Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was wondering how realistic it would be to join the RAF in a pilot at the age of about 24 after I have finished a degree. I understand on the website they offer recruitment for persons between 18-25 but would they give preference to somebody on the younger side of those limits to somebody on the older side?

Basically, I am 19 years old and after my gap year I hope to go to university and achieve a MEng/Msci in Petroleum Engineering or Aerospace Engineering (undecided as to which yet) which would take me 4 years. My A-levels after a single module re-sit in maths this year should sit at A*AAA in Biology, Chemistry, Maths Mechanics and Physics. My other worry however is that I have never really been a member in the cadets/scouts or any kind of outdoor club that enhances an armed forces application. This is mainly because only recently have I seriously considered the forces as a future career path. I have a fair bit of volunteer work (care homes/charity shops/WE at a hospital) under my belt but little in the way of the kind of physical outdoor experience that might give me an advantage over competition.

I am willing to change this, however I am unsure as to what kind of activities/hobbies I could participate in to enhance to my future application as I am near enough too old for cadets/scouts. Any suggestions on how I can work on an application over the coming 4 years would be fantastic.

Finally, is there much chance for a person like me with little experience in early life for a career as a pilot in the RAF? I understand the application process is fiercely competitive and many of my competitors will likely have far more experience than myself and will have worked towards the application for all of their lives.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I didn't make much sense - had very little sleep recently! :K:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Go to uni, look to join the University Air Squadron while you are there. It would give you everything and more in relation to your questions and concerns.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.