Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official Edexcel S3 thread Wednesday 20 May 2015 Morning [6691] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhamm)
    It's a bit rushed, sorry! Doesn't have working for most. Thanks so much for uploading the paper kingmathematica. Did you sneak it out the hall or are you a teacher?
    If you click on dhamm's name in the quote, it'll take you to the solutions. Sorry I couldn't think of a better way of showing you the post...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    If you click on dhamm's name in the quote, it'll take you to the solutions. Sorry I couldn't think of a better way of showing you the post...
    got it! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmms95)
    hopefully its less than 65 for an a. kinda feel disappointed but the other papers were not that hard, and this one had like 2 different questions
    A is above 80? 65 out of/75 is 86% ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKay)
    You should not have become a parent, you're a joke. Is TSR the only place you can make conversation? Do you not have a job?
    (Original post by AQUF42)
    Xkay

Mind your language

U should not have taken FM
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  8.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maria_p18)
    what? i mean that i hope the boundary for a is less than 65, i hope its 60 at most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maria_p18)
    Due to people frequently scoring very highly in maths exams this tends to occur; although the raw mark boundary for 80% is 60, the UMS tend to be slightly higher than this because in most maths exams you get too many people scoring above the 80% raw mark boundary to warrant giving all of them As

what? i mean that i hope the boundary for a is less than 65, i hope its 60 at most
    It was 64 last year for imo a very simple paper (there were perhaps three marks worth of the tough stuff that made up over 10 marks of this year's (5d in particular) so I could see the boundary dropping to like late 50s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    It was 64 last year for imo a very simple paper (there were perhaps three marks worth of the tough stuff that made up over 10 marks of this year's (5d in particular) so I could see the boundary dropping to like late 50s
    true, also i think a lot of people may have rushed 6 b/c of the panic of question 5 since it was a lot of marks, so there's room for silly mistakes (plus the probability proportional to area is new, the mu=0.5 question, the standard error question and the necessary to assume means normally distributed - though that one was ok)

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be atleast 6 points of upgrade since very few managed the last part of question 5, and there were alao other problems. Also, I know many people who put the expected frequency in 5a to be 25,25,25. It will be unfair if there is no upgrade. In my school no one got above 68/75

ReputationRep:
    In my sons school this boy is a genius and he did get q 5 eventually

In his AS he got full UMS in Maths and is going to read Maths at Oxford

Even he acknowledged that it was a tough paper

He is doing 11 modules in A2

So grade boundaries will be lower but not as low as someone was suggesting to be high 50's for an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AQUF42)
    In my sons school this boy is a genius and he did get q 5 eventually

In his AS he got full UMS in Maths and is going to read Maths at Oxford

Even he acknowledged that it was a tough paper

He is doing 11 modules in A2

So grade boundaries will be lower but not as low as someone was suggesting to be high 50's for an A
    There are three papers I know of that really upped the difficulty

Though I know nothing of D1 papers, last year's apparently hard one had the A boundary dropped to 59

The FP3 exam last year had an A boundary of 55

C3 2013 had an A boundary of 50 (to be honest I would say that today's S3 was comparatively about as bad as that paper, but nevertheless I consider such an outcome utterly unthinkable)

So 50s seems reasonable to me

ReputationRep:
    There are three papers I know of that really upped the difficulty

Though I know nothing of D1 papers, last year's apparently hard one had the A boundary dropped to 59

The FP3 exam last year had an A boundary of 55

C3 2013 had an A boundary of 50 (to be honest I would say that today's S3 was comparatively about as bad as that paper, but nevertheless I consider such an outcome utterly unthinkable)

So 50s seems reasonable to me
    I don't disagree, but why is it you consider it unthinkable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chughes17)
    I don't disagree, but why is it you consider it unthinkable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Although the questions were of a similar standard, I believe that the C3 paper brought on the pain a little earlier if I'm not mistaken, potentially screwing with people/lowering confidence even more.
    But perhaps a little more importantly the further maths cohort should be stronger and although you would expect this exam to have been very difficult even for many high grade candidates, you would also expect a higher proportion of such candidates to do well than in C3, where some of the single Maths A*-B students may not be as strong as the students also expecting corresponding grades in FM.
    Also, consider the sheer volume of complaints that Edexcel must have got back then; we can hardly compete in that department - and it was a replacement paper, with the normal paper, which some schools sat, being much easier: Edexcel were just under a lot of pressure

