Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official Edexcel S3 thread Wednesday 20 May 2015 Morning [6691] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCMed96)
    For christ sake... i don't know how many marks i actually lost.... i am just avoiding the fact that there is no more A* for me....

How does edexcel actually calculate the FM grades.... I took 12 modules, but what three modules are actually used for the A2 fm modules? (I take c1-4, s1-3, M1-2, Fp1-2, D1)
    I guess Fp2 is a must, then 2 other modules... Is m2 and s2 possible? [providing that i mucked up s3)
    S3 is not allowed in regular maths. You can't have a higher module in a 'lower' qualification unfortunately
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Link to the fp2 thread???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've look at a past mark scheme

You would get mark for correct hypothesis.

a mark for correct critical value and statement e.g. reject h0.

a mark if you get final conclusion right e.g. model suitable or not

that's it really. sucks

ReputationRep:
    a* boundaries have been
    2010 - 68
    2011 - 69
    2012 - 68
    2013 - 68
    2014 - 69

The thing is, I wouldn't say any of those papers involve a question as awkward as 5d so accounting for that pretty big question, even if 1-4 were very standard, you'd expect a slight drop, with the "hard" questions from previous years not being quite as bad as this year's. Add to that the strangeness of the following question 6 (I'd imagine there would be quite frequently some marks lost from mistakes in the uniform bit and calculating r and s particularly) and I'd say maybe drop it down a couple. Plus, the difficulty of that last question is amplified by its following of 5d, many probably wouldn't have approached it with the happiest/clearest of minds...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    a* boundaries have been
    2010 - 68
    2011 - 69
    2012 - 68
    2013 - 68
    2014 - 69

The thing is, I wouldn't say any of those papers involve a question as awkward as 5d so accounting for that pretty big question, even if 1-4 were very standard, you'd expect a slight drop, with the "hard" questions from previous years not being quite as bad as this year's. Add to that the strangeness of the following question 6 (I'd imagine there would be quite frequently some marks lost from mistakes in the uniform bit and calculating r and s particularly) and I'd say maybe drop it down a couple. Plus, the difficulty of that last question is amplified by its following of 5d, many probably wouldn't have approached it with the happiest/clearest of minds...
    As well as the confidence intervals question, can see a lot messing that up by either not timesing by rt100 then dividing by rt150, AND some will have used the wrong mean, then a lot of people using 5% sig level for the test of mew=0.5.. Also the 'do we need to assume normally distributed' tricked quite a few people. added to that q5d and 6, it was by far the hardest paper around. Normally there would be a question about as difficult as 'do we need to assume normal' for a tricky 1-2 marks, but other than that it's usually very standard and grade boundaries are 68ish even then. Probably around 20 marks of higher level marks in this, grade boundaries have got to be VERY low surely.

However, lots of rumours going around that grade boundaries will be raised artificially this year due to government calls to make top grades harder to get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think an A was, I bombed that exam, at most got high 50s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    S3 is not allowed in regular maths. You can't have a higher module in a 'lower' qualification unfortunately
    is that a proper statement from the board? i am so worried now, especially i certificated my AS math and AS further maths

(Original post by chughes17)
    As well as the confidence intervals question, can see a lot messing that up by either not timesing by rt100 then dividing by rt150, AND some will have used the wrong mean, then a lot of people using 5% sig level for the test of mew=0.5.. Also the 'do we need to assume normally distributed' tricked quite a few people. added to that q5d and 6, it was by far the hardest paper around. Normally there would be a question about as difficult as 'do we need to assume normal' for a tricky 1-2 marks, but other than that it's usually very standard and grade boundaries are 68ish even then. Probably around 20 marks of higher level marks in this, grade boundaries have got to be VERY low surely.

However, lots of rumours going around that grade boundaries will be raised artificially this year due to government calls to make top grades harder to get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats is absolute *ollocks from the government

