The Student Room Group

Shall I get a PS4/Xbox One?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by al_94
Yes it does depend on the game but PC games are often running better at least 1080P/60 FPS but the consoles are 720P-900P/30FPS in many games. Also PC allows you to use a keyboard/mouse and controller but console is only controller. PC has mods for games and consoles don't. PC has cheaper games than console.

1080P, 900P, 30 FPS, 60 FPS. There may be a difference at times, but for the most part it's negligible.

Console games can be just as cheap as PC games, it depends. If you're the kind of person who sells your games afterward, you can even make a profit.

Downsides to PCs are that you can't just start playing. You need the right PC, and then hope you don't get any errors for a start. PCs have to be upgraded too, and for more than the price of a console. I'm not talking thousands of pounds, but £500-600 buying pre-owned parts that last for 7 or so years is still more expensive. This leads to incompatibilities with older games, more errors, which isn't a problem for consoles which last decades, theoretically forever. Another one is that most people don't have a way of playing PC in bed.
Reply 21
Original post by ozzyoscy
1080P, 900P, 30 FPS, 60 FPS. There may be a difference at times, but for the most part it's negligible.

That may not make much difference to you but to many they see 60 FPS especially as much better.

Console games can be just as cheap as PC games, it depends. If you're the kind of person who sells your games afterward, you can even make a profit.

Maybe for old games but PC games are cheaper on release you can get them for £30 or less I haven't seen this for next gen consoles but you are right about the trade in value that physical copies of console games have.

Downsides to PCs are that you can't just start playing. You need the right PC, and then hope you don't get any errors for a start. PCs have to be upgraded too, and for more than the price of a console. I'm not talking thousands of pounds, but £500-600 buying pre-owned parts that last for 7 or so years is still more expensive.

In theory the consoles are supposed to last for 7 years but last generation they had the red lights and yellow lights so many people had to buy another one.

This leads to incompatibilities with older games, more errors, which isn't a problem for consoles which last decades, theoretically forever. Another one is that most people don't have a way of playing PC in bed.

The next hen consoles can't play old games anyway they are not backwards compatable but I agree there are some compatibility issues with PC games. You can play PC games in bed just use a wireless keyboard and mouse or a 360 controller with wireless receiver.
Go for a mid-end gaming PC and you'll be golden. Huge amount of great exclusives, lots of multiples and a great online community across Steam, Origin and GoG(and others). Oh and mods. And graphics. Skip the PS4 and XB1. If you can't afford the PC, go for a Wii U. Has TONNES of exclusives worth playing. I wouldn't touch the PS4 or Xbone with a barge pole as they're so generic, boring and have boring exclusives
Original post by al_94
That may not make much difference to you but to many they see 60 FPS especially as much better.

In theory the consoles are supposed to last for 7 years but last generation they had the red lights and yellow lights so many people had to buy another one.

You can play PC games in bed just use a wireless keyboard and mouse or a 360 controller with wireless receiver.

- And many won't see the difference.

- I don't know how the current consoles are holding up, and it's hard to compare console failure rates with PC part failure rates. Some people will have got a replacement or repair due to it being in warranty. The consoles after launch were pretty much reliable. I don't know anyone who knows anyone who had any problems myself.

- The PC's monitor will still be at the other side of the room. Or another room entirely. For many people, playing in bed would require constantly lugging the PC and monitor back and forth. Plus using a mouse and a keyboard in bed is just going to be awkward.
(edited 9 years ago)

Downsides to PCs are that you can't just start playing. You need the right PC, and then hope you don't get any errors for a start. PCs have to be upgraded too, and for more than the price of a console. I'm not talking thousands of pounds, but £500-600 buying pre-owned parts that last for 7 or so years is still more expensive. This leads to incompatibilities with older games, more errors, which isn't a problem for consoles which last decades, theoretically forever. Another one is that most people don't have a way of playing PC in bed.

Difference between 30fps and 60fps is certainly noticable. Old games come out on steam like Final Fantasy and can be played on the PC fine, incompatibilities can usually be resolved quite easily. You use your PC for more than gaming and movies so the higher cost is probably worth it, I paid around £400 to build my pc and is almost on the level of a PS4/XBOX One and can play games like Far Cry 4 on almost max settings. PC games are generally way cheaper than consoles, Steam sales proves this. As the other poster said, you can get a wireless keyboard and mouse to play from your bed.

