The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel S3 thread Wednesday 20 May 2015 Morning [6691]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iridann
I felt like 5 marks was too much. You can use a known result format for that sort of thing.

Original post by DCMed96
then how it is done then?
I realise all of this is just rote learning.... never understood any of them lol

Original post by STATER
Part a) bias = estimator - true value

Hence the bias is 1/2a.

Part b) K= 2/3 since multiplying X bar by this constant = a (unbiased estimator).

Part c) max value means you need to find the mean of the sample and substitute it to find a (using result from part b) and then substitute it into the upper limit of the interval (2a+3).

Hope the explanation is clear enough.
Edit: alpha not a

Original post by V0ldemort17

Original post by nayilgervinho
Any last minute tips.

How did it go?
did everyone get the frequencies right on questions 6? (r and s) ??? lol i panicked and did something else, which is clearly wrong
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mmms95
did everyone get the frequencies on questions 6? (r and s) ??? lol i panicked and did something else, which is clearly wrong

32 and 19.
For Q2, i used the wrong H1, right H0, i calculated the standard error correctly and the rest was incorrect, would that get me 2/8?
Reply 745
Guys

Just forget S3 now and focus on your next exam as you cannot change anything
Original post by AQUF42
Guys

Just forget S3 now and focus on your next exam as you cannot change anything

You can't tell me what to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 747
i got question 1 a wrong come on! ipanicked and described a systematic sample as the sample size was large? any marks for this?
Would any of you guys who think you got over 69ish mind helping me out here please:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3344539

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 749
Simon

no offence intended

But past is history and future is mystery so try living in the present
Original post by AQUF42
Simon

no offence intended

But past is history and future is mystery so try living in the present

None taken.
This was part of a response from Edexcel I got:

'We read all feedback from students and your specific comments have been passed to our assessment team. They will monitor all students’ responses carefully and take any action that is necessary to ensure that you are fairly rewarded for your performance.'

Thus I would encourage anyone who found that exam to be more difficult than previous years, to voice your concerns to Edexcel and ensure the grade boundaries reflect the exam's difficulty rather than giving them the impression that it was just another normal paper. This is what happened in June 2013 for C3, and an A* was 57, I personally feel this S3 was even more out of the ordinary than the June 13 C3, but the only way to ensure this is conveyed is to make sure Edexcel are made aware that paper was far harder than usual. The more people that contact them, the more they'll have to take it into account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17

'We read all feedback from students and your specific comments have been passed to our assessment team. They will monitor all students’ responses carefully and take any action that is necessary to ensure that you are fairly rewarded for your performance.'

Thus I would encourage anyone who found that exam to be more difficult than previous years, to voice your concerns to Edexcel and ensure the grade boundaries reflect the exam's difficulty rather than giving them the impression that it was just another normal paper. This is what happened in June 2013 for C3, and an A* was 57, I personally feel this S3 was even more out of the ordinary than the June 13 C3, but the only way to ensure this is conveyed is to make sure Edexcel are made aware that paper was far harder than usual. The more people that contact them, the more they'll have to take it into account.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Provide an email address and we'll send emails

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Provide an email address and we'll send emails

Posted from TSR Mobile

[email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 754

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please can everyone do this
(edited 8 years ago)

If people send emails they should really listen to us

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

why was it more out of the ordinary?
Reply 757

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly did you write in the email?
Dear Sir/Madam,

This is a complaint about the level of difficulty of the S3 exam taken on Wednesday 20th May, AM.

Having been more than sufficiently prepared (if I say so myself) by doing every past paper from 2005 onwards as well as all the Solomon's and even two IAL papers, I felt that the S3 paper I took yesterday was completely out of the water in terms of relative difficulty.

It is unfair that so many oddly worded and very difficult questions were all in the same paper. Under timed conditions, I felt as though every question I did knocked me back and hence affected the consecutive question. Whilst I understand that grade inflation does take place and difficulty must be increased year on year, I felt this paper went too far. I achieved 96% in my Mock for Statistics 3 but felt that the paper I took yesterday would have given me around 60%.

This is incredibly unfair. I may not make my University place to study Mathematics because of this one module.

I hence invite you to consider my complaint carefully and seriously and hope you take this response into account when deciding grade boundaries.

Edexcel stands for changing lives through advancing learning, but I fear that this time the changing lives will occur through harsher mediums and for the worse of the welfare of students.

Yours Sincerely,

I sent an email too, fingers crossed guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
why was it more out of the ordinary?

Almost all questions had an element which was extremely difficult in comparison to any S3 question before, and they were all in ONE paper. Especially 5d, for many self teaching further maths modules with only the textbook as a resource, it would've been near enough impossible. I certainly wasnt shown anything at all like it in the textbook..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest