Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi There,

Please bear with me for a confusing post! I really need advice.

I am a Graduate medicine student in my first year.
    In the past I completed a BSc in Psychology for which I received student funding.
    I then completed a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education - a part time course which was semi funded. It was NOT a Post-graduate PGCE (see here... wiki article on levels of qualifiations... a professional certificate of education is at the same level as a bachelors degree...)
    I received some student finance for this as well as I was only being paid part-time for working alongside the course.

When I applied for student finance earlier in the year, I was pleased that my application was accepted (declared both degrees on the form, and did the online calculator first to check I was eligible, of course. Also phoned student finance 2/3 times to discuss my application and double check I would be eligible, as I never trust websites).

I applied to be income assessed, and I also found out I am entitled to receive a childcare grant towards my sons nursery, parents learning allowance and maintenance/tuition loan for some of the fees though not all. All of this allowing me to take up the place - and so I did...... relocating from Guildford to Derby with my son, age 1

All fine and dandy - received first installment in September allowing me to commence the course and pay rent/childcare/survive

3 days before christmas (2014) I received 3 or 4 letters from student loans announcing in various ways:

"You are no longer eligible for student finance because you have completed a course at the same or higher level than the one you are doing now"

?????

Obviously I'm in a bit of a panic. On phoning them, they have said my case has been resubmitted for assessment with, and I quote, "no time scale". They also said they hadnt received a childcare form which I have definitely sent (second time they have claimed not to receive and asked me to send again, the first one got found so I may give them a little more time to 'find' this one too.. but thats the least of my worries at the moment!)

I can see two possible explanations for these letters:

1. Did SLC get it wrong the first time and now they are stopping my payment?? Surely they can't be allowed to make mistakes like that and allow a person to relocate their life/child/career to another city before saying that all money will be stopped, out of the blue. Especially due to the amount I checked it was ok before applying, during the application process and onwards.

2. Is this a random error on their part and I AM entitled to the maintenance/tuition loan?

PLEASE if anyone has an insight I would appreciate advice. I'm yet to meet anyone on my course or the planet in a similar situation and waiting for student loans 'no time scale' to decide if I can continue my life as it is, doesn't really appeal.

Asking to speak to supervisors on the phone just resulted in being put on hold before being told politely that I just needed to wait 'no time scale' length of time for my application to be (mysteriously...) re assessed, again..

Why was my application even being 'reassessed' in the first place?

HELP

thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.