Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of building a myriad of certificates with Future Learn, only thing is, I don't know how good they are.

Has anyone done any course(s) with them before, if so, what did you think?

ReputationRep:
    I've done 2 psychology courses with FutureLearn. They're alright I guess but I'll admit that I didn't keep up to speed as I was always a week behind although it was my fault. But overall they were good. Informative. What more do you want?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilyghz)
    I've done 2 psychology courses with FutureLearn. They're alright I guess but I'll admit that I didn't keep up to speed as I was always a week behind although it was my fault. But overall they were good. Informative. What more do you want?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, I was thinking of doing a few Psychology ones, just because it's an interesting subject, and the more you know..

I can imagine I'd be the same, did you ever end up taking the exams for them, or not?

Thanks for the information!!

ReputationRep:
    I've done a research project course and a Psychology course and I loved both of them, especially the latter. Some are a lot of work/hours per week though so it's only worth participating if you're willing to keep up and complete all of the tasks. It's great that it's free too. Although, the certificates are £25 each or something so that's one expensive collection...

ReputationRep:
    I've done a Pharmacy (The Science of Medicines) course there and started a programming course. Honestly, the Pharmacy course was amazing and really helped give me something to talk about at my uni interview. You have the chance of getting a certificate but it depends how formal you want to make it. Support was really good, the website design is good and I like how you can do the work when you want (so if you have more free time than you thought then you can go a week ahead although there will be slightly less support for obvious reasons).
    I sound very positive here because, well, my experience was very positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amberskye)
    I've done a research project course and a Psychology course and I loved both of them, especially the latter. Some are a lot of work/hours per week though so it's only worth participating if you're willing to keep up and complete all of the tasks. It's great that it's free too. Although, the certificates are £25 each or something so that's one expensive collection...
    Do the certificates look decent, or is it just literally a piece of paper? I want something to hang on my wall :holmes:
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    OK so I had a quick look at their courses, and they don't sound as rigorous as edX. I'd recommend checking that out, it started as a Harvard-MIT initiative and has quickly expanded. Unless I'm missing some USP of this FutureLearn platform?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've done a couple of FutureLearn courses, and they're pretty good I studied 'Medicines Adherence', 'Inside Cancer: How Genes Influence Cancer Development', and 'The Science of Medicines'. They were all really interesting, and usually include some links/ books for additional reading if you're interested. They mainly teach by videoed lectures, although one course had some optional seminars where you could go along to Bath Uni (or watch online) and ask them questions (or ask them online). They also include some short sections of reading to do, and occasionally peer-marked work.

The courses were entirely assessed based on your participation - so after each video or bit of writing or whatever you ticked a box saying you had completed that section. Obviously, you could just go through them all and tick them as done - but the whole point of the courses is really for the information rather than the certificate tbh.

The certificates are 25 pounds each - but if you really enjoyed the course/ it might be useful at some point then you could consider buying one. The good thing is that you can purchase them any time after the course has finshed - unalike some other online courses where you have to pay in advance of taking the course.

If you're interested in other online courses, I wrote a blog post comparing online course providers last summer if you want to have a read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Do the certificates look decent, or is it just literally a piece of paper? I want something to hang on my wall :holmes:
    Thanks!!

They provide this as their sample image for certificates. They aren't the most thrilling of things considering they say you've "completed the majority of the course" so errr... decide for yourself?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    OK so I had a quick look at their courses, and they don't sound as rigorous as edX. I'd recommend checking that out, it started as a Harvard-MIT initiative and has quickly expanded. Unless I'm missing some USP of this FutureLearn platform?
    This, just this.

I just gave edX a look at and they have a whole myriad of courses and then some, some of which might be useful for when I apply for a PG course at RHUL!

Thanks!! :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Thanks!!
    They're nice quality, with an embossed finish. Plus it's proof that you completed the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amberskye)
    They're nice quality, with an embossed finish. Plus it's proof that you completed the course
    :sexface:

Perhaps it'll look nice on my wall then!

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand this future learn course, is it beneficial to us when we apply to university, does it help in anyway???
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemo1234)
    i dont understand this future learn course, is it beneficial to us when we apply to university, does it help in anyway???
    mooc's can be beneficial as it shows you've self studied something small at potentially a uni level, its something you can mention in your personal statement briefly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    mooc's can be beneficial as it shows you've self studied something small at potentially a uni level, its something you can mention in your personal statement briefly.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I signed up for a course on Future learn (Biochemistry) but unfortunately 1 of those weeks (out of 3 weeks) are during exams. Is there a certain time limit for the hours you're meant to do or can I catch up other weeks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemo1234)
    Surely it is better than nothing

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.