Big downside to PC gaming is that you need to be a techie to know what parts to buy to build a good gaming PC for a decent price and you lose the fun of playing with your mates in your room. The latter is the main reason why I bought a PS4.

- The PC's monitor will still be at the other side of the room. Or another room entirely. For many people, playing in bed would require constantly lugging the PC and monitor back and forth. Plus using a mouse and a keyboard in bed is just going to be awkward.

You do know that you can connect your PC to TV's nowdays? Buy a big LCD TV for your room and problem solved. You can buy a wireless controller your pc if a mouse and keyboard is awkward although that point is more of a personal preference.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
You do know that you can connect your PC to TV's nowdays? Buy a big LCD TV for your room and problem solved. You can buy a wireless controller your pc if a mouse and keyboard is awkward although that point is more of a personal preference.

And how is the issue of moving the computer back and forth solved? Also, there won't be more than one TV/monitor for some people. You've just suggested solving a problem by buying a new giant TV. Come on.
And how is the issue of moving the computer back and forth solved? Also, there won't be more than one TV/monitor for some people. You've just suggested solving a problem by buying a new giant TV. Come on.

Why would you need to move the computer back and forth when you can just keep it in your bedroom and use a TV screen as the monitor permenantly? You will need to buy a monitor for your pc anyway so just get a TV for it, doesn't need to be a giant 40 inch one, around 30 inch will do and they aren't expensive. Not many people would intend to keep moving their PS4/Xbox One around so why does a computer need to be moved around?
Original post by samir12
Why would you need to move the computer back and forth when you can just keep it in your bedroom and use a TV screen as the monitor permenantly? You will need to buy a monitor for your pc anyway so just get a TV for it, doesn't need to be a giant 40 inch one, around 30 inch will do and they aren't expensive. Not many people would intend to keep moving their PS4/Xbox One around so why does a computer need to be moved around?

Wow, you actually mentioned a 40 inch, then a 30 inch. Then said they aren't expensive.

Sorry, but you are in a completely different demographic to the one I'm describing, and it's one that isn't very knowledgable of the main chunk of society, and you're just not going to understand that people will have different setups, ideals etc. Everything can be explained away with utterly ridiculous suggestions like this, which is sensible and logical to you, but you're the opposite of some of those I describe, and these suggestions are ludicrous in other households.

Either way, the fact remains is that I described preferences, why people will prefer PC or console, or both, so trying to correct them shows ignorance to others' preference.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow, you actually mentioned a 40 inch, then a 30 inch. Then said they aren't expensive.

Sorry, but you are in a completely different demographic to the one I'm describing, and it's one that isn't very knowledgable of the main chunk of society, and you're just not going to understand that people will have different setups, ideals etc. Everything can be explained away with utterly ridiculous suggestions like this, which is sensible and logical to you, but you're the opposite of some of those I describe, and these suggestions are ludicrous in other households.

Either way, the fact remains is that I described preferences, why people will prefer PC or console, or both, so trying to correct them shows ignorance to others' preference.

I was replying to your point that people cannot play PC from their bed. I probably didn't understand what you were saying properly but your last paragraph made it clear to what you really was saying so apologies for that.

Of course its all about personal preference, I was just suggesting a way people can PC game from their bed, if they intend to game from their bed using a console then they would have to buy a tv for their room anyway so it's not a totally ridiculous suggestion.
Reply 30
PS4!!

I'll tell you what you'll never get on xbox; naughty dog. Honestly, the last of us and the uncharted games didn't win game of the year and all manner of other awards for no reason. These guys are amazing developers. Uncharted games look fantastic and are good fun with added humour between the characters. The last of us is a brilliantly written story and can completely get your emotions twitching. (Crap, I shouldn't admit that as a guy should I..)

Not to mention drive club is pretty good, and any cross-plats like BF4, Far Cry, Assassins Creed etc you may as well get them on the console that generally has the better showing of them.

Or if you have ADHD just get COD.
Pc > Wii-U > Ps4 > Xbone
Well, PS4 is beating Xbox One in sales. In my opinion, a PS4 is better because of the features... Better graphics and more features (hence the reason why it has sold more).

Original post by chromesilver7
Well, PS4 is beating Xbox One in sales. In my opinion, a PS4 is better because of the features... Better graphics and more features (hence the reason why it has sold more).

That's not why the PS4 winning, you just sound like a marketing guy. "Better graphics" even though the graphics of both consoles are pretty much the same, and no noticable difference to most if not all people. "More features" without saying what these features are, or whether they even matter. Then a joke that doesn't even work because the console is called Xbox One, and it was done way better by the originals Ronnie Corbett and Harry Enfield.

