red state or blue state?
    I live in a red state. I'm a conservative. lol. I don't mind calling myself one but I mind the sometimes-bad image that we have. But like a large majority of US states, the cities in my state are Democratic. I live in one of the larger states based on land, but my state is mainly Republican. It was also a border state in the American Civil War and has pretty much every culture of America in it due to its location. So I kind of live in a "bible-belt area".
    And the thing with the education system is lack of funding, sometimes incompetent teachers, and the fact that not all parents encourage their students to try their best. A lot of rural schools don't get the nice things that big city schools get. I live in a small town but we got grants to get iPads for the whole high school (900+) and when one of my teacher's from last year went to a conference, she met these teachers from a big city in Cali who were so excited cuz they got iPads for JUST one of their classrooms. LOL. I have great teachers but all coaches must teach so some of my teachers put their coaching before their students which makes me really dislike sports. And honestly, it is way too easy to become a teacher here. But there are lots of really exceptional teachers and I particularly love my AP english teacher because she actually pushes us to try hard and I for the first time feel like I am learning something useful for college!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarchingBand2015)
    You go to Cambridge?!!! That is like my dream school! I wish I lived in England just so my parents would let me go there!
    Hey now, you have your own awesome universities stateside. And I had friends who came on an exchange program from USA. Cambridge is just beautiful though, nothing makes 9am lectures worth getting up for quite like a walk across the historic courtyards and bridges.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised to hear of a young conservative, given the reputation of young people as naive liberals.

I'm South Korean (even though I live in England) but I have a great interest in American politics. Was a black person shot in your state a few months ago leading to enormous protests?

If you don't mind, who would you support in the Republican primaries of 2016?
    Yes that was my state. Unfortunately. And btw, STL is a very nice city, just to put that out there, because all the news coverage kind of makes it look bad. And who would I support? Idk. I want Dr. Ben Carson to run but who knows if that will happen. People are saying Jeb Bush should run but considering that like no Democrats like to even think about George Bush, it might not be a great idea for him to be our party's candidate.

And btw, my town has quite a few young conservatives. Haha. I have a friend who is a member of the republican party and pays membership dues, and even traveled to the state capital to protest Common Core a while back.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Do you have music lessons in your school?
    If we pass a simple test to basically make sure we are not tone deaf, then we can choose to be in band, choir, or orchestra starting in the seventh grade (12 years of age). And that's when we learn how to play real instruments. Other schools where they have lots of $$$ will start their kids off in band at much younger ages. My district is known for sports, perhaps one of the oldest football rivalries west of the Mississippi.

Other than that, if you want your kids involved in music before 7th grade in my town, you have to get them private lessons. But there are music classes in school before them where kids sing and learn basic music stuff but don't really play much of anything besides annoying recorders. haha

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Do you have music lessons in your school?

And do SAT and ACT determine the uni you go to?
    And SAT and ACT scores can definitely determine where you go, but are not the determining factor. I have a 30 which isn't like as high as I would like it but I score in the top 97% in the nation I believe. So basically a 30 or higher can get you into any college you want, but the average scores for some schools like the Ivies are slightly higher. You must also have good grades and good extracurriculars.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I think of St Louis I'm always reminded of that old film. Should we carry on our conversation using private messenging so I won't make this thread go off topic?
    I think it's a little too late for going off topic. Lol. To put it back on topic, Missouri is home to Scott Joplin, a ragtime pianist.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it 4:16 or so in Missouri, which isn't late at all.
    Nonetheless, I don't know much about Joplin, although I like his pieces the"Magnetic Rag" and the "Maple Leaf Rag".
    Haha. I meant we've already went off topic so you trying to prevent it from going off topic is useless. And yes... It is only the afternoon here.

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was using private messenging to carry on the conversation we were having to stop it from being derailed further than it has already been (I know I was the one who derailed in the first place )
    Okay, okay. And yes, you definitely the one who derailed it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarchingBand2015)
    Where are all the classical music fans? Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Satie, and Liszt are my favorites!!!

Does anyone like to play any songs by these composers?
    Beethoven and Satie are very emotional to play and I am dying to be able to play a Liszt song someday but his piano music is insane!
    Do you know Cavatina by Stanley Myers?

ReputationRep:
    Back to topic, I dislike the majority of Mozart's music as well: the melodic lines are pretty but he adds repeat marks everywhere and his music is too predictable. And the range of keys he uses is disappointing.
    I feel like he just doesn't do as good of a job getting to the heart of human emotions. Like some of his pieces would not fit the common people at all, but is more for kings and queens and noblemen. Not that those people aren't humans, but some of his music to me sounds like what those people during his time period would listen to.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.