ReputationRep:
    Although the questions were of a similar standard, I believe that the C3 paper brought on the pain a little earlier if I'm not mistaken, potentially screwing with people/lowering confidence even more.
    But perhaps a little more importantly the further maths cohort should be stronger and although you would expect this exam to have been very difficult even for many high grade candidates, you would also expect a higher proportion of such candidates to do well than in C3, where some of the single Maths A*-B students may not be as strong as the students also expecting corresponding grades in FM.
    Also, consider the sheer volume of complaints that Edexcel must have got back then; we can hardly compete in that department - and it was a replacement paper, with the normal paper, which some schools sat, being much easier: Edexcel were just under a lot of pressure
    I agree to be honest, although I think this S3 paper brought it in fairly early as well, the mew=0.5 was atypical as was the confidence interval, and from there on in it was littered with nasty questions. I think if enough people voice their opinions it would make a difference; I honestly don't think many would have got 5d at all, even if we are supposed to be a stronger cohort. We'll have to see, I think 64-66 for an A* will be the boundary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was the hardest Statistics paper I have seen I thought that it made Statistics as hard as it should be for a unit 3 module, where as most of the past papers were easy.The last question had me stumped for a bit and never before I have I seen a question where you had to use first principles in a calculation(usually its just to proof standard results).I thought the confidence interval one was nas as the first part was only 3 marks and you had to unravel it to get the mean of the sample and the standard deviation/square root n and then do the test(although thinking about it I think there was probably a much easier method by using the confidence interval).I am concerned about how they will mark the written bits though(what were you were supposed to write for the discussion on the standard error of the mean? I said it should be higher for staff and children than for staff or children as that takes into account both variances and variances add) as they are worth quite a lot on S3.I wasn't expecting to have to subtract areas on S3(I did it wrong initially and only did the area of one circle instead of the difference).

I do think grade boundaries will be significantly lower as it broke the trend that Statistics is supposed to be easy and was a challenging paper but I did manage to do the paper(timing was quite an issue though I only got to check through up to the start of question 5) and further maths grade boundaries are often higher than they ought to be because the students doing them are very good at maths and can handle virtually everything thrown at them(unless they bring out STEP questions) I do however think A-55 B-48 that is my prediction for the grade boundaries.

I found M3 much harder but it was a typical paper(unlike the unusual statistics paper, though with diagrams and angles not identified making the calculations difficult for someone who doesn't much spacial awareness) so grade boundaries will probably be about low 60s for an A(I predict A-62 B-56) but timing was a major problem with that paper as they asked for integration by parts and trapezium rule both of which consume a lot of time and I barely gave an answer for the last part of question 7 (only had time to write to one significant figure it was that tight my answer was wrong though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chughes17)
    We'll have to see, I think 64-66 for an A* will be the boundary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That I can see as very likely (I'm hoping so because I think I got about 65); the A is a little less easy to predict though, with the conversions never quite being linear

ReputationRep:
    The future S3 papers will probably be of this standard, it's unfortunate for us that we were the guinea pigs who tried this exam out. I expect higher standards across the board (particularly in FM modules)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I thought it was the hardest Statistics paper I have seen I thought that it made Statistics as hard as it should be for a unit 3 module, where as most of the past papers were easy.The last question had me stumped for a bit and never before I have I seen a question where you had to use first principles in a calculation(usually its just to proof standard results).I thought the confidence interval one was nas as the first part was only 3 marks and you had to unravel it to get the mean of the sample and the standard deviation/square root n and then do the test(although thinking about it I think there was probably a much easier method by using the confidence interval).I am concerned about how they will mark the written bits though(what were you were supposed to write for the discussion on the standard error of the mean? I said it should be higher for staff and children than for staff or children as that takes into account both variances and variances add) as they are worth quite a lot on S3.I wasn't expecting to have to subtract areas on S3(I did it wrong initially and only did the area of one circle instead of the difference).

I do think grade boundaries will be significantly lower as it broke the trend that Statistics is supposed to be easy and was a challenging paper but I did manage to do the paper(timing was quite an issue though I only got to check through up to the start of question 5) and further maths grade boundaries are often higher than they ought to be because the students doing them are very good at maths and can handle virtually everything thrown at them(unless they bring out STEP questions) I do however think A-55 B-48 that is my prediction for the grade boundaries.

I found M3 much harder but it was a typical paper(unlike the unusual statistics paper, though with diagrams and angles not identified making the calculations difficult for someone who doesn't much spacial awareness) so grade boundaries will probably be about low 60s for an A(I predict A-62 B-56) but timing was a major problem with that paper as they asked for integration by parts and trapezium rule both of which consume a lot of time and I barely gave an answer for the last part of question 7 (only had time to write to one significant figure it was that tight my answer was wrong though).
    I hope you're right about the bounderies.

Also, how comes you have so much red bars next to your name?

ReputationRep:
    I hope the FP2 exam is less 'surprising', otherwise McDonald's is gonna be my 9-5...real talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevangPatz50)
    I hope the FP2 exam is less 'surprising', otherwise McDonald's is gonna be my 9-5...real talk

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol, same, but i have a feeling it will be

ReputationRep:
    lol, same, but i have a feeling it will be
    Will be surprising or less surprising?
    Also ehat do you think about M2 and S2

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.