PS4 is beating Xbox One because of Xbox's disaster of a marketing campaign pushing Kinect, online 24/7, not being able to use pre-owned games etc. so Xbox were the evil corporation and PS4 were the saviours of the industry. This only has a short-term effect as people quickly forget things, so what's most important is PS4's cheaper price.

The reasons a console beats another never boils down to graphics, tech or features. It's price and marketing. This makes Microsoft's choice to make Xbox expensive all the more off because Xbox 360 beat PS3 at first because it was cheaper and supposedly had GTA exclusive. When PS3's price went down and it had GTA (and all the rest), it started beating Xbox 360 until they both matched total sales.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just because I do not go into detail does not mean I know nothing about technology. Clearly you are trying to prove that I know nothing about it. I was just outlining some of the things which make PS4 better than Xbox One, I didn't go into detail.

'evil corporation'... 'marketing guy'... hmmm okay, maybe a bit of hypocrisy.

I just posted that picture, not to mock the Xbox, but because I remember that bit when they used it. Yet again, I do know about it...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by chromesilver7
Just because I do not go into detail does not mean I know nothing about technology. Clearly you are trying to prove that I know nothing about it. I was just outlining some of the things which make PS4 better than Xbox One, I didn't go into detail.

'evil corporation'... 'marketing guy'... hmmm okay, maybe a bit of hypocrisy.

I just posted that picture, not to mock the Xbox, but because I remember that bit when they used it. Yet again, I do know about it...

- I didn't say you know nothing about technology. WTF?

- You still haven't said what features the PS4 has more of. It's no good just saying a generic term like "it has more features". It's unhelpful.

- How was any of my post trying to prove you know nothing about it? It was asking you what you knew.

- Freud says you actually know nothing about it, hence why you've jumped to this illogical conclusion. You said it, not me.

- You haven't explained the 'hypocrisy', it doesn't even make sense. Do you know the definition of hypocrisy? I'm not an evil corporation, nor have I said any catchphrases a stereotypical marketing man would've said.

- I didn't say you posted that picture to mock the Xbox. Again, Freud dictates that you saying that out of nowhere means you were meant to mock Xbox. I don't care who you mock.

- I don't see how you knowing about any Xboxes is relevant to the picture, joke or reasoning behind it.
My mistake for jumping to conclusions...

I apologise
Reply 37
That's not why the PS4 winning, you just sound like a marketing guy. "Better graphics" even though the graphics of both consoles are pretty much the same, and no noticable difference to most if not all people. "More features" without saying what these features are, or whether they even matter. Then a joke that doesn't even work because the console is called Xbox One, and it was done way better by the originals Ronnie Corbett and Harry Enfield.

PS4 is beating Xbox One because of Xbox's disaster of a marketing campaign pushing Kinect, online 24/7, not being able to use pre-owned games etc. so Xbox were the evil corporation and PS4 were the saviours of the industry. This only has a short-term effect as people quickly forget things, so what's most important is PS4's cheaper price.

The reasons a console beats another never boils down to graphics, tech or features. It's price and marketing. This makes Microsoft's choice to make Xbox expensive all the more off because Xbox 360 beat PS3 at first because it was cheaper and supposedly had GTA exclusive. When PS3's price went down and it had GTA (and all the rest), it started beating Xbox 360 until they both matched total sales.

TBH i have heard a lot of people say the graphics on the PS4 are better are noticable than the xbox 1
My mate has both and he said he noticed that much better graphics on the PS4 than the xbox 1
Well to be fair, the PS4 has a hardware which is slightly more powerful than the Xbox One's. Xbox One just focuses a lot on the voice-controlled features and not so much on the actual gaming, etc.

The Xbox One's GPU has 12 GCN ... Meanwhile the PS4's GPU has 18 GCN... Therefore, the PS4 has that advantage in the graphics (as I explained previously). Moreover, the games run at a full-HD resolution on the PS4, while it is less so for the Xbox-One, resulting in the PS4 having more smooth and visually appealing effects during game-play. The controller itself for the PS4 has a touch-screen and can be used for different purposes in-game and out, adding to the ingenuity to the PS4.

I can go on...
Original post by xxvine
TBH i have heard a lot of people say the graphics on the PS4 are better are noticable than the xbox 1
My mate has both and he said he noticed that much better graphics on the PS4 than the xbox 1

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest