Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Should we all face the fact non STEM subjects are inferior to STEM Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    Really? You're not? For starters, we're already off topic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I give up. It's quite clear that you are not prepared to accept that the subjects could be of equal importance in varying contexts, and the OP only created this hackneyed thread to create inflammatory responses such as the 'debate' between us both on a day when it was most likely to generate infamy. Happy New Year!

ReputationRep:
    Is there any data about stating:

A-level Maths results at A*
    A-level History results at A*

Both with the amount of people entered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Walters)

Why? That's not even usable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkathryn08)
    I do STEM subjects and English lit and I find English lit the hardest to get consistently good grades it. It depends on the person, it would seem that I am more suited to STEM subjects.
    Exactly.

I believe anyone could knuckle down, understand and memorize the concepts for a Biology exam and get good marks. You cannot do that for A level English because shock horror! You actually have to think on the spot instead of being a drone and just regurgitating complicated facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    Why? That's not even usable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its more direct towards people whom are saying STEM subjects post a higher academic difficulty.

Its a STEM subject against a non STEM project at the same academic level.

But in reference to the thread title. Define inferior in context.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks lass.

So summing up averages of A* % results in 2014.

Non STEM subjects: 6.2% (1.D.P)

STEM subjects: 9.8% (1.D.P)

Ignoring critical thinking and general studies

Lets compare directly what people seem to state as a subject being Psychology and what people seem to rave about further maths.

Psychology: 4.8% Achieving A*
    Further Maths: 26.5% Achieving A*

Bit of a disparity there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks lass.

Lets compare directly what people seem to state as a subject being Psychology and what people seem to rave about further maths.

What do you think that proves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What do you think that proves?
    Its just a stab at the statement that STEM subjects are harder than non STEM subjects with regards to academic rigor. So just comparing them at the same academic level.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is studying both at degree level, I'd say they're hard in their own ways. I think it's unfair to say that all STEM are harder than non STEM, they're incomparable and often it's down to ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks lass.

This doesn't prove anything. There are other factors at play. Everyone taking A2 further maths is good at maths, but not everyone taking A2 psychology is good at psychology. People taking maths will also understand what they need to do to get an A*. Also, more intelligent people will gravitate towards more difficult subjects. You would need to look at people who take both subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Its just a stab at the statement that STEM subjects are harder than non STEM subjects with regards to academic rigor. So just comparing them at the same academic level.
    What other interpretations have you considered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    This doesn't prove anything. There are other factors at play. Everyone taking A2 further maths is good at maths, but not everyone taking A2 psychology is good at psychology. Also, more intelligent people will gravitate towards more difficult subjects.
    It proves more people get A* grades in STEM subjects than non STEM subjects at the same academic level. Regardless of reasons.

Have you got data to prove your points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What other interpretations have you considered?
    No interpretation at all. Simply looking at the data. That's all I'm stating.

ReputationRep:
    It proves more people get A* grades in STEM subjects than non STEM subjects at the same academic level. Regardless of reasons.

You can't draw conclusions from the data without eliminating the other factors. As you do not have enough information, you cannot use the data at all. I wish people studying non STEM subjects studied statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    You can't draw conclusions from the data without eliminating the other factors. As you do not have enough information, you cannot use the data at all. I wish people studying non STEM subjects studied statistics.
    You say that as it does not suit your view points. Ive compared directly the % of A* grades of 2014. Ive made no conclusion from it nor am I trying to. Simply putting the data up there for people to see.

But just for the record here. I am a student studying a STEM subject. Ive also studied statistics at Level 5.

The numbers Iv'e posted are the % of A* grades averaged over a number of subjects. Split into two groups. STEM and non STEM. Eliminating critical thinking and general studies.

Make what you want to of it.

ReputationRep:

I agree your data shows that more people who complete a full A level in STEM subjects get an A* then in non STEM subjects, but there are a whole host of other factors you have to take into account:

• the average entry qualifications of the people starting different courses
    • the % of people who drop out between the start of AS and the end of A2 - as an example, 97.3% of people taking AS English in England in 2014 passed it, but only 85.7% of people taking Maths did (http://www.jcq.org.uk/examination-re...ts-summer-2014
    • the spread of achievement - I would hypothesise that there are more extremes of ability in STEM subjects than non-STEM subjects, i.e. more people get top grades but more people fail.

The Govt publishes data predicting A level grades in different subjects based on a pupil's mean GCSE results. (These predictions are made based on prior pupils' performance). I don't have the data to hand but, in general, STEM subjects, languages and History come out as harder. However, all these averages hide the massive differences between different people - all my family find it easier to do well in Maths and Sciences than Arts subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I agree your data shows that more people who complete a full A level in STEM subjects get an A* then in non STEM subjects, but there are a whole host of other factors you have to take into account:

• the average entry qualifications of the people starting different course
    • the % of people who drop out between the start of AS and the end of A2 - as an example, 97.3% of people taking AS English in England in 2014 passed it, but only 85.7% of people taking Maths did (http://www.jcq.org.uk/examination-re...ts-summer-2014
    • the spread of achievement - I would hypothesise that there are more extremes of ability in STEM subjects than non-STEM subjects, i.e. more people get top grades but more people fail.

The Govt publishes data predicting A level grades in different subjects based on a pupil's mean GCSE results. (These predictions are made based on prior pupils performance). I don't have the data to hand but, in general, STEM subjects, languages and History come out as harder. However, all these averages hide the massive differences between different people - all my family find it easier to do well as Maths and Sciences than Arts subjects.
    I understand the statement. But It was more a quick peek at the data rather then trying to make comparison. Just to make people think about it rather than automatically assume. It really is not a black and white comparison between STEM and non STEM as many make out.

ReputationRep:
    You say that as it does not suit your view points. Ive compared directly the % of A* grades of 2014. Ive made no conclusion from it nor am I trying to. Simply putting the data up there for people to see.

But just for the record here. I am a student studying a STEM subject. Ive also studied statistics at Level 5.

The numbers Iv'e posted are the % of A* grades averaged over a number of subjects. Split into two groups. STEM and non STEM. Eliminating critical thinking and general studies.

Make what you want to of it.
    You are obviously being disingenuous and patronising. You want people to draw conclusions knowing your data is incomplete and misleading and thinking people are not as clever as you to know the difference.

If you say you have some understanding of statistics and its minimal, you would know you need to understand your population samples before drawing conclusions plus many other factors such as age of examinees, quality of teaching and the way exams are marked.

ReputationRep:
    this might be a stupid question but aren't loads of really well paid jobs nothing much to do with STEM subjects.... Like footballers, actors, models etc etc? ..... tell me if i'm wrong

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.