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I'm not mistaken that was back in 2012/13 so shouldn't play into this too much.
    One thing that might work in our favour is that I thought even the easier parts of the exam would have caught out weaker candidates more so than other papers, which I assume must matter since the boundaries go up more or less (+-1) incrementally. So to bring down the lower boundaries they must also bring down the higher boundaries, one would assume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STATER)
    If I'm not mistaken that was back in 2012/13 so shouldn't play into this too much.
    One thing that might work in our favour is that I thought even the easier parts of the exam would have caught out weaker candidates more so than other papers, which I assume must matter since the boundaries go up more or less (+-1) incrementally. So to bring down the lower boundaries they must also bring down the higher boundaries.
    This is basically what I was trying to say, thanks! Like I said it's only rumours I've heard. We'll see what the boundaries are. I think the more people that complain to them, the lower they'll be. I remember when I did C3 in June 13, people went absolutely mental and the boundaries were very low. The question that was complained about wasn't even as hard/abstract as the one we got today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the only paper, excepting the 2013 replaced C3 fiasco, I've seen come close to such out-of-nowhere difficulty (in comparison to others) is last year's FP3, which had an a* boundary of 62
    Having done that as a mock of sorts I wouldn't say this S3 paper is quite so relatively bad and realistically I couldn't see the boundaries being that low

For the record I got 5d right (I think) but used the wrong mean like you said on the confidence interval, dropped several marks on question 6; but also another problem was the standard error interpretation one; in hindsight I think I know what I should have done but it was a bit nonstandard and I wasn't quite sure what exactly they wanted so that could be another awkward question thrown into the mix

edit: also 5c could be yet another mark that many lose (I think I managed to lose it by doing it after d and babbling on about my calculations instead of saying the simple "samples not independent"), especially since understanding its answer should quite naturally lead you to the method for 5d
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayilgervinho)
    What do you guys think an A was, I bombed that exam, at most got high 50s.
    yup same here, hoping for low A high B - q 4 and 5 did me over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    yup same here, hoping for low A high B - q 4 and 5 did me over
    The exam was so misleading, the first 3 questions were easy probably got full marks for them and then the last 3 were just completely different in difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    Well the only paper, excepting the 2013 replaced C3 fiasco, I've seen come close to such out-of-nowhere difficulty (in comparison to others) is last year's FP3, which had an a* boundary of 62
    Having done that as a mock of sorts I wouldn't say this S3 paper is quite so relatively bad and realistically I couldn't see the boundaries being that low

For the record I got 5d right (I think) but used the wrong mean like you said on the confidence interval, dropped several marks on question 6; but also another problem was the standard error interpretation one; in hindsight I think I know what I should have done but it was a bit nonstandard and I wasn't quite sure what exactly they wanted so that could be another awkward question thrown into the mix
    You probably don't think it's so bad because you got 5d right, whereas a lot (probably the majority) lost ALL the marks due to not having a clue where to go with it. If you didn't spot the full solution then you probably didn't get any marks at all. Added to that the other tricky ones, I would definitely say it was on the same level as C3 june 13. At least with that it was pretty much impossible not to pick up SOME marks in the questions people didn't like. However, whether the grade boundaries will be that low I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least with that it was pretty much impossible not to pick up SOME marks in the questions people didn't like.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    This. You either got 0 or 6 on part d. In the past you could have salvaged up to 60% of the marks through standard procedure on the toughest questions.

ReputationRep:
    is that a proper statement from the board? i am so worried now, especially i certificated my AS math and AS further maths

That's what my teacher says. It makes sense though

ReputationRep:

Don't quote me on this but the full A Level certificate will include all modules
    So even though the AS has been cashed you should still be able to use any three of your A2 modules to make up the a*

But I believe it is true that modules S3-4, M3-5 can't go in regular maths

ReputationRep:
    Boundaries have shifted between 69 and 68 over past years
    I reckon it might go down to 67 but it's unlikely to be particularly low
    Then again FP3 last year was said to be super hard and accordingly the a* boundary dropped to 63 so FM boundaries are perhaps more variable than we may assume
    Yes the boundaries are more variable than you all think. Look at D1 last year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tggfootymad)
    Yes the boundaries are more variable than you all think. Look at D1 last year...
    Well the thing is if the proportion of students getting higher grades goes down over the course of a year people would probably complain about unfairness; Edexcel would effectively be suggesting that this year's cohort was worse than the previous
    Thus Edexcel can't really afford to keep the boundary so high if very few people hit such a target, so if people have really done as badly as they say, I suppose boundaries 68 and up look pretty infeasible by that reasoning
    It's just that in the wake of an exam we might overestimate it's difficulty but I think I'm coming to consider that that is unlikely to be the case here; it seems as though it was a genuinely tricky paper

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the grade bounderies last year for both paper 01 and 01/R, the grade for A dropped significantly, and it wasnt even as hard as this paper, so fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    Quick question: for the Spearman's (q1) I got \Sigma d^2 to be 60 instead of 66. How many marks would that lose me? It is the most annoying mistake ever considering it's the easiest question on the paper.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.